I need help . . . (technical)

Thread: I need help . . . (technical)

I need help . . . (technical)

Since this site houses the experts, riddle me this:

I have a pretty high-end system --

ROG Maximus 2790 Hero
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2
    13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KS 3.20 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 (latest drivers)
    32.0 GB Trident Z5 6000 MHz RAM
    WD Black SN770 2TB NVME

. . . and for a few weeks, MSFS ran as smooth as silk at its installed settings. I haven't adjusted anything except adding on a few planes. No addon caused any issue. Now, suddenly, I have stutters that seem to be getting progressively worse each time I launch the game. Even in the menu, the animations stutter. My system temperatures are all fine, and no diagnostic has pointed to a hardware problem. This didn't coincide with a windows update or a drivers update. It didn't coincide with any installed addon or settings adjustment. I haven't changed my controllers or their drivers, either. It's a mystery I can't seem to solve, and it's killing the sim. I have searched the net and it hasn't been helpful, so I'm turning to you. Does anyone know what could be causing this and how I might go about fixing it? I would appreciate any help at all.
    --Brian

Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid.

Hi Brian,

Has anything been changed before the stutters began? Some update of windows or drivers or anything? And how's your internet speed? is anything visible in the event viewer?

Sorry to have to come back with questions, but I'm afraid they're necessary to be able to say something even remotely intelligible.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Something about the latest Nvidia drivers cause some systems to run into problems. You might try rolling back your drivers and see if that helps.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Hi Brian,

Has anything been changed before the stutters began? Some update of windows or drivers or anything? And how's your internet speed? is anything visible in the event viewer?

Sorry to have to come back with questions, but I'm afraid they're necessary to be able to say something even remotely intelligible.

Cheers,

Priller
    Thanks for the reply. I don't think anything changed before the stutters (at least not immediately before). They started prior to the last sim update (no help) and long after my latest driver or windows update. My internet speeds run between 600 and 800 mb/s (depending on the time of day) and are very stable.

The event viewer shows critical errors in
    Event ID 1010 Microsoft-Windows-ModernDeployment-Diagnostics-Provider/ManagementService (7 in the last hour, 87 in the last day, and 310 in the last week)
    Event ID 2 and 3 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin (3 in the last day)

It shows a few warnings from
    Event ID 10016 DistributedCOM System (2 in the last hour, 7 in the last day, and 40 over the week)
    --Brian

Try to do a short flight in MSFS, and as soon as you experience stutters, close the sim, go to eventviewer and tell us what you find there.

Paiken is right about the latest Nvidia drivers, but they usually occur with earlier Nvidia cards. You have the top of the top card, so I'd be surprised if it was that. You can try rolling back the drivers and see what gives.

Or if the drivers of your card aren't up to date, install the one before last or latest drivers and see what gives.

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

if you have multiple monitors you could run task manager in one monitor while you fly. You should be able to watch the task manager and see if anything is consuming unreasonable resources.

I would look at your system before you start the program and as you start it and fly.

Note you could also do this with 1 monitor in windowed mode.
    ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Task Manager can also be set to "Always on top" and moved partially off screen.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    " And how's your internet speed?"

Priller hit the nail on the head for people with top end systems who still get stutters and stops, Internet bandwidth. You need as much as you can get, I don't care how good your system is, MSFS depends on the Internet. Also, if you have more than one person in your house drawing off your connection, that's going to slow you down. Learn to adjust your Graphic setting for maximum performance too. All Ultra is not needed. I find Ultra trees to be far, far too many. Unless you're making videos, turn depth-of-field and motion blur Off.Set you Anisotropic at 16X using your Nvidia Control Panel and set it to off in the simulator's Graphics Settings And forget about getting this X-Box super fps rates, you do not need them in a flight simulator, 40-45 fps will get you there.

Cazzie

Edit: Also after every flight session go to your Graphic Settings and on the left side click Data and scroll to where it says Delete Rolling Cache, then click apply and saved before quitting to desktop.

Brian,

Any news or progress?

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Lightbulb

Try nVidia driver 528.49 that is a good one , solved my problems after a sudden Windows Update , works for Laptops too ...

Thanks all! I haven't solved the issue yet, but I'm working on it (got caught up in real life for a few days). I'll post any solution. This site is the best. I wish I could spend more time here.
    --Brian

Members who have read this thread: 0