getting fs 2004 back up and running

Thread: getting fs 2004 back up and running

getting fs 2004 back up and running

I have it installed for some time and cannot get it to boot. Running Windows 10 . How do I set compatability mode?
    What else shoukd I look for?

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    I have it installed for some time and cannot get it to boot. Running Windows 10 . How do I set compatability mode?
    What else shoukd I look for?
    I have it running on Windows 10 Professional without using any compatibility settings. You do need the no-CD patched FS9.exe, have you tried that? In normal circumstances using that sort of patch is a big No No, but it seems to be the only solution.
    Andy

SafeDisc is dead on Win10. No-CD patched FS9.exe is required.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

SOH-CM-2023
    Not to forget the update also fs91upd.exe

Interesting to learn that the no CD patch is no longer required. I have it because it was there on my old rig that I just ported into the new one.

I had to run the CDs to install FS9 to set up the required registry entries and folders outside of the main FS folder(s) but then I jutreplaced the new install with my four old ones.

Anyhow, the point is that I had no trouble getting FS9 installed into Win10pro. It went right in and booted right up. The only thing I had to do make it perfect was to match the monitor's native resolution with the FS9 display setting, which seems odd since I'm using the same monitor and the same FS9.cfg files, where the FS9 settings live, as before.

I wonder if matters in some way that my FS9 installations live in a partition all their own, which Windows sees as a separate drive. Maybe if I put FS9 on my system drive it might not go so smoothly???

I installed the fs9 update and found my fs 9 disk 4 , but still will not boot
    ! ?

There is a good How-to thread in the Tweaks section here, helped me get things up and running, Motormouse's post at the bottom of the page was especially useful.
    Andy

Never mind. I D/L the NO Cd and it works now. Thanks for the help.
    Now I have to start all over its been so long. I need to D/L lots of scenery A/C etc.

Let's start with your OS.
    If you're running the 64 bit version of Win10, you should consider installing FS9 directly to your main drive (ie, C:/ FS9).
    FS9 seems to be happier if you don't install it to the Program Files (X86) directory.

Next up, you defiantly need to install the 9.1 update patch and the "no CD" patch.

I run my install in compatibility mode. Some folks don't, but it seems to work better for me.
    Once you have all of the files installed, find the main .exe icon inside the main FS folder and right-click on it.
    Select the Compatibility Mode option and then try "Win XP Service Pack 2" and make sure you select Apply.
    "Win XP" mode should work. If you still can't boot FS9, try "Win 8" ort even "Win Vista" modes.
    You may need to also enable "Run As Admin". This isn't the end of the world. I use this option and all I get is an early "Are you sure?" pop-up when I start FS.
    Just hit "Yes" and before long you'll get used to it like it isn't even there.

Once you can boot FS, you'll want to tweak some graphics if FS looks like its running choppy.
    Something I accept as a universal truth, FS runs better when the resolution matches your main desktop settings.
    On my install, it seems much happier running the same resolution and running in 32 bit mode instead of in 16 bit mode.

So, once you can launch FS and you have the graphics mostly dialed in, you can still have some crashes. DON'T PANIC.
    Every time FS crashes, Win 10 will make a note of that and send a report back to MS.
    Give it some time. Windows will get some updates from MS after a couple of days to maybe a week.

Last of all, don't give up.
    Most of us on this forum can help you out.
    All we really need to know is which version of Win10 you're running (32 or 64 bit) and what kind of graphics card you use.
    With CPU's that are at least ten years old, you don't really need a GPU to run FS9.

Members who have read this thread: 0