Missing landmarks in FS2004

Thread: Missing landmarks in FS2004

Icon9 Missing landmarks in FS2004

Although I think FS2004 is a great flight simulator, I'm puzzled at some of the famous missing landmarks that were available in previous versions. Here are 2 examples: 1) The Tanegashima Space Center, south of Kyushu, Japan. In FS98, FS2000 and FS2002, it clearly 'looks' like a rocket-launch facility, while in FS2004 the giant rocket shed and towers have been completely removed! What inspired the authors to do this?
    Tanegashima Space Center in FS2000:

Tanegashima Space Center in FS2002:

Tanegashima Space Center in FS2004:

Tanegashima Space Center in real life:

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NASDA-FS2000.jpg   NASDA-FS2002.jpg   NASDA-FS2004.jpg   NASDA-real.jpg   FortGeorge-FS2000.jpg   FortGeorge-FS2002.jpg  

FortGeorge-FS2004.jpg   FortGeorge-Today.jpg  
    Visit FSXMissionsHangar.com
    For Missions in FSX and P3D

Here is another example: Fort George on the island of Grenada — a prominent historic building in St. George's, the capital of Granada. FS2000 has the fort plus a luxury cruiseliner in the harbor, FS2002 has removed the fort leaving only the cruise liner, while FS2004 removes both (leaving a rusty old tanker in the harbor)!

Fort George (left) and the cruise liner in FS2000:

Cruise liner only in FS2002:

Nothing in FS2004:

Fort George in real life:

Paul

Very curious! I'm not familiar with FS versions before FS9. I would expect each version to have more things in it, and surely not less.

I remember that when FS9 was first released they had omitted many things, like bridges, and had to release a patch to add them back in. Maybe they forgot more than they put into that patch?

Perhaps you've given some scenery designers some inspiration.

Hi Paul,

You might add either static object cruise ships or stearable ones as static AI, like this here:

]

Such ships would certainly be more suitable than those of FS2000/2002. The texture issue starboard is a problem done by the author. But it's more for an example.

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by leuen View Post
    Hi Paul,

You might add either static object cruise ships or stearable ones as static AI, like this here:

]

Such ships would certainly be more suitable than those of FS2000/2002. The texture issue starboard is a problem done by the author. But it's more for an example.

Bernard
    Thanks Bernard,
    I was just a bit miffed that Fort George was inexplicably left out - being a major tourist attraction in the area.

Exclamation Someone has stolen the Easter Island statues!

Outrageous! Someone in FS2004 has stolen the world-famous Easter Island head statues! Looks at the images for proof: they are obviously there in FS2000 and FS2002, but all of them except for one, are missing in FS2004. They are still missing in FSX!

FS2000 (default with maximum scenery detail) — the heads are clearly visible:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heads-FS2000.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	90889

FS2002 (default with maximum scenery detail) — the heads are still there, but the jungle has started to cover them:

Name:	Heads-FS2002.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	90890

FS2004 (default, but with moderate scenery detail so as not to hide any statues) — the lone head is visible - the others have been stolen!:

Name:	Heads-FS2004.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	90891

FSX (ORBX scenery): proof that Pacific islands are threatened by Global Warming! — One lonely head remains...

Name:	Heads-FSX.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	90892

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Perhaps you've given some scenery designers some inspiration.
    Thankfully some scenery designers did step up to the plate, filling the gaps Microsoft left. For example David "Opa" Marshall (and friends it seems) did a complete makeover of Easter Island (here on Avsim, although downloading seems to be a problem there at the moment) and Toni Agramont covered Grenada in the Caribbe South package; I use a lot of Agramont package to properly dress my installs, especially in the Med.

I'm sure you're all familiar with (what used to be) the Walhalla site but, for anybody who isn't, you can find it here. Been an absolute saviour a few times.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post
    Thankfully some scenery designers did step up to the plate, filling the gaps Microsoft left. For example David "Opa" Marshall (and friends it seems) did a complete makeover of Easter Island (here on Avsim, although downloading seems to be a problem there at the moment) and Toni Agramont covered Grenada in the Caribbe South package; I use a lot of Agramont package to properly dress my installs, especially in the Med.
    Thanks for the links. They surely are comprehensive packages!

Members who have read this thread: 0