UncleTgt Solomons early 43 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UncleTgt Solomons early 43

Library Staff
    I found the problem with my setup - I had Lunga in with the 1942 scenery layer. Rather than start all over again when I installed the scenery for the various time periods, I expanded and contracted on what I already had. I didn't realise Lunga was next door to Henderson. Sorry John.

My son started putting in the infrastructures,planes, and as he gets in the air they some seem to be above him at Kukum.

When we did the 87 days install it was into a clean install of CFS2.The Solomons was installed over this with the 87 days with the 87 days removed.Also there were no MR scenery installed.Would this have any effect on things?In free flight everything works fine.

Sorry to be such a bother,just reporting our findings.Most people may not be building missions with infrastructures and may not be noticing these things.Only one else that has mentioned anything has been Kevin.

Hiede

Hiede,
    Not quite correct regarding feedback. SOH member Skylane did a fair bit of testing for me as I developed the scenery - it was his desire to create missions depicting the Japanese side of "87 Days" that prompted me to expand the project as far north as Bougainville

Anyway, back to the current issue. Every object in the sim gets a GUID number, even ship models. So, if my guess at the Belltent object is correct, the bgl with the new GUID above should allow your son to place transports in Mission Builder without running into the issue.
    If this works, I'll update my Objects pack accordingly.
    We could help in trying to test this if we knew which ship model was being used...

UT

The ships we've tried are the Transport_USA by Collin and the PSK_AP_1 & 2. The file you posted actually didn't do anything.Also the ships were taken out.

The issue in my last post was about infrastructure planes,vehicles and AA put around the air field.Some appear above field after takeoff at about midway down the field maybe a little further down the field.It only last for a second or 2.After getting by that point they can be seen on the ground when fly over them.

Hiede

Thanks Hiede

I will check out the mdls using ModelconverterX, if I view them it will tell me the object GUIDs.

To answer your earlier question, my Solomons pack reproduced the scenery used for 87 Days completely, so installing my pack over a clean CFS2 install shouldn't give you any "87 Days" related issues.

IIRC PSK transport 1 was included in "87 Days", so I should have seen the Derrick issue whilst building Kukum. So I don't think it's transport 1.

Interesting comment about the momentary lifting of objects around the runway midpoint. That's the point I fail to see any background when viewing in Mission Builder. This suggests it's something to do with the mesh at that point, & I don't know how to fix that.

My workaround for placing objects was to make a copy of the Kukum_A16N & put it into cfs2/scenedb/runways/scenery. This was because I have all my scenery folders in a single central directory outside of the sim, & this includes Rhumbas LOD7 & LOD8 mesh.

The downside seems to be a poorer blending of the A16N flattens with the surrounding terrain when flying normally in the Sim, so I only ever did it to help with object placement.

I will take a closer look at the Kukum area when I can in the next couple of days...

Library Staff
    John, could the problem be the one we've both experienced where Mission Builder reverts to basic terrain when it encounters complex scenery?

Hiede, ask your son to go into settings after he has started Mission Builder and check the terrain complexity sliders are on maximum. They have a habit of resetting to minimum.

Kevin

Kev,

Good suggestion.

Hiede,

Sorry I didn't find anything when I tested my install. I created a series of takeoff missions, without ships and with (see zip).

I ran each of them several times but didn't experience any issues or visual glitches.

I did check the ship models, there doesn't seem to be any GUID conflict with anything in the gsl layout at Kukum.

It's obvious from your screenshot earlier that those Derrick were from Collin's USA transport, but, as you can see from the pics, I didn't have any issues when adding Collin's model into the mission, either as static infrastructure or as a moving vessel.

Maybe the missions will help pin some difference down?

Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm out of ideas as I don't seem to be able to replicate what you're seeing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kukum_TO_checker_all_as_ships.jpg   kukum_TO_checker1+AP1b.jpg   kukum_TO_checker1+AP1+3+USATr.jpg   kukum_TO_checker1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    John, could the problem be the one we've both experienced where Mission Builder reverts to basic terrain when it encounters complex scenery?

Hiede, ask your son to go into settings after he has started Mission Builder and check the terrain complexity sliders are on maximum. They have a habit of resetting to minimum.

Kevin
    Kevin

That was the answer.Only the new installs were had didn't have them set to maximum.All other installs were done by Al (Talon ) so are at least 10 years old,his Pearl Harbor install is from 2003 or 2004.

Thanks for all your help you and UT.

Hiede

Library Staff
    You're welcome Hiede - I'm glad it worked.

By the way, how did you go with the PDF creator?

Cheers,
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    You're welcome Hiede - I'm glad it worked.

By the way, how did you go with the PDF creator?

Cheers,
    Kevin
    Kevin

I haven't had a chance to work on that yet.My parents will be coming out here for awhile in June,so I have to get everything ready for that plus my daughter will be coming home from Florida also.It's going to be a busy summer.

Hiede

UT

Are the excludes supposed to get rid of the stock scenery?I have it installed but there are both the stock airfields and yours still as scenery.Examples are-Munda,Kahali,Buka and Vila.

I looked at the readme and pretty sure it was all installed right.Maybe we missed something.

Thanks for any help.

Hiede

Sounds like the 87 Days Airbase excludes layer isn't active, or is too low down the scenery library.

This layer contains all the airbase excludes, for all the different periods.

If the Runways layer is higher than this exclude layer, the stock runways will still show up.

It was in the install and just above the runways with the Solomons excludes above that.I reversed them but no difference.

Hiede

Hiede,

Check the contents of the 87 Days Airbase Excludes. If you're using the original one that came with "87 Days", it will only contain excludes for Henderson area & Rekata.

The airbase excludes in my Solomons scenery includes a lot more files...

Here's screengrabs of my 87 Days Install Scenery Library.

With it I'm able to fly Skylane's IJN Guadacanal & IJN Floatplane mission packs, as well as Captain Kurt's 87 Days revamp.

I don't see any stock fields at Munda or Kahili.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 87Days_43erly_Kahili_area.jpg   87Days_43erly_Munda_area.jpg   87Days_scenery_library_120523_pg3.jpg   87Days_scenery_library_120523_pg2.jpg   87Days_scenery_library_120523_pg1.jpg  

I created another 87 Days install from CK's autoinstall, & just added & activated the 43erly airbases, & deactivated the 87 Days airbase layers. I did not update any other files.

I see stock runways at Munda & Kahili (incidentally, both located in the wrong place by MS...).

So far, this is the only way I've found you can display Guadacanal area fields correctly, but run into issues elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 87Days_43erly_Munda_area_with_wrong_excludes.jpg   87Days_43erly_Kahili_area_with_wrong_excludes.jpg  

That took care of it,thanks.I only helped to activate the scenery and that it was in the right places,My son forgot to add the extra exclusions to 87 days.

Hiede

Icon22 Reply...

Good morning,

Thank you. I will make sure to reference this when I install the 87 Days of Cactus campaign.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 0