Hat Switch Views - How? -- Assistance Request

Thread: Hat Switch Views - How? -- Assistance Request

Hat Switch Views - How? -- Assistance Request

G'day, all.

Is someone able to help me get my 'coolie hat' set so I can pan around in cockpit and exterior views please? I've been unable to locate how one can do this and having top use mouse for such views, while flying, is annoying -- to say the least!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

KevinB
    Last edited by Tom Clayton; April 26th, 2023 at 14:09.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    G'day, all.

Is someone able to help me get my 'coolie hat' set so I can pan around in cockpit and exterior views please? I've been unable to locate how one can do this and having top use mouse for such views, while flying, is annoying -- to say the least!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

KevinB
    You can set joystick buttons using MSFS's Contols Menu. This link may help you.

How do I pan views using POV switch in MSFS 2020? - Community Support / Tech Support - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Depends on which stick/throttle you have how the hat switch is named, for my Thrustmaster T.1600M it is the POV switch. You can map it like:

The cockpit cameras:
    POV down: cockpit look down
    POV up: cockpit look up
    POV left: cockpit look left
    POV right: cockpit look right

And the external cameras:
    POV down: external view look down
    POV up: external view look up
    POV left: external view look left
    POV right: external view look right

Thank you, both.

I'll go have a look.

KB

Also, just an FYI, and no shade because I used the term many times writing magazine reviews of joysticks in the 90's, but it turns out "coolie" refers to the shape being similar to hats worn by Chinese and Indian slave laborers. And calling those folks "coolies" is both a racial and class slur. So the industry has moved to calling those "view hats" or "view controls."

As I said, I used to use the term myself until I was alerted to this. Now all the dictionary references point out it's disparaging/insulting. So I've shifted to 'view hat.' No diss on the original poster -- it was a common term in our hobby for a couple of decades till its origins became better-known.

(And before anyone complains about me pointing it out, it's not "PC" to point out that terms might be offensive to some of the viewers of this site. It's just polite and decent and being nice to your fellow hobbyists.)

Because the question has been answered, and because of the huge potential for this to go south real quick, I'm going to go ahead and close this one.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members who have read this thread: 1