P3Dv4+ Douglas DC-7 Airtanker Pack V2.0

Thread: P3Dv4+ Douglas DC-7 Airtanker Pack V2.0

P3Dv4+ Douglas DC-7 Airtanker Pack V2.0

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category P3D / P4D Add-Ons - Civilian aircraft

Description: This is a significant update and addition to the original DC-7 airtanker pack I released for FSX/P3D. This new version has a number of updates, including PBR, updated sounds, updated 4K textures, and additional new tank models and liveries. The Douglas DC-7s flew in firefighting service from the late 1960s until 2020, where Erickson Aero retired the last 3 firefighting DC-7s. The DC-7s were largely modified by Aero Union in the late 60s and early 70s with a 3,000 gallon retardant water tank. The DC-7s incredible speed and carrying capability made it a viable tanker for over 40 years. This package holds two model variations representing the DC-7, DC-7B, and DC-7C as they flew as airtankers. There are 10 total repaints representing Erickson Aero, Butler Aviation, T&G Aviation, and Central Air Services. The fantastic original aircraft was created by the crew at Cal Classic Propliners and credit and thanks for their permission to modify and create these iconic variants of the DC-7 belong to Tom Gibson, FSAVIATOR, Jens Kristensen, and Greg Pepper. Airtanker modifications done by Nicholas Mitchell "Scorch00." This variant is only compatible with P3Dv4+.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit P3Dv4+ Douglas DC-7 Airtanker Pack V2.0
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Very nice work, as always. A fun VR experience in P3Dv5. I have one question. My oil pressure gauges read 0 and I get oil pressure warning lights throughout the flight. Is there something I'm missing in the start sequence?

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Very nice work, as always. A fun VR experience in P3Dv5. I have one question. My oil pressure gauges read 0 and I get oil pressure warning lights throughout the flight. Is there something I'm missing in the start sequence?

August
    Thank you!

I went and read through the start sequence provided by Cal Classics with the upload and the best to my looking it doesn't state anything worthy to solve that, which I admit I did not check this specifically prior. And it is pretty basic in the dc7_check and the dc7_REF readme files for the specific cruise engine settings etc. I also tried looking for any caution/warning light indicators and there aren't any to really follow to diagnose a potential issue. It could also be parameter differences between P3D and FSX/FS9. The ref documents say it was updated in 2013, so it's possible there's an inaccuracy in some gauge readout/limitation with the sim. It may not be anything you're doing wrong. Sorry it's not a specific answer.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Thanks for the response! Yes, I thought it might be that the variable or something has changed over the years. Seeing "Copyright 2002" in the panel.cfg file was kind of a tip-off that it might not be up-to-date! I looked at the gauge xml files, and it looks like the variable changed from "Eng1 Oil Pressure" to "Eng Oil Pressure:1" (and so on for higher number engines) between FSX and P3D, so the engine model might be manipulating a variable that no longer exists. It doesn't seem to affect engine operation. If you are seeing the same behavior from the gauges, I'll just ignore them.

August

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Thanks for the response! Yes, I thought it might be that the variable or something has changed over the years. Seeing "Copyright 2002" in the panel.cfg file was kind of a tip-off that it might not be up-to-date! I looked at the gauge xml files, and it looks like the variable changed from "Eng1 Oil Pressure" to "Eng Oil Pressure:1" (and so on for higher number engines) between FSX and P3D, so the engine model might be manipulating a variable that no longer exists. It doesn't seem to affect engine operation. If you are seeing the same behavior from the gauges, I'll just ignore them.

August
    It does this on mine as well. And thus far I've flown around for over 20 minutes and there didn't seem to be any negative effects or power loss, so it must be that parameter you mentioned that's incorrect in the .xml

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Thanks for confirming, and nice work on this conversion. With all that FS2002 DNA, it's amazing that the plane flies and looks so good in current-gen P3D with VR. Speaks to a really solid original mod as well as the several dedicated updates over the years.

August

Members who have read this thread: 2