The Now Ongoing Car ID Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Now Ongoing Car ID Thread

The Now Ongoing Car ID Thread

Hey All,

Thought I'd add something to the Racers Paddock - borrowing an idea from the ongoing mystery plane thread. Name these 5 cars cars and then maybe somebody could put up a couple more and we'll keep it going. Maybe the thread dies - maybe not.

What are they?

-Ed-

PS I went for - I think - moderate difficulty.
    My heroes have always been cowboys and they all carried guns-
    and they all rode horses-that is all but one.
    When he went to the rescue he flew a Cessna plane.
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Mid 50s Buick something, a very tatty Corvair wagon, 1st series Corvette 'Styling Exercise' coupe, a FIAT 500(?) with 'eyebrows' (aka 'kidney cutters!') and some sort of tractor which is an area I have no interest or expertise in .................... :wave:
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

because I don't have small pictures
    Hey, Easy Ed,

I got 'em all!!!!........except I cheated and looked at the file names. :faint:

Quick, change the file names, I won't give them away.

The Fiat was the only one I didn't have the correct make and model. I didn't have all the years correct.

Kevin

First one is a 55 Buick. A "four-holer" should make it a Super, Roadmaster, or maybe the Century or Riv option.

Second is a corvair wagon. With a butt-ugly grille and some NASTY fake-Hurst hubcaps if I dare add.

Third is yet another Corvair. A 2+2 coupe show car variation of the first-gen Corvette built for either the 54 or 55 Motorama.

Fourth is easy. The first US tractor with a factory enclosed cab, heater, radio, and cigar lighter. Minneapolis-Moline U-DLX (Model U, Deluxe cab) from 1938. Also had a foot clutch instead of hand-operated which was rather unique for MM at the time. Only made around 150 of em too. Was a very high-priced machine when it was new...I suspect most farmers weren't about to shell out for all those creature comforts for a tractor. You can't say that about most farmers these days...

Fifth...I don't have a clue, but going with the GM theme of the first three I'd say another Buick with an aftermarket headlight "brow".

(Okay, I peeked too after I had all this typed up. There is no way I could ever guess that 5th one!)

Got one of my own for you guys too. Bonus points if you can name one of the unique features of this one compared to it's kin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiens View Post
    Hey, Easy Ed,

I got 'em all!!!!........except I cheated and looked at the file names. Kevin

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    I'll sticky this for now; maybe we can play by the same 'rules' as we do in the historic wings society: The one that gets the right answer gets to post the next. One one photo each time.

Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    I'll sticky this for now; maybe we can play by the same 'rules' as we do in the historic wings society: The one that gets the right answer gets to post the next. One one photo each time.
    As we do at NoGrip .......

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Hey All,

OOPS! on the filenames!

One pic at a time is fine I just put up several to get the ball rolling....

-Ed-
    His ranch was called the "Flying Crown" and "Sky King" was his name. -Jim Dilly-

The rich man writes the book of laws that the poor man must defend, but the highest laws are written on the hearts of honest men. - Ricky Skaggs-

Anybody got a clue on Mike's photo..?

My first impression was that is was a Russian car, but it has Goodyear tires and there's a photo of a Jeep in front.. Couldn't find anything in either direction though!
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

I had thought of a LADA 4WD but IRCC they fell over quite some time ago .....

Looks like a Yugo to me :d

It's not a Jeep...but it is an American company.

Hint: It's a prototype of a very popular model from that company...never made it to production. It would have, but they went belly-up a couple years later.

Hey All,

Everytime I look at Mopar's picture my gut says Bronco crossed with a jeep with a ford pickup hood. I've no idea... Haave to do some more looking on this one.

-Ed-

Quote Originally Posted by Moparmike View Post
    Got one of my own for you guys too. Bonus points if you can name one of the unique features of this one compared to it's kin.
    1979 International Harvester Scout Prototype

Body is a composite long strand fiberglass/epoxy resin

Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, which occupies the former administration building of the Auburn Automobile Company in downtown Auburn, Indiana. Tucked away in a wing on the second floor - dedicated to Indiana vehicle production - is this handsomely designed 1979 International Scout prototype.

1979 IH Scout prototype :woot:

According to the plaque, this is actually the second of two constructed by the International Harvester’s Engineering Department during a development program that had begun back in 1977. Built on a standard Scout 100-inch wheelbase chassis, the V-8 under the hood is capable of producing 162hp and is backed by an automatic trans. The body is actually a composite: long-strand fiberglass and epoxy resin.

Apparently both prototypes met most (if not all) government safety mandates of the day; they also failed to succumb to the company’s durability requirements. It was also reportedly well received among potential customers and press alike. As some might recall, IH halted Scout production in October of 1980. There was no mention at the museum of the whereabouts of the first prototype.

SOMEONE ELSE TAKE MY TURN :caked:

Yup, P and OleBoy ID'd the 'binder Prototype. :
    After I posted it I figured that I gave too easy of a hint by saying the company went bankrupt not too long after this concept truck was schemed up.

BTW, the other prototype was diesel-powered. It used the same little Nissan turbo diesel that was available in the production Scout at the end of it's run. Nobody on the IH boards that I hang out know what happened to the other one either. I suspect that the fiberglass just rattled apart...kinda like how the production IHs just rusted away. :d

Quote Originally Posted by OleBoy View Post
    SOMEONE ELSE TAKE MY TURN :caked:
    If you insist ...........
    This should be way easier!

After I posted it I figured that I gave too easy of a hint by saying the company went bankrupt
    Yup...
    That's what helped me arrive at the answer

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Yeah, waaay easier....

The grill reminds me of the typical Aston Martin design, the rest screams 'Italian'..
    The car to the right is the Giugiaro Maserati Boomerang btw..

Quote Originally Posted by Ferry_vO View Post
    Yeah, waaay easier....

The grill reminds me of the typical Aston Martin design, the rest screams 'Italian'..
    The car to the right is the Giugiaro Maserati Boomerang btw..
    I just love 'Italian' cars ....... (and women):kiss:
    No Aston Martin connection at all, just pure Italian 1950s elegance.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I suck at these so my guess is either Lancia or Maserati...

Hey All,

I hardly know where to start on this one as all those 50s/60s curvy sports cars are all just so ugly to me that I've never really paid attention to them - angular is good! I think some of the early 50s Ferrari roadsters looked somewhat like this and I've no idea what Bugatti made then. Not Lamborghini I think. I'm liking Panther's guesses as well. Any more clues?

-Ed-

An edit - some of the early 50s 8 cylinder Fiats had a similar body style as well. So it's Italian and probably the manufacturer name ends in i.

Ugly???:faint:??
    Jeez Ed, I can only try and imagine an 'Angular' Sophia Loren ......and it's a bizzare thought!
    Name doesn't end with an 'i' and it isn't one of the 'usual suspects'.

Hey All,

Hmmm... Manufacturer does not end in i and is not a usual supect - hmmm...

Any idea Panther or anyone else? I've seen this car before but it was a long time ago (over 30 yrs) - I just don't recall the maker...

As for beauty - it is in the eye of the beholder. I do like tall somewhat - an I mean somewhat - angular women and angular/blocky cars but you are right an angular Sophia would be bizarre. Most beautiful car - well easily the 69 super bee or some of the Shelby mustangs but if you want a two seat sports car well I've always liked the early 70s Panteras. Crap shoulda saved that for this thread...

-Ed-

An edit - not a usual suspect rules out fiat and alfa romeo and Lancia - what's left? It's not simca abarth who did make some really cool cars in the early 50s. This car is bugging me because I know I saw it in a book I checked out from the Spokane Public Library in the early 70s.