Redwing 1935 USA Airports

Thread: Redwing 1935 USA Airports

Redwing 1935 USA Airports

Redwing released a flood of USA 1935 airports today to Marketplace, ranging in price for $4.99 to $9.99. Plus a USA 1935 package for $14.99 that adds period AI, under-construction Mt. Rushmore and Hoover Dam, etc. I hadn't been interested in their previous 1935 packages because I have no desire to simulate flying in Nazi Germany, but 1935 USA, hey, no fascism, just a depression!

I'm tempted, but I want to be able to easily enable/disable them if I'm doing modern flying. I went to their Discord to gripe and whine like you'd expect from a flight simmer online and there was a discussion that you can just pull the files out of OneStore and put them in a folder to enable/disable them with MSFS Addons Linker.

So now I'm tempted again. I saw the first airport in today's releases and I was all like "Oh, it's only $5.99, impulse purchase! I'll grab it!" Then I kept seeing more. There's over $100 in 1935 airports, but once you have them all, you could so some pretty cool cross-country flying!

1935 Airports:
    KBE1
    KABE
    KARC
    KBO1
    KBW1
    KCLE
    KCO1
    KDC1
    KEWR
    KGSH
    KLGA
    KMDW
    KME1
    KPHL
    KPPO
    KTTN
    USA 1935 $14.99

Now we just need a NeoFly/FSEconomy type program to create cross-country missions between all these airports!

I am waiting until they show up on Simmarket. Just checked, and not seeing them yet....... NC

This is extraordinaire! To want-list.

I have a couple of Redwing's european 1935 airports. The attention to detail is quite excellent.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Not quite sure how I feel about these yet. Seems like quite a few Jennys around for 1935, some of the other static types also a bit dubious for the place/era. I would want to look closely at the layout of the airports and see if they were well documented, but these guys have done a good job with the European ones. I'm attracted to the Cleveland one, which seems to be set up for the National Air Races and would be a cool place to fly the Gee Bees, Wedell, Brown, Caudron etc. Looks like they could only find one 1930s car asset though, since every car in the lot is the same model and color.

August

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I am waiting until they show up on Simmarket. Just checked, and not seeing them yet....... NC
    only at marketplace,no other store........

I would love to see them do a WWII era Solomons package.

Quote Originally Posted by K5083 View Post
    Not quite sure how I feel about these yet. Seems like quite a few Jennys around for 1935, some of the other static types also a bit dubious for the place/era. I would want to look closely at the layout of the airports and see if they were well documented, but these guys have done a good job with the European ones. I'm attracted to the Cleveland one, which seems to be set up for the National Air Races and would be a cool place to fly the Gee Bees, Wedell, Brown, Caudron etc. Looks like they could only find one 1930s car asset though, since every car in the lot is the same model and color.

August
    Check out the websites as far as the layouts go. There are PDF manuals for each of the airports.

Also, I confirmed a discounted bundle is coming, if you decide you want the whole bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Snurdley View Post
    I would love to see them do a WWII era Solomons package.
    And Wake Island as well! NC

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Also, I confirmed a discounted bundle is coming, if you decide you want the whole bunch.
    Well, there's my FS purchase for the month sorted. Come on, Redwing!

SOH-CM-2024
    I wish they would be offered as a bundle rather than individually. I just cannot fall for the downloading of each and every one individually. Redwing and the Marketplace must do better. This is highway robbery.

Cazzie

I've been waiting for these 1935 USA airports to appear on the marketplace (it's been over 2 months since they were submitted according to Redwing!). I'd already bought the European ones.

I'm a fan of the Redwing effort (no connection to them at all, just a fan). It's extensive and growing. We'll almost certainly never get something like CalClassic in MSFS so this is the only retro project I'm aware of,

We have plenty of vintage airplanes, but no appropriate world to fly them in. Until these appeared. There's more than just the airports -- the environment is modified too, for instance both NYC and Washington DC look 1930s not 2020ish. With the USA 1935 environment the night landscape looks much more like old times. Similar environments for Europe are headed for release, it seems.

This morning I thoroughly enjoyed flying United's 1937 Trip 1 from New York (Newark) to Cleveland, using only radio ranges for navigation. (Search for "MSFS Flying the Beam".) Landed ahead of schedule! No magenta line!

I hope this gains some momentum and we start to see some more airports reverted to their 1930s vintage as freeware to supplement the Redwing airports.

I'm using Addon Linker to switch between 1935 and modern times.

Dutch

I treated myself to the CLE airport from the Redwing pack yesterday morning, and took the Fokker F.VII around the patch for a look.

Generally I'm happy with the addon. It does a good job of blotting out the modern CLE. It is set up with kind of a line of trees around the perimeter that shields your view of the modern surroundings from the ground, and the boundaries of the airport are a decent fit with the modern area. The freeway running adjacent to the airport is undisturbed, for example, and doesn't encroach on the field. Elsewhere on the boundary, there is a road and bridge that are oddly truncated by the airport, but it isn't too bad. The addon comes with three race pylons spread throughout suburban Cleveland in, I guess, their original National Air Race locations, which seem much bigger and more prominent than the originals could possibly have been, but make it easy for you go to booming around the race course. The buildings and other landmarks are of high quality. I get some late pop-in with the spectators in the race stands and cars in the lot, but maybe these would be fpm killers if seen from further away.

I did not opt for the general Redwing 1935 mod that changes features of the world generally. I have several questions about how that would work which are not answered by the documentation, which is very rough for all of the USA 1935 addons, and in the end I think I am not interested in interacting with the 1935 addons in that way.

This is the type of mod that I will want to turn off and on, which is hard when it's in the Official folder, so after buying from the marketplace, I moved the folder to Community where I can switch it with my addon manager. This seems to work fine, although I'm sure MSFS will notice that it is not in Official and keep trying to reinstall it, and won't notify me properly of updates. A minor inconvenience but worthwhile for the sake of a pretty nice addon.

August

Members who have read this thread: 3