'Australia vs New Zealand'

Thread: 'Australia vs New Zealand'

That's nothing, there's still animosity dating back about 40 years or so to a very controversial cricket match between us and them!
    Used to be a standard chant from Aussie sporting fans along the lines of 'We don't care who wins as long as we beat New Zealand'.
    Of course, if any person or country has a go at the Kiwis they take on the Aussies as well.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Personally, I think Will Power deserves the right to be angry...... An odd manoeuvre by Scott Dixon. (I just watched the images and not listen to their comments).

Cheers,
    Huub

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    That's nothing, there's still animosity dating back about 40 years or so to a very controversial cricket match between us and them!
    Used to be a standard chant from Aussie sporting fans along the lines of 'We don't care who wins as long as we beat New Zealand'.
    Of course, if any person or country has a go at the Kiwis they take on the Aussies as well.
    LoL interesting!

To elaborate on 'That' cricket match and I quote:
    "The underarm bowling incident of 1981 is a sporting controversy that took place on 1 February 1981, when Australia played New Zealand in a One Day International cricket match, the third in the best-of-five final of the 1980–81 World Series Cup, at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

With one ball of the final over remaining in the match, New Zealand required a six to tie the match. To ensure that New Zealand were unable to achieve this, the Australian captain Greg Chappell instructed his bowler (and younger brother) Trevor Chappell to deliver the last ball to batsman Brian McKechnie underarm along the ground. Trevor Chappell did so, forcing McKechnie to play the ball defensively, meaning Australia won. This action, although legal at the time, was nevertheless widely perceived as being wholly against the traditional spirit of cricketing fair play.

The outrage caused by the incident eventually led to an official amendment to the international laws of cricket to prevent it from occurring again."

I remember it quite well as we were enjoying a typical summer Sunday BBQ and watching the cricket as was normal for my circle of friends.
    We were rather unsporting and applauded loudly when the Kiwis were dealt the fatal blow.

We don't care who wins as long as we beat New Zealand.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0