I can't resist....

Thread: I can't resist....

I can't resist....

....to post this: I just finished my first flight around the world!!!!!! Starting from Edmonton Intl. I flew west and today I landed again in Edmonton! (I almost smashed my airplane just before landing...).
    If somebody is interested I can post a detailed story of my long trip, including flight plans and aircrafts used.

Quote Originally Posted by SIAI S81 View Post
    ....to post this: I just finished my first flight around the world!!!!!! Starting from Edmonton Intl. I flew west and today I landed again in Edmonton! (I almost smashed my airplane just before landing...).
    If somebody is interested I can post a detailed story of my long trip, including flight plans and aircrafts used.
    With what aircraft did you fly? I once made the historic flight over the Atlantic with Manuele Villa's SM.79. I thought it was almost watching the grass grow 😉.

Cheers,
    Huub

Blog Entries
    Hello SIAI S81,
    I would like to hear about the route you took, and what you found most interesting.

For my trip around the world I had decided to keep things as real as I could. I flew with
    real weather with update, I flew a leg each "game" day, my aircrafts were loaded at the
    minimum (about 1000lbs of "cargo" plus the pilots) and with maximum fuel.
    The starting point was Edmonton Intl. Airport. I took off in a cold winter morning with my
    Fokker 100 (Project Fokker F100 v3) towards Alaska. I landed in Anchorage (Ted Stevens
    Airport) with a refuelling stop in Whitehorse.
    The second day I took off from Anchorage and I flew to Anadyr (Ugolny Airport), the
    following day from Anadyr to Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky (Yelizovo Airport).
    The following day I continued to fly south. From Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky to Sapporo (New
    Chitose Airport), where I stopped for refuel, with final stop in Tokyo (Haneda Airport).
    The following day I took off from Tokyo and disaster strikes: an unforcasted downdraft hits the airport while I was taking off, I couldn't climb and my Fokker was slammed to the ground. I sold the Fokker for scrap and after some days spent in Tokyo I found another plane: a local collector sold me a Vickers Vicking (FSDS2 Vickers Viking v 1.0 by Rick Piper).
    From Tokyo I flew to Taipei (Chiang Kai Shek Airport) where I stopped for refuel,with final
    destination Hong Kong Intl.Airport. In Hong Kong I managed to sell the Vickers to a local
    collector for a beautiful Avro Lancastrian still in RAF markings (Avro Lancastrian by
    Manfred Jahn and Paul Edwards). The great range of the Lancastrian helped me to reach the
    Middle East really quick. The following day I flew from Hong Kong to Bangkok Intl. Airport,
    the following morning I flew from Bangkok to Mumbai (Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Airport).
    Stop for the night in Mumbai, the following morning I took off for Abu Dhabi.
    I stopped in Abu Dhabi for about 10 days, a rich guy bought my Lancastrian and included in
    the deal I got a another piece of history: a Caproni Ca310 Libeccio (plane by F.Giuli).
    When I took off from Abu Dhabi I flew a short leg to Ryadh (King Khaled Airport). From
    Ryadh I flew a very long leg, I flew to the island of Malta (Luqa Airport) with a refulling
    stop in Tabuk and in Sidi el Barrani. It was sunset when I landed in Malta, the sky was
    clear, it was so nice and peaceful.
    The following day I took off heading North, I flew across Italy and I landed in Mattarello
    Airport near Trento. The runaway was barely long enough for my twin engine and the
    mountains are really really close. It was a challenging landing. The local museum bought my
    nice Caproni and lended me an Aviat TD (Aviat Husky v2 by Steven Grant) that I took to
    Torino (Torino Aeritalia Airport). Talking to a mechanic at the airport, I found out that a
    friend of his has a plane that he is restoring. Interesting! He contacted his friend and he
    was willing to selling it to me for a Cessna Titan. I accepted the deal, so from Torino I
    took a flame red Cessna Titan (Cessna 404 Titan by Mike Stone) to his place, Interlaken
    Airport in Switzerland.
    I stayed there for 3 months and on May 3rd the restored airplane was ready. It was a
    beautifull Savoia Marchetti SM74 in Ala Littoria livery, I-ROMA was ready to fly again
    (Savoia Marchetti SM74 by Manuele Villa).
    I took off in a freezing morning, it was hard to try to gain altitude with the Alps so
    close to you. That day I flew a long leg, from Interlaken to Stornoway Airport in Scotland
    with just a refuelling stop in Southampton Intl. Airport. In Stornoway I loaded in the
    cabin two 50gal drums of fuel that I connected to the aux tanks of the SM74. I will need
    the extra fuel from now on for reaching Canada. The following day I flew from Stornoway to
    Keflavik in Iceland where I stopped for the night.
    During the following day I flew a very long leg: from Keflavik to Iqaluit (Canada) with
    refuelling stops in Kulusuk and Nuuk in Greenland. I didn't have icing problems in
    Greenland even if in Kulusuk it was snowing while I was refuelling. I found the weather up
    there often windy and cold even in May.
    The following day I flew another very long leg: from Iqaluit I flew to Fort McMurray
    Airport with refuelling stops in Kimmirut and Rankin Inlet. During the flight from Kimmirut
    to Rankin Inlet I registered an OAT of -45C at 10,000ft....good I still had my winter coat!
    The flight from Rankin Inlet to Fort McMurray was at the limit of the range, I landed with
    just 48 gallons left in my tanks! I stopped in Fort McMurray for the night, the following
    morning I flew back to Edmonton Intl. Airport. The wind was really strong in Edmonton and
    at one point I lost control of the plane. I barely avoided a collision with the ground and
    after 3 go around I managed to land my SM74.

Blog Entries
    Very nice narrative SIAI S81, thanks for posting the details of your journey. You had many very interesting
    destinations, and flew a lot of nice airplanes.

Our routes intersected at one point. I was eastbound, flying a round the world tour in a Tupolev Tu-114,
    landing at UHPP Yelizovo on Feb. 6.

Thanks again for posting the details of your Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane91 View Post
    Very nice narrative SIAI S81, thanks for posting the details of your journey. You had many very interesting
    destinations, and flew a lot of nice airplanes.

Our routes intersected at one point. I was eastbound, flying a round the world tour in a Tupolev Tu-114,
    landing at UHPP Yelizovo on Feb. 6.

Thanks again for posting the details of your Flight.
    You flew a nice plane too!! I am sure you had way less stops for refuelling than me!!

Blog Entries
    The Tu-114 does have long haul capabilities, but it's pilot does not. The route flown
    was planned around point to point flights of about 1 to 2 hours each. Long over water
    flights were avoided. This was more of a bus stop tour. no hurry.

That's the way to do it, enjoying the flight and no hurry.

Thanks for the nice stories. I might do this one in the future.

Cheers,
    Huub

Time to get these types of Flights going again, even if it's on a more 'impromptu' kind of level. Less like a Race, and more of a 'hey, lets take this on and have some fun' sort of thing. I'm game, if anyone else is!

Anniversaries

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Thanks for the nice stories. I might do this one in the future.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Hi Huub,
    Next year is the 90th anniversary of the McRobertson Race so I plan to do that one next year. Maybe we could do it together, you could fly the DC-2 "Uiver" and I will try to fly a Siai S73 or a Boeing 247D (The Italians wanted to enter the race with the S79 but it wasn't ready in time).
    This year is the 90th anniversary of the flight of Italo Balbo to Chicago (and 100th anniversary of the Italian Air Force) so I will try to fly the S55X on the same route to Chicago and back.

Members who have read this thread: 0