AI Helicopter Addon

Thread: AI Helicopter Addon

AI Helicopter Addon

For those of you who like to have AI helicopters flying around, this looks very interesting. I will be checking it out for my Desert Storm scenery package. The helicopters take off straight up off heli pads instead of taking off like airplanes. More to come after I check it out. See the link below.

Heli Traffic 2009 for FSX

Regards, Tom

datter
    Just saw that on the front page of avsim. Sounds interesting. Do none of the other traffic packages (Traffic X etc) provide ai heliopter stuff?

harleyman
    I want it...I have never seen a rotor in FSX....

Quote Originally Posted by datter View Post
    Do none of the other traffic packages (Traffic X etc) provide ai heliopter stuff?
    So far only Traffic X (and its predecessor for FS2004) if I'm correct. These choppers behave like normal aircraft however.
    I might give that new Flight1 helicopter tool a go.
    Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

datter, no AI helicopter traffic in FSX. I was able to produce some AI helicopter traffic by making FSX think helicopters were airplanes but they alway take off from the runway and taxi like airplanes. This program is suppose to have them take off straight up and land straight down on heli pads.

Purchase made and now to put things into action. I will report later after trials.

Tom

datter
    Please do and also how (if) it works with any other traffic package you may have installed. I'm still kicking around the Traffic X idea and would be curious if there would be any sort of conflict or anything.

Two areas to be aware of with HT2009. First, the Bell and Robinson default models give much better FPS than the EH101, by far. Addon helos, of which I tried two, can also be a FPS hog if you're not careful. There is a FPS test within HT2009 where you can see the impact a particular model may or may not have.

Second, HT2009 will generate traffic from helipads placed on AFD files. Or you can use the utility to create your own starting position. The drawback of using AFD helipads is that an "H" will always be drawn, whether you want it or not. Using HT2009's starting position can be a better choice, if visuals are a concern.

Schedules and parking spots can be saved to individual files, which can be shared with others.

Since HT2009 is an external operation to FSX it doesn't interact with FSX's ATC. though you will see the AI labels if you have them turned on.

Now to generate some traffic in Hawaii for Harleyman to try and dodge...

harleyman
    Hey MeshMan...Bring it on...You ever figure out that *following * ocean deal?

I had TrafficX for a week and took it off..I never ay a bird in the air..And I looked too....

If you want default traffic to stay Datter you will need MyTrafficX for that,and you just need to remove a .bak off the rewritten file after install...All athers as far as I'm aware of kill default traffic and no getting it back..

in fact when I uninstalled TrafficX, It was a struggle to get my default traffic back too then...It did nor restore it automatically for some reason...

datter
    I'm ok if default goes away entirely as it's a resource hog apparently, just so long as there are airliners, GA and the odd military flight happening. Anyway, not to hiijack the thread here.

So is it worth the moola guys, I'm thinking of getting it.

First Report, so far the program works exactly as the manual says. I have a Piglet's Loach OH-6A flying between Al Kharj and Prince Sultans. The only thing I notice is these AI helos have no sound. Not a big problem, but sound would be nice. Certainly is worth the $25 US. More to come.

Tom

I've had helicopter traffic since it first came out as HeliTrafficX.
    The upgrade to HeliTraaffic 2009 is free and it has a few more options then its predecessor.
    I run it with MyTraffic X and a boatload of MRAI military aircraft. I have the military stuff in MyTraffic X turned off until the planes are updated.
    Currently I run 22 different helo models, not including all their variants, and only use the scheduling option.
    Oh, it also handles the Harriers OK too.
    Needless to say I tend to stay away from the heavy traffic areas (KJFK, KEWR, KLGA) as the frame rates are killers on my system.

Mike
    IBM i7 920 2.66 Ghz
    9 Gb Memory
    Nvidia GTS 250 1Gb PCIe Video
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    W7 Premium 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    First Report, so far the program works exactly as the manual says. I have a Piglet's Loach OH-6A flying between Al Kharj and Prince Sultans. The only thing I notice is these AI helos have no sound. Not a big problem, but sound would be nice. Certainly is worth the $25 US. More to come.

Tom
    Tom,
    Have you tried to add a soundai folder below the main helo folder and toss in the sounds you want to use?
    IBM i7 920 2.66 Ghz
    9 Gb Memory
    W7 Premium 64bit

Thanks, looks like a sure thing to get then.

mgbmike, that did it, now have sound using the soundai folder. Much appreciated. This is really cool.

I now have a Blackhawk, Chinook and the OH-6A flying between Al Kharj and Prince Sultans. They are much more realistic that my old AI that taxied down the runway.

If you ever wanted to add Helicopter AI to your scenery this is the package.

Tom

Here are a couple of shots of this program in action. Really great addon.

Tom

harleyman
    Oh yea...Gonna love this one....

Nice shots too...Where did the little man come from out front????

How were your frames affected?

Just imagine what NAS Whiting Field, south could look like.

VCN-1

Once I get this it's gonna get real interesting if the AI can work from a moving aircraft carrier.

Great pics, thanks.

The little man is part of my Desert Storm package scenery. The FPS do not seem to be effected much at all. While flying the Alphasim Blackhawk AH-60 my frames are between 32 and 35 with the limit set at 35.

So far no hits at all. Really fun stuff.

Tom

MCDesigns
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyman View Post
    Nice shots too...Where did the little man come from out front????
    Looks like one of my soldiers from one of my military objects packages, I agree, great shots. I can't even imagine having more than one AS blackhawk in a scene, I can't even fly it, just to hard on the frames.

This is a great little utility, had it before Flight1 started carrying it and the new version is better than the old.

Here it is at work in Vietnam, took all of 10 minutes to set up the flights.

Quote Originally Posted by Seaking055 View Post
    Once I get this it's gonna get real interesting if the AI can work from a moving aircraft carrier.
    Dunno about a moving carrier but it does work on oil platforms (hardened deck).
    Try the one off of Corpus Cristi if interested using your own created landing spot. I imagine it would work on a similar static carrier.
    IBM i7 920 2.66 Ghz
    9 Gb Memory
    W7 Premium 64bit

Members who have read this thread: 3