Freeware T-37 Tweet - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Freeware T-37 Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    I have used the ASOBO military pilot to get the grey HGU-55 helmets that were used latterly by AETC - it will be interesting to hear from friends on here what helmets were worn earlier in the life of the Tweet. White certainly, maybe silver even?
    Color is not so much the point, any color would do depending on the pilot's wish. 2 nice examples here :

These are some of the first USAF jet era helmets from the 1950's onwards. Navy/Marines pilots used slightly different helmets compared to USAF. Tweet drivers in the 1950's would wear this type of USAF P-1A to P-4A flight helmets:

During the 1960's the P series would be replaced by the USAF HGU-2A/P flight helmets. F.i. the visor is now covered when it's in the up position :

In the 1970s the HGU-2A/P would then be replaced by USAF HGU-26/P which looked very much like its predecessor but this time the pilot had two visors instead of just one. He could change from clear plexiglass to dark sun protection or use both.

From the 1980's on the still used today Gentex HGU-55 appeared on the jetfighter scene. The USAF's last Tweet (don't know about Twitter cause i don't use it) was retired in 2009 but this is a photo from 2018 (Colombian AF) so apparently Tweeties are still flying (don't know about that).

So that wraps up my uuhh... lecture about flighthelmets being used in the T-37 thru the years. Fun for me because it's one of my many hobbyhorses

Btw, that CAF Tweet might be nice for a repaint ?...

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    White! We wore white helments. Here is a picture of yours truly in the Tweet. You can see the white helmet through the windshield.
    That's great, John ! This wonderful new T-37 model must be a great trip down memory lane for you !

May i ask what was the year your photo was taken ? Can you remember what's on top of your helmet ? (the 'cloth part')

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    That's great, John ! This wonderful new T-37 model must be a great trip down memory lane for you !

May i ask what was the year your photo was taken ? Can you remember what's on top of your helmet ? (the 'cloth part')

Thanks!
    According to the side of the picture, 1972. I have yet to fly the model. I have been too busy on other projects (a trip to photograph Pelicans for an upcoming book and kitchen improvments). Hopefully, this afternoon.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

someone mentioned bare metal, working on it:
    bm (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

bm (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

bm (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Color is not so much the point, any color would do depending on the pilot's wish. 2 nice examples here :

So that wraps up my uuhh... lecture about flighthelmets being used in the T-37 thru the years. Fun for me because it's one of my many hobbyhorses

Btw, that CAF Tweet might be nice for a repaint ?...

I knew we would have the answers here !! Very interesting thank you !!

Stupid question, how do you get the canopy to open?? Can't find the switch anywhere!

Central console below the instructor's throttle handle, after unlocking using the lever on the cockpit sidewall.

August

Blog Entries
    I finally got to fly the model. Kudos to all involved. It is well done. I don't remember the T-37 having such throttle response. It took several seconds for the engines to spool up. You had to be cognizant of this on approach and not get slow. Also, minor detail, I remember the G meter being where the flaps gauge is on this model. I assume it may have been moved, or my memory is faulty. Maybe another former UPTer remembers.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    someone mentioned bare metal, working on it:
    Looks great! I will be in line to download it when you release it. The real ones were a bit dirtier and dull, however.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Looks great!The real ones were a bit dirtier and dull, however.
    but I spent so much time polishing it...

978 (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

978 (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

978 (0009) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

978 (0011) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Anyone else having problems with flickering textures in the cockpit ? It's a great model, but the flickering is giving me a headache.

Yes I do Paul. It's almost stobe light like, right hand side of the VC, just below the dash.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Yeah, I get the strobe effect as well. So I make it a point to zoom in a little, which I need to do to read the gauges anyway, and then keep my view near the top coaming looking out of the windscreen. So for me, it isn't too much of a problem. Hopefully, it will be fixed though. What I have to figure out is how to retract the landing lights, LOL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    What I have to figure out is how to retract the landing lights, LOL.
    If I recall correctly, they come up with the gear.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Priller, Sundog - thanks, chaps. Always reassuring to know I'm not the only one. :-)

I finally got to fly the model. Kudos to all involved. It is well done. I don't remember the T-37 having such throttle response. It took several seconds for the engines to spool up. You had to be cognizant of this on approach and not get slow. Also, minor detail, I remember the G meter being where the flaps gauge is on this model. I assume it may have been moved, or my memory is faulty. Maybe another former UPTer remembers.
    I agree. Although I haven't flown one since mid 1988, the T-37's engine response was very slow. I don't recall about the G meter location, but overall, the cockpit is done very nicely. Although it's a bit "spicy", I want to congratulate the designer. The nostalgia this model brings back for me is fantastic - I'm loving it so far!
    Cheers,
    Dave

Cessna T-37B Tweet #63585

Got my first repaint of the great Cessna T-37B Tweet uploaded to FlightSim.to this morning. You can find it HERE. What a fun aircraft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tweet5.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	692.8 KB 
ID:	90285

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tweet 63585c.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	146.9 KB 
ID:	90286
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveKDEN View Post
    I agree. Although I haven't flown one since mid 1988, the T-37's engine response was very slow. I don't recall about the G meter location, but overall, the cockpit is done very nicely. Although it's a bit "spicy", I want to congratulate the designer. The nostalgia this model brings back for me is fantastic - I'm loving it so far!
    Dave I remember the G-Meter location because of a UPT screw up. I was on a solo sortie in a narrow but long area. I would fly the length and do an Immelmann or Split-S at the end of the area.

Well, I had my head out of the cockpit and saw the road defining the boundary of my area. Since I was high, it would be a Split-S. I looked at the airspeed indicator and saw 20 on the drum. Perfect, the entry speed for the Split-S was 120 kts. I rolled and pulled.

Quickly, I became aware of a lot more wind noise than normal. I looked at the airspeed indicator again and saw I had actually been at 220 kts. I was rapidly approaching the feared high-speed tuck. So, I popped the boards, went to idle on the throttles and PULLED. I saw my vision tunnel out to blackness, but I kept pulling. Soon the Gs became lighter and the wind noise abated.

When I got my vision back I saw that I had pulled 6 Gs, over Ging the aircraft. I cleared the G-meter RTB and never told a soul what had happened. I never did anything that stupid again, either. I have a visual memory of pushing the reset button on the G-meter with my left hand. Which I think it was located in the upper left corner.

I have often thought of how many other student pilots abused those airframes. That was one tough little airplane.
    John

32 GB DDR5 RAM

Thanks Tom for the repaint and thanks John for the story!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

If I recall correctly, they come up with the gear.
    Thanks, maybe I need to do a reinstall, as the landing lights didn't retract with gear up on my flight.

Dave I remember the G-Meter location because of a UPT screw up. I was on a solo sortie in a narrow but long area. I would fly the length and do an Immelmann or Split-S at the end of the area.

Well, I had my head out of the cockpit and saw the road defining the boundary of my area. Since I was high, it would be a Split-S. I looked at the airspeed indicator and saw 20 on the drum. Perfect, the entry speed for the Split-S was 120 kts. I rolled and pulled.

Quickly, I became aware of a lot more wind noise than normal. I looked at the airspeed indicator again and saw I had actually been at 220 kts. I was rapidly approaching the feared high-speed tuck. So, I popped the boards, went to idle on the throttles and PULLED. I saw my vision tunnel out to blackness, but I kept pulling. Soon the Gs became lighter and the wind noise abated.

When I got my vision back I saw that I had pulled 6 Gs, over Ging the aircraft. I cleared the G-meter RTB and never told a soul what had happened. I never did anything that stupid again, either. I have a visual memory of pushing the reset button on the G-meter with my left hand. Which I think it was located in the upper left corner.

I have often thought of how many other student pilots abused those airframes. That was one tough little airplane.
    That's quite a story - I imagine your heart rate went up just a bit... I do recall the rapid G onset rate could really catch you off guard.
    PS: I was in class 89-03R at Williams (Dec 1987- Dec 1988). One of the saddest days of my life was when I heard the USAF closed "Willie" in 1993. It was a great location for a UPT base.
    Cheers,
    Dave

EDIT ******HEADS UP - version 1.1.1 is out at Flightsim.to.******

Man, I'm loving this little beastie.
    Last edited by DaveKDEN; March 27th, 2023 at 15:45.
    Cheers,
    Dave

John what weapon system did you go off to fly after UPT?

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    John what weapon system did you go off to fly after UPT?

Kent
    Oops - wrong responder.
    Cheers,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    I knew we would have the answers here !! Very interesting thank you !!
    You're welcome, my pleasure, sir.

Members who have read this thread: 4