Repainting: I really need help here. Like, really.

Thread: Repainting: I really need help here. Like, really.

Repainting: I really need help here. Like, really.

I am SO out of my depth with this.

I have Blender 3.4. I have Photoshop, I have GIMP. I have the plugins that (supposedly) allow Blender to import .gltf files.

But it fails at the first hurdle: I can't even get the .gltf files to show up in the File View window, viz:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-09 031948.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	90059

I've tried searching online for help but wading through the non-answers is risking what hair remains on my head. I just want to paint some airplanes, dammit! HELP!

Which import gltf for MSFS do you use?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

and you don't always need Blender to do repaints. I have never used it so far.
    Which model do you want to paint?
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Looks like „ Baron” 😁.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Very interested in this thread. I go to YT to look at tutorials, and they seem to all be using Blender. I'd like to know what else can be used and how to save the files and the complete airplane so I would not be eliminating the original paint scheme. I assume that it is a copy one works off of when doing this work so as to not corrupt the original. I have been painting from FS98 to FSX, but this one seems a bit different.

Don BP

I haven't used blender to repaint either.
    I still use Photoshop and paintshop-pro.
    You do need the Nvidia texture tool exporter to convert it to the needed format.
    https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-...tools-exporter

paint.net is the simplest 'one-stop' shop - free, opens DDS files natively and has good editting tools, it's all I use.

Thanks for the answers, folks. Once again, I was making life difficult for myself. To hear that Jankees has never used Blender lifted my spirits a LOT.

My biggest issue doing flat repaints is not being able to open the texture files using DXTBmp (unknown header error), but I see I need a new texture decoder program for the new format. I'll give these a shot.

To be more specific, I'd love to do a few DC-3s (like Austin Airways), put proper branding on the stock prototype, Air Inuit and Wardair Caribous, and a few general/what-if PAX750 XSTOL paints. Doing my friend's '53 Bonanza would also be nice.

Gimp and Paint.net are both free and both work with the current texture formats. There is just one caveat. I like the interface on Gimp better, but once in a while, you find a file that it won't open. I use Paint.net as a backup for that.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Personal opinion here. I've watched the blender painters....and no offense to them, but their stuff looks very poor quality. Even when using Substance you need to get into PS to do things. Since aircraft are not generic and require specific painted parts of specific panels etc.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Rallymodeller View Post
    My biggest issue doing flat repaints is not being able to open the texture files using DXTBmp (unknown header error), but I see I need a new texture decoder program for the new format. I'll give these a shot.
    Install the Nvidia tool Spook mentioned and you can import and export straight into Photoshop, no DXTbmp needed anymore
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Mach3DS View Post
    Personal opinion here. I've watched the blender painters....and no offense to them, but their stuff looks very poor quality. Even when using Substance you need to get into PS to do things. Since aircraft are not generic and require specific painted parts of specific panels etc.
    Yes, that's right, it's just a tool for simple solutions in this case, but I don't think anyone serious treats it as just one tool for all things, without other programms, you should always use other softwares for repaints also. Together, however, they are a great solution.

Hi I use this plugin with blender 3.3.1 and it works fine

https://drive.google.com/u/0/uc?id=1...xport=download

# ##### BEGIN GPL LICENSE BLOCK #####
    #
    # This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
    # modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License
    # as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2
    # of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
    #
    # This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    # but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    # MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    # GNU General Public License for more details.
    #
    # You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
    # along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation,
    # Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301, USA.
    #
    # ##### END GPL LICENSE BLOCK #####

You can also install the INTEL Texture Works Plugin for PS. That's what I use.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I installed the NVidia tool (I use an NVidia GPU anyway) and it seems to do exactly what I want. Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rallymodeller View Post
    I installed the NVidia tool (I use an NVidia GPU anyway) and it seems to do exactly what I want. Thanks, all!
    Did you have to register with Nvidia as a developer ? That's what I'm getting before they'll let me download it.

Members who have read this thread: 0