Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 Trailer
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 Trailer

Icon4 Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 Trailer

Very impressive. We have a lot to look forward to. Thanks for the heads up.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Isn't MSFS/FS2020 still under development, seems a bit early to be announcing a successor?
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I see a lot of MS2020 payware in there, including the searchlight A-10...
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Yep, the visuals are stunning and another step upwards from MSFS. But the whole mission and career stuff really turns me off, personally.

So itīs waiting for more information how much "pure" flightsim there will be left on the inside of the pollished surface.

Regards
    Alex
    Dont grow up! ... Itīs a trap!

Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

In the past this would have got me excited - but have mixed feelings. I suspect we'll naturally see a slowdown in promised updates from Asobo / MS, likewise third party development for MSFS2020 as developers figure our what will work in the new environment.

Probably selfish thoughts as all we're seeing is a return to the old style of regular upgrades that we saw with FS98, FS2000, FS2002 etc ..... The world moves on and we can choose to stand still or move with it. My only concern would be if MS forced their customers to upgrade by cutting the feed of online scenery data MS2020 users at some point after the release of the new version.

This raises about 100x more questions than answers. Some of the questions are:

Should we immediately stop buying any addons for MSFS20, since who knows if they will be compatible/included in MSFS24?

Does this mean the many bugs that have been around since Day 1 will never be fixed in MSFS20?

What do all those scenes of people walking to planes etc. mean in the trailer? Cutscenes? Or will be now be controlling an avatar that walks around and does other stuff besides flying planes?

Most of all, are we chumps for investing in MSFS as a platform expecting it to be continually upgraded, when really we have just been beta testing the engine for this new game that we will have to buy from scratch?

All in all, I have a bad feeling I might be about to be fleeced here. It almost feels like being a Madden player.

August

Yes, they have a lot of questions to be answered!

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024/?fbclid=IwAR3rMiw5YeUM2bAwYhcimTFQLsu2__zUZbQV-bMM4MA1wTN6bVEa87ocea4

"Pursue your dream of an aviation career with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. This brand-new simulator is designed to take advantage of the latest technologies in simulation, cloud, machine learning, graphics and gaming to create the most sophisticated, immersive and awe-inspiring flight simulator of all time. To achieve this unprecedented level of accuracy, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine. Available day one on Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Windows 10/11, and Steam. Coming 2024. We look forward to sharing more information about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 in the future."

Of course in the past, Mircrosoft released a new flight sim as often as every two years (FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004). It however does make for a slightly different interpretation than what perhaps most people, like myself, were thinking when they were saying over the past few years that they were committing to at least a 10 year (or more) development period for Flight Simulator.

Asobo/Microsoft are certainly going to have to go on record very soon to clarify level of compatibility with existing addons for MSFS2020 going forward into MSFS2024, especially for the sake of the sustainability, between now and then, of payware companies. Of course I don't believe there is going to be any real issues, but there are already a lot of people all over online right now saying that they are going to stop buying any new addons until they know for sure they're going to work next year in this sim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    Yes, they have a lot of questions to be answered! https://www.flightsimulator.com/micr...TN6bVEa87ocea4"Pursue your dream of an aviation career with Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024. This brand-new simulator is designed to take advantage of the latest technologies in simulation, cloud, machine learning, graphics and gaming to create the most sophisticated, immersive and awe-inspiring flight simulator of all time. To achieve this unprecedented level of accuracy, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 is powered by the significantly evolved Asobo Studio engine. Available day one on Xbox Game Pass, PC Game Pass, Xbox Cloud Gaming, Windows 10/11, and Steam. Coming 2024. We look forward to sharing more information about Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 in the future." Of course in the past, Mircrosoft released a new flight sim as often as every two years (FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004). It however does make for a slightly different interpretation than what perhaps most people, like myself, were thinking when they were saying over the past few years that they were committing to at least a 10 year (or more) development period for Flight Simulator. Asobo/Microsoft are certainly going to have to go on record very soon to clarify level of compatibility with existing addons for MSFS2020 going forward into MSFS2024, especially for the sake of the sustainability, between now and then, of payware companies. Of course I don't believe there is going to be any real issues, but there are already a lot of people all over online right now saying that they are going to stop buying any new addons until they know for sure they're going to work next year in this sim.
    I just assumed this was just a the next "upgrade" of what we're already using, but as you noted, MS has once again ham handedly handled this announcement. It's MS, so I'm not surprised. Do I have to buy a whole new simulator again? Is it an upgrade to what we already have? The fact that they didn't just let us know in the announcement is just poor form. Although, I must say I'm stoked to be getting an Ornithopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    I see a lot of MS2020 payware in there, including the searchlight A-10...
    The SF50 VisionJet is in their too.

Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

After watching the short film, I didn't see anything that would interest me.
    It looks too much like a new game rather than making MSFS 2020 a better simulator.

So far, 737NG Driver has the best immediate reaction that I have seen on YT.

As he points out, FS2024 seems to be very narrative mission driven. The missions displayed in the trailer display a super level of detail, unlikely to be feasible to implement on a global basis. So if I had to guess, it will be a re-release of FS2020, maybe with slightly improved basic sim and scenery, but mostly, hand-built hyper detailed local areas, and new/licensed aircraft, for the featured missions. The "open world" experience of FS2024 (to use the gaming term) would not be much changed from now, so you'd be buying the new product for the sake of the linear missions - and out of concern that support for FS2020 will dry up.

Nothing in the new trailer attracts me personally enough to justify buying a new product, especially if it borked the many planes and airports I've bought. If there were a modestly priced upgrade path and existing addons were compatible, I'd consider it. Otherwise - well, I'm no stranger to flying legacy sims, with FS9, IL2:1946, CFS3, FSX, and P3D still on my HD and seeing varying degrees of continued use.

August

They said that MSFS would be with us for 10 years. If they're making us buy another sim before that, I'm changing hobbies.

If P3Dv6 comes out before that, I'm rethinking.

Hell, this hobby is becoming more expensive than a sex or drug addiction...

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    including the searchlight A-10...
    The A-10 seems to be a new DC Designs creation, Dean was hinting about this on his Discord months ago. https://discord.com/channels/1014154...65057939259442

I think this is a collection of major enhancements to the current sim, packaged up as a complete new version. Next year, it will sell far better if rebranded MSFS 2024, than something from four years ago. In other word, a marketing ploy.

This great YT video has some valid points, and logically answers many questions.
    It's like going from FS2004 to FSX, after all .......

https://youtu.be/y_2NooZ0P5A

My newly built rig has arrived and is in boxes next to me.
    The urgency to get everything up and running MSFS2020, with this news, has now waned.
    Time to make some popcorn .....
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

From my view in the CFS2 basement is that FS2020 is just starting to take root and yet MS is abandoning it already.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

While I agree the messaging here is awful, I really doubt they will just be abandoning FS2020. That wouldn't make any sense at all. Jorg isn't stupid, Phil Spencer isn't stupid, Seb isn't stupid. I have a hard time believing they would throw away all the goodwill that they themselves worked hard to establish since the return of Flight Simulator was first announced.

They already have the userbase, the marketplace does well for them and is already well established, we've gotten 3 years worth of free updates and new content on top recent changes like the discount on MS published addons for premium deluxe owners.

If I had to guess, my money would be on FS2024 being a paid but optional upgrade for current owners, they stop selling what is currently FS2020 and instead only sell the "complete" experience as FS2024, that way they can continue to charge full price for what will be a 4 year old game and they make another marketing push to try to appeal to more players and bring in new customers.

I think the mystery as to why you buy points not products on the Marketplace might have been solved...

I love conjecture as much as the next feller - but to really know what is going on with this update/addon/expansion/sequel thing, we are going to have to wait
    until Jorg and co. spell it out. Soup to Nuts
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Not sure whats with all the negativity. They said they made a 10yr commitment to Flight Sim. I sure as heck didnt expect to have the title MSFS2020 in the year 2030. Im looking at this as a positive move forward until I hear officially otherwise. Why would they mess up everything they've built over the last 3 years? This just looks like loads more fun to me.

I am hoping that the PC system specs required to run this "new" sim will not have changed much since msfs 2020, or at least not much. I know I will have to replace my PC eventually, but am not ready to do that yet. NC

Matt Booty, head of Microsoft Studios, heavily implies this is an update to the existing platform in an interview with Jeff Grubb of Giant Bomb:

Jeff Grubb: "Flight Simulator 2024, this is a new release, right?"

Matt Booty: "Yeah, so the team felt, there was enough improvement in what we are doing with graphics, it doesn't come through, sometimes I say to them, you guys are being a little subtle, and they assume that everybody is an airplane nerd. I don't know if you noticed, there's a tornado in that trailer. It's not canned, it happens because we're simulating weather. So, their advances in graphics in terms of how they're simulating the atmosphere and the flight dynamics, they felt it was enough of a leap forward to call it 2024, that'll be the new baseline going forward."

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpotlessEasy...gZARe69aHYVGHO

Microsoft has just posted this FAQ page about FS2024, clearly in direct response to the most pressing questions/concerns expressed by the community thus-far: https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-faq/?fbclid=IwAR1f-br1bZJjF9_kqb6a7rdHf825xfqvFnLJ-9Vv-9dD9VHQF-xI_fw9jcU

AK416, it is neat to hear that the tornadoes will actually be weather-implemented in the sim, and not just added for a staged mission. In the scene in the trailer showing the crop spraying, I'm also hoping too that the detail shown in the field is indicative of what farmer's fields will now look like, all over, when close to the ground, and not just in a hand-crafted scenery. The trees/plant life really look stunning in the previews, and once again, my thoughts turn to whether or not we'll see that all over the world in this new version, or just in certain spots. The new Grand Canyon scenery looks stunning.

Members who have read this thread: 1