New Nvidia driver

Thread: New Nvidia driver

New Nvidia driver

I just went through my emails and there is another notice from Nvidia that there is a new driver that will do wonderful things to your computer games.
    I always click it and have the latest driver installed, but do these new drivers do anything for MSFS? The only "Games" I have are MSFS and Assetto Corsa.
    Is there any reason to keep them updated even though I have never knowingly seen any benefit from doing so?

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm still on 528.49 Studio with no issues. In fact, I'm getting around 90 FPS in decent weather flying the 310R.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I've only had problems with two Nvidia drivers - and they usually have been replaced by Nvidia within a few days.
    When it happens I just roll back to the most recent previous official driver.
    I used to install 'studio' and 'beta' drivers from Nvidia but found that those (in days past) were more likely to leave chunks of themselves behind when updating afterward. So I stopped using them.
    I think if I only ran MSFS I would use the best driver version and not update unless a better one came out - much testing is required for this but it would be worth the effort.
    However MSFS is NOT the only entertainment software I use so having the latest updates makes more sense. I have found that, for me anyway, the difference in performance is nearly nil and almost never either 'much better' or worse to the point of
    having to roll back and wait for the next new one. As I said - I think that's only happened twice. I am currently running 531.79 but reviewing FPS and rendering performance to the degree that I can
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

I tend to keep the drivers up to date. There are often performance improvements that benefit all titles, bug fixes that improve stability, and security improvements that can help fix vulnerabilities that people who run old drivers are susceptible to.

FWIW, I installed the update and all has been rock-stable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    Plus, if you'd been a firm believer in "always keep drivers up to date," you'd never have had the pleasant surprise of seeing your performance double on your new video card a few months back when you finally updated the drivers.

I had this strange CTD/Overheat issue with the previous NVIDIA driver, it only occurred with the A310 and ATR models. I ended up rolling back to driver from March, the issue cleared up. I may try this new driver as they indicated the issue I encountered was known and they were resolving it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (8504).jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	90615

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Charter Member 2011
    Oh! I am glad I was not the only one.
    I had thought my brand new graphics card was a dud.
    The new driver fixed it, thankfully.

There was an issue caused by a recent NVIDIA driver that led to that error message.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...-error-message

The latest drivers are working fine now, and 531.29 should also work continue to work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyjo View Post
    I just went through my emails and there is another notice from Nvidia that there is a new driver that will do wonderful things to your computer games.
    I always click it and have the latest driver installed, but do these new drivers do anything for MSFS? The only "Games" I have are MSFS and Assetto Corsa.
    Is there any reason to keep them updated even though I have never knowingly seen any benefit from doing so?
    I went ahead and installed the new driver, when I started up MSFS, it was showing that the FPS was in the upper 60's to lower 70's instead of the usual upper 40's. I thought it was great that the new driver was able to increase the FPS that much.
    It wasn't until I took off in my usual small bush plane that I noticed the scenery looked awful.
    I had a look at the graphic settings and almost everything was set to LOW instead of the HIGH and ULTRA settings I had.
    It seems that when the new driver was installed, the G FORCE Experience setting for MSFS was "Optimized" to what Nvidia thinks would work best for me. Thankfully I had made a copy of all the settings and put them back where they were.
    Everytime there is a MSFS update, it changes the full screen setting to the windows setting.
    Now Nvidia does un update to the lastest driver and all my graphic settings are changed.

Never had anything like this happen when I was using FSX.

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Plus, if you'd been a firm believer in "always keep drivers up to date," you'd never have had the pleasant surprise of seeing your performance double on your new video card a few months back when you finally updated the drivers.
    In that case, it was actually "broke" and needed to be fixed - the drivers loaded in the box at the store didn't support DLSS.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

On a side note, when updating video card drivers, I heard it's best to completely erase the old one before installing the new one. I think GeForce experience doesn't do that so that you can easily 'roll back' if needed. Anyone have any input on best way to install new GPU drivers ? Maybe for Nvidia, GeForce experience is the best way, even though it doesn't clean out the old drivers first ?
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

There's an option in during the GeForce driver installation to delete all files and settings.

I only do that if I've been having problems, though. I find just installing drivers on top of the old ones works fine nowadays, as long as you're not encountering issues with your current drivers or settings.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    On a side note, when updating video card drivers, I heard it's best to completely erase the old one before installing the new one. I think GeForce experience doesn't do that so that you can easily 'roll back' if needed. Anyone have any input on best way to install new GPU drivers ? Maybe for Nvidia, GeForce experience is the best way, even though it doesn't clean out the old drivers first ?
    GeForce Experience does offer the possibility to do a clean install if you select "custom" at the beginning of the installation process.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Thanks, everyone for the valuable info. I think it's a good option to have the choice of either a 'clean' install or install 'on top' of an existing driver - which would easily permit a rollback, if needed.

I should have my new system at home by end of this month. A bit ahead of schedule. Looking forward to the long, but extremely rewarding MSFS learning curve, lol !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

The day after you posted this message I started downloading MSFS.

The day before you posted this message I upgraded my Nvidia drivers.

After I started running the simulator I had no issue. I have flown from Key West Florida to Ohio near Lake Erie in many separate legs. All either in the Savage Cub or the Cessna 152. All day time flying in whatever weather the world through at me. Some of it really crappy.

I haven't had any issues until I got to Ohio and I decided to upgrade to the C172. Now I get the CTD with this aircraft after about 45 minutes. With the cub and 152 no issues with flights as long as 3 hours.

I downloaded Speccy to check the CPU and GPU temps while flying. Going to hit one this morning and see if the board is overheating. It is not overclocked so that isn't the issue.

The only thing I can figure is the C172 is a more complex aircraft (auto pilot etc) and something about those systems is the issue.

Heading out on a flight from KCGF to KMTC in a minute.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

And that flight was just fine but I forgot to post after the last CTD yesterday I checked and there was another update for the drivers released on 5/30. I installed those drivers but had not been able to test them yet. .

GPU ran between 79C and 82C. Landed at KMTC safely. I will do a few more longer legs in the in the C172 just for the fun of it.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Members who have read this thread: 0