How to Fly (Better) - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to Fly (Better)

I have been keeping up with these posts and intend to try them out. Haven't been able to fly the last couple of weeks as I rebuilt/upgraded my computer and reloaded most of it from scratch. Did keep the drive with CFS3 programs and saved some user folders.

I had always trimmed out the yaw with ailerons and maybe some elevator, not rudder. I was thinking the rudder trim put more drag on the plane. I guess I was wrong.

Also always wondered, if I trim out at reduced power how it might affect full power combat performance.

Keep them coming!

Bob

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    This is really great. Learning how to fly real challenging aircraft such as the F-16 in Falcon BMS. Aircraft take much more attention in modern jet fighter/bombers. Falcon BMS has to be the most challenging air combat sim i've ever played. Love flying the WW I and WW II aircraft ,but fighter tactics in modern aircraft have changed to some degree. Dogfighting rules haven't changed that much other than beyond visual range tactics and defense. Thanks for all the information !

Quote Originally Posted by mcbob View Post
    I have been keeping up with these posts and intend to try them out. Haven't been able to fly the last couple of weeks as I rebuilt/upgraded my computer and reloaded most of it from scratch. Did keep the drive with CFS3 programs and saved some user folders.

I had always trimmed out the yaw with ailerons and maybe some elevator, not rudder. I was thinking the rudder trim put more drag on the plane. I guess I was wrong.

Also always wondered, if I trim out at reduced power how it might affect full power combat performance.

Keep them coming!

Bob
    The relationship between trim and drag is going to vary from aircraft to aircraft, but it will generally be pretty negligible. Trimming causes the control surfaces to deflect, which of course creates some drag, but to fly the airplane, even straight and level, is still going to require the exact same control surface deflection to get the same result, whether you are holding the pressure yourself or using trim to do it for you. Take a look at a picture of a Spitfire in level flight, and you will notice the elevator is always deflected slightly down. That certainly causes more drag than if it was in the streamlined position, but if you streamline the elevator with the horizontal stabilizer, you will find yourself in a significant climb. Obviously you can't go as fast in a climb as you can in level flight, so the Spitfire's top speed is reached with the elevator deflected slightly downward. You can experiment with this in the SJ Spitfire Mk.V, which replicates this facet of the design. Had the Spitfire been designed slightly differently, such that the elevator was streamlined in level flight, it might have been faster, but this "design flaw" also contributed to its wonderful lightness on the elevator, so just like any aircraft design, it's a compromise to get the desired results. When I worked building and test flying for a home-built aircraft company, I would customize the control surface rigging to meet the desires of the customer. Rigging the ailerons so they drooped slightly below the wing when in the neutral position, gave the aircraft a lower stall speed, allowing for lower landing speeds and stopping distances, allowing shorter airstrips to be used. But this came at a cost in top speed since the drooped ailerons caused more drag. If they wanted the best top speed and efficiency they could get, I rigged the ailerons streamlined. Some wanted a compromise between the two. In most categories of aircraft you don't have that kind of flexibility, and the design is what it is, but hopefully those examples demonstrate some of how having control surfaces streamlined at the neutral position is not always best, and is actually one of the design features of the aircraft.

Now, you might say that a trim tab being deflected to deflect the control surface creates more drag than if the pilot kept the trim tab streamlined and deflected the control surface manually to achieve the desired results. Sure, that's true, but we aren't talking about huge differences. And as the aircraft accelerates, it is generally going to take progressively less trim deflection to achieve the same results than at a slower speed. So the faster you go, the less effect the trim tab is going to have on drag. Now you have to balance that with your own ability to keep the aircraft stable without the aid of a trim tab. Bobbing up and down as you try to hold it perfectly steady is going to hurt your top speed way more than the little bit of drag the trim tab is adding. There is no way you are going to hold the aircraft as steady by hand as the trim tab will if you use it with precision.

Looking at your question about trimming at reduced power and then going to full power - since pushing the throttle forward to increase engine power is a change in the configuration of the aircraft, your trim needs are going to change. Rudder and aileron trim will need to compensate for the increased torque effects (assuming a propeller-driven aircraft) and as you accelerate, your elevator trim needs are going to change. Speaking of just the elevator, one of three things is going to happen:
    1. You don't move the elevator or the trim, and you begin to climb, eventually settling out at the same airspeed as before, but now climbing instead of flying level.
    2. You do your best to hold the plane level by pushing the stick forward, having to push harder and harder as you accelerate.
    3. You gradually increase nose down elevator trim to keep the aircraft level as you accelerate.

So it's a question of what you want to do and how hard you want to have to work. The pilot who uses trim effectively is going to outperform the pilot who does not.

One last note on trim, specifically rudder trim, yaw, and drag. Flying with the ball centered is called flying coordinated, and it means the aircraft is aligned with its direction of flight. As the ball moves away from center, this indicates that the aircraft is becoming increasingly less aligned with its direction of flight, meaning more and more of the side of the aircraft is being presented to the oncoming wind instead of just the forward facing surfaces. This creates a LOT of drag since you are basically trying to push the airplane through the air partly sideways. You are going to have less drag and go faster if you fly coordinated with the ball centered than if you don't, no matter what you have to do with the controls to make it happen. Rudder and rudder trim are the go-to means of keeping the ball centered.

Hope that helps answer those questions. Great questions, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    And as the aircraft accelerates, it is generally going to take progressively less trim deflection to achieve the same results than at a slower speed. So the faster you go, the less effect the trim tab is going to have on drag.
    I need to correct this point. It was late and I must have been more tired than I thought. The faster you go, the more nose-down trim you are going to have to apply, so the trim tab will be deflected more, not less, and the drag created by it will also be more, not less. However, I'd still say it isn't going to affect top speed all that much, and that any speed increase from not using trim and holding the controls manually is theoretical, and in practice you aren't going be able to hold the aircraft as steady as the trim tab will unless that's all you're focused on. This just isn't practical unless you're a test pilot trying to find the absolute top speed of the aircraft.

Are we to have more, Dan?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

There will be. I have the start of one, but haven't had much time to write it. I'll be using the SJ Spitfire Mk.V to explain flying by known configurations for different phases of flight and transitioning between those configurations, as well as eyes-outside flying. Mastering those skills will set you up for working on good, safe landings in the next part. After that I'll probably do a bit on taxi and takeoff. After that, there are a lot of other places we could take it, and I'm open to suggestions for what people want to learn about.

Landings for me are the most difficult. How to loose altitude and still keep the nose up/level rather than down is really hard.

How to Fly (Better) Entry #4 - Flaps

Since the next post may be longer in coming since it is a bit more involved, I thought I'd do a quick one that I think will be helpful before trying to tackle it. We haven't talked all that much about flaps, what they do, when to use them, etc.

There are various types of flaps, and we have a number of them represented in our CFS3 aircraft. Common to nearly all of them are four things.
    1. Lowering them increases lift.
    2. Lowering them reduces stall speed.
    3. Lowering them increases drag.
    4. Lowering them causes the aircraft to pitch down somewhat.

An exception to that last point is the Me 163. Its flaps are positioned more forward on the wing, at a point where they do not cause the aircraft to pitch either up or down.

Hopefully from the above and what we've talked about in previous posts, you can deduce that using flaps will have a big effect on airspeed control, and vertical speed control. We can also deduce that, if used appropriately, flaps can:

1. Reduce turn radius.
    2. Reduce takeoff and landing distances.
    3. Increase climb rate and or angle.

Uses of Flaps:

Landing: Using flaps for landing is the primary purpose for flaps on almost any aircraft. Because of their effect on lift, drag, and stall speed, they allow controllable flight at much lower airspeeds. When you are trying to return to earth in a controlled fashion and in one piece, slower is better. A slower landing speed also reduces the distance it takes to stop.

Takeoff:
    Most aircraft at least have the option to use flaps for takeoff, which reduces takeoff distance. Full flaps are seldom used, since the drag penalty tends to slow the acceleration enough that it overrides the lift benefit. Typically, some intermediate flap setting will be designated as the takeoff setting. In the Fw 190, you literally press a button for landing setting, takeoff setting, and flaps up. Most others you just remember what the setting is in degrees and set that.

Deceleration: Flaps can be used to decelerate. This is commonly done in the traffic pattern as you prepare for landing. Typically, flaps will gradually be lowered in increments prior to final approach, either while maintaining level flight or while descending. This culminates in reaching final approach speed with the flaps fully extended.

Terrain/Mountain Flying: When your options are constrained by terrain around you, flaps can reduce the area required to maneuver, both vertically and horizontally. In the vertical, lowing flaps to an intermediate setting increases your climb angle, meaning you gain more height for every foot forward you fly. If you find yourself boxed in by terrain slowing down and popping in some flaps just might make the difference. Horizontally, it reduces your turn radius. It does this by slowing you down (less distance forward covered per degree of turn) and once in a steep bank, a large portion of that extra lift produced by the flaps is directed horizontally, and pulls you through the turn. The results are dramatic, and can allow safe flight in surprisingly tight terrain. In a previous job I did a lot of flying in valleys and canyons, and used flaps extensively to increase my safety margin in confined areas. As with takeoff, generally full flaps are not used for this.

An example of this is a portion of a tour route I used to fly in Arizona where a climbing turn had to be executed in a confined bowl with vertical canyon walls. The prevailing winds often created strong downdrafts capable of shoving an unprepared pilot right down into the canyon on one side, and strong updrafts on the other, where the wind hit the opposite wall and shot upward. I would hug the canyon wall at close to the airspeed limit for 10 degrees of flaps. As the oncoming wall of the bowl filled my windscreen, I would start to pick up the updraft, put in my 10 degrees of flaps, bank away from the wall and start climbing. The extra speed is not desirable in a turn in a confined space, but it can be converted to altitude very quickly, which was extremely desirable to combat the downdraft I was about to fly into. The flaps boost the deceleration, the climb, and cut the turn radius almost in half all at once, keeping me well clear of terrain, with a good enough climb rate to fight the downdraft. If the downdraft was exceptional that day, I would also be slow enough at this point to apply another 10 degrees of flaps to overcome it.

Go take a flight in the Alps sometime and try it out turns in a narrow valley. It can be a lot of fun.

Combat: Some aircraft like the P-51 and P-38 are equipped with combat flaps. These are just their regular landing flaps, but the smaller settings are able to be deployed at very high speeds without damage, and if I'm not mistaken, a relatively small drag penalty. In my above example, I had to make sure I didn't start my turn at too high an airspeed, or I would damage my flaps. No such problem with these aircraft. All of the advantages described above can be used to keep yourself out of the enemy's sights, or bring him into yours. But be careful, the flaps and all that tight turning will bleed off your all-important energy, putting you at the mercy of your opponent if not used with discretion. You can find lots of examples in after action reports about the use of flaps at opportune moments in a dogfight on planes that had this capability.

Emergency Descents: If you find yourself in a situation where you need to get down to the ground immediately, to avoid attack or some other emergency, and you aren't in a fighters that is stressed to take the speed and g-loads of a vertical dive and pull out, deploying everything that creates drag on your aircraft (thus including flaps), and pulling the power to idle will give you a rapid descent without ripping the wings off. It's a handy thing to have in your back pocket when you need it.

One very important thing to note with all of this is that flaps have airspeed limitations. If you lower the flaps at too high of an airspeed, they can be damaged or even ripped off. CFS3 does model this, including asymmetric damage to your flaps, which results in total loss of control. Usually there will be more than one limitation, associated with different degrees of flap extension. Each type of aircraft will have its own limitations, so make sure you know what they are on the one you are flying.

Flaps and Trim Changes:

Supposing you are in stable, level flight, lowering the flaps will initially result in a lowered pitch attitude, a climb, and reducing airspeed. Depending on the aircraft, your power setting, and how much you lowered the flaps, once the airspeed has stabilized, you may still be climbing, you might be level, or you could be descending. In any case you WILL be slower. If you are stable climbing or descending, you will see an initial increase in climb rate, or decrease in descent rate, respectively.

If you have flaps down, and raise them, you will see the reverse of all these effects.

To decelerate by lowering flaps but still maintaining level flight, you initially will have to use a lot of forward stick pressure to combat the sudden increase in lift. Note - always make sure you are under the airspeed limitation for the amount of flaps you are extending before extending them. You may want to trim out the pressure with elevator trim, but your initial response needs to be with the elevator, since trim will not respond fast enough. As the aircraft slows down, the pressure or trim required to hold it level will reduce, and eventually reverse as you start to pull back on the stick to keep the aircraft from descending. You may further have to increase engine power to keep from slowing too much and stalling. To accelerate by raising the flaps again, the reverse will be true - first having to pull more elevator due to the loss of lift, and then reducing it as speed increases. The caution here is to make sure you are above the stall speed for whatever reduced flap setting you are selecting. The stall speed will increase as lift decreases as the flaps retract. If you are below it when you do, you will stall. Additionally, if you have intermediate flap setting airspeed limitations, make sure you don't blow right through them as you accelerate before actually raising the flaps above that limitation.

Suffice it to say, a lot happens when you change your flaps setting. The key is to anticipate the changes, before you do it, and correct accordingly.

That's all for now on flaps. I just thought it would be good to get familiar with them before moving on. Try experimenting with the effect of flaps when raising and lowering them, while leaving engine power and trim alone, and then try some decelerations and accelerations using flaps while maintaining the same altitude. If you want, you can also experiment with turn radius with and without flaps extended, and try an emergency descent in a bomber, or experiment with using them in a dogfight (if your aircraft has combat flaps). If you want to really go the extra mile, see if you can put together everything from this and the previous posts, and try to maintain a steady rate of descent and a constant airspeed while changing flap settings (hint: you'll be changing engine power and trim a lot).

Have fun!

How to Fly (Better) Entry #5 - Configurations

In this part, we are going to put together what we have covered in the previous sections into a flight. On previous flights, we were experimenting with the effects of different controls or changes to aircraft configuration. On this flight, we will practice flying in a very practical, operational way. We will focus on knowing the exact configuration we want to put the aircraft in for different phases of flight, and transitioning between those configurations. The idea is to take the guesswork out of getting the aircraft to do what you want it to do. This will come very much in handy for setting yourself up for success with tasks involving a bit more precision, such as landing.

For this flight, I am going to be using the SJ Spitfire Mk.VA and the Real Systems Module. It has some idiosyncrasies that I think make it good for giving you an idea of the kinds of considerations you need to keep in mind when working through aircraft configurations. You can choose to follow along step by step in the Spitfire, and I'll walk you through it, or you can try to apply the principles to a different aircraft.

I am also going to introduce eyes-outside flying as part of configuring the aircraft for different phases of flight. Basically, I want you to forget that the artificial horizon in your cockpit exists. The name of the gauge gives away the purpose of this. It is an artificial horizon. It is a tiny, scaled down, less precise version of the real horizon and serves as a backup for when you can't see the actual horizon. We use the horizon (and in instrument conditions, the artificial horizon) for more than just general orientation of which way is up and which way is down. It allows us to set precise pitch and bank attitudes to achieve desired outcomes. And to be clear, when I talk about pitch, I am talking the aircraft's pitch attitude as referenced by the position of the nose relative to the horizon. I am not talking about propeller pitch. Setting a specific pitch attitude is just as much a part of flying as are engine power settings and trim settings. It can be done just as precisely, and, once you are really at home in your aircraft, nearly unconsciously. Much like how you tend to have the lane stripe on the road disappear from view under a specific part of your car's hood (or bonnet, if you're driving on the wrong side of the road ), you will have the horizon intersect a specific part of your cockpit's framing. This spot will be different of course depending on what you're trying to do. A max rate climb will look different from a cruise climb, level flight, a 45-degree bank, etc. But, much like learning to drive where you have to pay a lot of attention to where that spot is to stay in your lane at first, eventually you learn to put it in the right place without thinking.

A note on power changes. There is a right way and a wrong way to do this. The wrong way can literally melt your engine in very short order. For most of our aircraft, you have a throttle lever, an RPM lever, and a mixture lever. When increasing power, always move the mixture lever to the rich position first, followed by the RPM lever, and finally the throttle. The reason being, you don't want to add all that power before the engine has the fuel and RPM it needs to avoid detonation. Likewise, when reducing power, you use the reverse order, again to avoid putting the prop and mixture controls in a setting only appropriate for lower power when the throttle is still at a high setting. Most CFS3 aircraft don't have these consequences modeled, but the Spitfire will bite you hard for it.

A note on the configuration specifics. These are intended to get you as close as I can to being able to fall into the desired phase of flight efficiently and without hunting around too much for good settings. Consider them good known settings to go for initially, and be prepared to fine tune them to get the desired results. Different flight conditions, particularly altitude, along with fuel and weapons load, can cause some variance in parameters. There are defining performance benchmarks for each phase of flight and all other settings are tweaked to achieve precision in those benchmarks. I have marked them in bold.

These are my own notes for how I fly the aircraft. They are based first and foremost on the original pilots notes for the aircraft, and also from cockpit videos where I can see what actual Spitfire pilots are doing. I don't make any claims that a real Spitfire pilot would look at these and say everything is right. It is just one way to do it and it works well in CFS3.

There is a lot of material here - break it up into more manageable chunks if need be. But keep in mind that it is not just the configurations themselves we are working on, but also transitioning between them, so don't isolate them from each other.

Take-off

So, first thing first - takeoff. I am not going to go into takeoff technique right now, but I will give you the configuration parameters. Here our main concerns are to get off the ground safely, and accelerate to keep the radiator temperature within limits. The liquid-cooled engine is still cooled by air passing through the radiator. If we want to keep the engine cool, we need airspeed so that there is enough air flow through the radiator.

Mixture: Auto-Normal (lever fully back)
    Propeller: Max (3,000) RPM (lever fully forward)
    Throttle: Max (+12.5 lbs boost at sea level)
    Flaps: Up
    Elevator Trim: 1 Division Nose Down on the elevator trim indicator
    Rudder Trim: Fully starboard
    Radiator Shutter: Fully Open
    Undercarriage: Up (shortly after liftoff)
    Pitch: Bottom of gunsight glass level with the horizon
    Airspeed: Rapidly accelerating to at least 140 mph
    Rate of Climb: Less than 1,000 feet per minute
    Radiator Temperature: Less than 135 C

Climb

Now that we're off the ground and accelerating, the next thing to do is to set up a good, sustainable climb. What kind of climb we perform depends on the mission. If we have inbound bandits at Angels One-Five, we need to gain altitude as quickly as possible to be in position to intercept with an altitude advantage. If we are off on a fighter sweep over occupied France, fuel efficiency is more important, so we might consider a more leisurely cruise climb.

Combat Climb

Not much changes from takeoff configuration, but now our attention shifts to maintaining the optimum airspeed for climb. In the Spitfire Mk.V, the best rate of climb airspeed is 170 mph below 10,000ft. To transition to a combat climb from takeoff configuration, all you need to do is reduce engine revs to 2,850 RPM using the RPM control once you are higher than 2,500 feet above sea level and set your pitch to give you an airspeed of 170 mph. As you climb, you may be able to progressively close the radiator shutter if temperatures are running in the 80-90 C range. This reduces drag and gives you better performance. You will need to adjust rudder trim whenever you change the radiator shutter position. Once everything has settled in climbing at 170 mph and trimmed hands free, make a note (actually write it down) of where the horizon is relative to your cockpit. I have included in the configuration specifics an approximate pitch attitude you can expect to work, but you will need to create a clear mental picture of exactly the pitch attitude that works.

Propeller: 2,850 RPM
    Throttle: Max
    Elevator Trim: Slightly less than 1 Division Nose Up
    Rudder Trim: As required
    Undercarriage: Up
    Pitch: Lower front corner of windscreen quarter windows level with the horizon
    Airspeed: 170 mph
    Expected Rate of Climb: ~2,500-3,000 feet per minute - varies with altitude
    Expected Radiator Temperature: - varies with altitude

Cruise Climb

As mentioned earlier, cruise climb is a more fuel-efficient way to get yourself to altitude. Here we climb at a reduced power setting (max continuous power), and instead of flying by an airspeed and letting the climb rate be what it will be, we set a rate of climb, and let the airspeed settle in where it will. Whether coming down from takeoff configuration or a combat climb, the process is the same. Reduce throttle first, followed by RPM. Pitch for the desired climb rate (let's just say 1,000 feet per minute in this case), and trim for hands free flight. As with combat climb, make a note of where the horizon is. Also, to an even greater extent than combat climb, you may be able to get the radiator shutter closed somewhat while still maintaining good temperatures.

Propeller: 2,650 RPM
    Throttle: +7 lbs
    Elevator Trim: Neutral or slightly nose down
    Radiator Shutter: Fully Open (can probably eventually close it)
    Pitch:Bottom of gunsight glass level with the horizon
    Expected Airspeed: ~225 mph - varies with altitude
    Rate of Climb: 1,000 feet per minute
    Expected Radiator Temperature: 75-85 C - varies with altitude

Cruise

When it comes to level cruise, there are many possible configurations appropriate for different operational needs. We will only look at a "normal" cruise and a combat cruise here, but just be aware that there are different settings for maximum range, maximum endurance, etc.

Normal Cruise

We're going to first look at a general purpose normal cruise, and also practice a level out from climb. The first part of this is timing. If you want to level out at a specific altitude, you will want to lead your level out altitude and start leveling out prior to reaching the desired altitude. A good rule of thumb is to lead it by 1/10th of your rate of climb. So leveling out from a 1,500 foot per minute climb, you will want to start reducing pitch to a level flight attitude 150 feet before your target altitude. Pitch until you are holding altitude with no climb or descent rate showing, and start trimming to hold it. Allow yourself to accelerate a bit before reducing power. Reduce throttle first, then RPM, and for this configuration, you will also set the mixture to Auto-Weak. Trim for hands free flight, and reduce your radiator shutter setting to the greatest extent possible. Note the position of the horizon.

Mixture: Auto-Weak (lever fully forward)
    Propeller: 2,400 RPM
    Throttle: +2 lbs
    Elevator Trim: Neutral
    Radiator Shutter: As required
    Pitch:Top of cowl at horizon
    Expected Airspeed: varies with altitude
    Rate of Climb: 0 feet per minute
    Expected Radiator Temperature: 70-80 C - varies with altitude

Turns

Obviously, if we are going to navigate anywhere, we will need to make some turns. But since this disturbs the equilibrium we are trying to maintain, adjustments need to be made. Let's enter a 30-degree banking turn to the left. You will achieve and maintain the bank angle with ailerons, but there is more you have to do. Keep an eye on the horizon and verify with your vertical speed indicator, because if left to its own devices, your nose is going to drop somewhat. Counteract this by pulling back on the stick to maintain the horizon at the correct level and cross check your airspeed to ensure you aren't accelerating or decelerating. Once you have the right picture in your head, you can fly very accurately without referencing the gauge. A left turn will require left rudder to keep yourself coordinated. Also, this whole process causes you to lose altitude. To maintain it, you need to increase engine power. I have found that adding about 1 lb of boost on the boost gauge is a good ballpark guess for 30-degree banks on the Spitfire. Steeper banks will require more power to be added. This also holds true in climbs and descents to maintain a steady rate of climb or descent.

Combat Cruise

In a combat zone where you may get bounced at any moment, it is wise to keep your speed up. You can't sustain full combat power for long, but a high-power combat cruise is the next best thing. So we're going to practice increasing power here. First, move the mixture lever to Auto-Normal, then increase the RPM, and lastly increase the throttle. You will likely have to open the radiator shutter somewhat to maintain cool engine temperatures. Also remember that even though you are still maintaining level flight, since we are accelerating, you will still have to apply some nose-down trim to keep from climbing. As before, note the position of the horizon. Also note that due to our higher airspeed, our nose is somewhat lower than in normal cruise, but we are still maintaining altitude. This is also a good time to remember to take the gun safety off and turn on the gunsight.

Propeller: 2,650 RPM
    Throttle: +7 lbs
    Elevator Trim:1/2 Division Nose Down
    Radiator Shutter: As required
    Pitch:Top of gunsight frame slightly above horizon
    Expected Airspeed: varies with altitude
    Expected Radiator Temperature: 80-90 C - varies with altitude

Descent

Time to head home and start a descent. We could get into how to determine when to descend, but I think I'll save that for if we ever get into navigation. Here I'll just cover how to do it. We are basically going back to a normal cruise setting, but maintaining a steady descent instead of level flight. Since it is a power reduction, we will reduce throttle first, then RPM. We are going to leave the mixture control in the Auto-Normal position. The reason for this is that if descending at a reduced power setting from high altitude, as you descend, the boost pressure supplied by the set throttle position is going to increase. It is very easy not to notice this and end up with a higher boost pressure than is safe for using Auto-Weak mixture. For navigational planning, it is best to target a set rate of descent instead of a set airspeed. In this case we will use 2,000 feet per minute. Engine over-cooling is a concern in this phase of flight, since we have a lower power setting and thus aren't generating as much heat, but the descent gives us a lot of airspeed, and thus much greater cooling than normal. So we will close the radiator. As we push the aircraft into the descent, as airspeed builds up, the amount of nose down trim will need to be steadily increased until airspeed stabilizes. Always remember, you aren't done trimming until your speed is stable. As always, note the position of the horizon.

Propeller: 2,400 RPM
    Elevator Trim: 3/4 Division Nose Down
    Radiator Shutter: Streamlined (lever positioned adjacent to the red triangle on the map box)
    Pitch: 1/4 of the gunsight glass above the horizon
    Expected Airspeed:~290 mph - varies with altitude
    Rate of Descent: 2,000 feet per minute
    Expected Radiator Temperature: ~75-85 C - varies with altitude

Landing Pattern

When we level out from our descent to prepare for landing, we are going to want to level out at about 1,000 ft above ground level. CFS3 doesn't do us any favors here since the elevation of the different airfields isn't readily accessible and our altimeters read altitude above sea level. It might be best to practice at an airfield that is basically at sea level to give you a rough feel for what 1,000 ft looks like. And, as with the climb, we want to lead the level off by 10% of the descent rate. Since we were doing 2,000 feet per minute in our descent, we'll start the level off 200 feet higher than our target altitude. The main task here is to maintain that altitude while slowing to a speed from which we can begin to configure for landing. In all the other phases of flight, we chose either a rate of climb/descent or an airspeed to target, but from here until we touch down, we will be targeting a specific airspeed and a specific rate of descent. But by now, you should be able to tell that in each of our configurations so far, there was a corresponding rate of climb or descent to any airspeed we tried to hold, and an airspeed that corresponded to any rate of climb or descent. The key was a consistent configuration, and that is all we are doing here. So as we level out we want to reduce power to maintain an airspeed of 140 mph. Undercarriage and flaps can be extended below 160 mph, so this speed gives us some margin so we don't accidentally damage them during a moment of inattention. As we slow down, radiator temperatures will start to increase due to less air flow through the radiator. They are about to increase a lot more as we slow further and encounter an interesting Spitfire quirk when we lower the flaps and undercarriage. With the undercarriage down, the radiator inlet is partially blocked, and when the flaps are down, the outflow from the radiator is seriously obstructed. Combined with low airspeeds, this causes radiator temperature to climb quickly. It is a good idea to get ahead of this and open the radiator fully and re-trim the rudder before starting your approach. Here I also need to mention something about how your constant-speed propeller works. So far we have been setting our engine RPM with the propeller control. This is only possible when the engine is running at high enough power, or our airspeed is high enough, to drive the propeller at the selected RPM. When we are setting up to land, we are at both low power, and low airspeed. Those factors are going to limit the maximum RPM that can be maintained with the propeller control. RPM will now fluctuate based on engine power and airspeed. And lastly, am I sounding like a broken record yet? - note the position of the horizon!

Propeller: ~2,100 RPM
    Throttle: -3 lbs (-2lbs for 30 degree bank turn)
    Elevator Trim:~1 1/2 Divisions Nose Up
    Airspeed: 140 mph
    Expected Radiator Temperature: ~75 C

Initial Approach

Having now slowed and stabilized yourself in the traffic pattern, it's time to descend. When we talk about landings, I will go into when and where to start the descent, but for now we just want to figure out our configuration for how we descend. Start by lowering the undercarriage, which will cause the nose to drop - expect this and don't allow it to happen. Keep it in the same place. Then reduce power to -6 lbs, and once again, the nose will start to drop, and once again, don't let it. Since you have more drag and less power, but you are maintaining the same pitch attitude, your airspeed will start to drop off steadily, and the aircraft will begin a descent. You will find yourself trimming full nose up elevator and you may still need slight elevator pressure. Airspeed will settle in at the prescribed 95 mph, and you will be in a roughly 1,000 foot per minute descent. Note that there is very little change in pitch attitude from your previous configuration. You will also notice that your RPM needle is at or near the bottom of the scale, even though you didn't touch the propeller control. At your leisure, bring the propeller control to max RPM. Nothing will change, but this step is important, since it ensures your engine will be ready for you to go to full throttle immediately if you need to perform a go-around.

Propeller: ~1,600 RPM (lever fully forward in case of go-around)
    Throttle: -6 lbs (-5lbs for 30 degree bank turn)
    Elevator Trim:Fully Up
    Undercarriage: Down
    Airspeed: 95 mph
    Rate of Descent: 1,000 feet per minute
    Expected Radiator Temperature: ~77 C

Final Approach

In the final phase of the approach to landing, about 500 feet above the runway, we will lower the flaps and enter our final landing configuration. On most aircraft you will have one or two intermediate configurations as you lower your flaps in increments. The Spitfire has no incremental flap settings - it's all or nothing. Since they also significantly obstruct airflow through the radiator, I wait until the final segment of my approach to lower them, in order to keep engine temperatures lower. As you will see, flaps have a huge effect on radiator temperature in the Spitfire. So lower your flaps at about 500 feet. The nose will drop significantly, and this time you can let it happen, but not too low. Keeping the top of the black gunsight frame a little above the horizon will be about right. To maintain our steady 1,000 feet per minute descent, you will need to increase power to -4 lbs (you will see RPM rise with it, but you can ignore that). If you're keeping up with your rudder trim, you may find yourself at or near the starboard limit. Elevator trim is already at max nose up, so there is nothing to do there. I'll save everything else about landing technique for later, but you may find that just having a nice stable approach at an appropriate descent rate and airspeed solves most of your problems.

Propeller: ~1,700 RPM (lever fully forward in case of go-around)
    Throttle: -4 lbs (-3lbs for 30 degree bank turn)
    Flaps: Down
    Rudder Trim: Fully Starboard
    Pitch: Top of gunsight frame slightly above horizon
    Airspeed: 85 mph
    Expected Radiator Temperature: ~115 C

Go-Around

No pilot is perfect, and sometimes a landing approach just isn't looking right. Every pilot should be prepared for the possibility of a go-around on every landing. You have to earn the right to land, and if you haven't, you go around for another try. No harm, no foul. It is good to practice this maneuver as there is a lot going on at low speed and high power close to the ground. Your primary concern is simply aircraft control as you transition rapidly between two radically different phases of flight. You need to stop your descent, maintain airspeed, accelerate, and climb. The first thing is to increase power. If you followed your configurations earlier, the engine is all clear to bring in max throttle right away without fear of causing damage. But this doesn't mean we just slam the throttle forward. A smooth increase in throttle at a moderate rate is appropriate. In the Spitfire Mk.VA, we can go to full power, but with some of the more powerful fighters, full throttle isn't necessary, and might even lead to a loss of control. With the added engine power, you should stop the descent and begin to accelerate. The next urgent thing is to get the flaps up. Raising the flaps first before you have built up airspeed will cause you to keep dropping, but once you have accelerated past 100 mph it is safe to raise them. This helps you accelerate, and prevents you from overheating. A go-around without raising flaps in a Spitfire can quickly turn into a low altitude engine failure. During this whole time you should be fighting to keep the nose from going sky high. Remember your elevator trim? It's still at full nose up. Hold the nose down and get that trim setting lowered. If you fail to keep your nose from going too high, you can easily stall. Remember your takeoff nose attitude? Aim for that. In a real aircraft the stick forces can be really high as you fight the trim until you can reset it. It can be a bit of a workout. Once you are feeling on top of the aircraft, get your undercarriage up, and settle into a climb. Before you know it you'll be back at pattern altitude to level off for your next attempt.

Flaps: Up once above 100 mph
    Elevator Trim: 1 Division Nose Down
    Undercarriage: Up (when able)
    Airspeed: Accelerating to at least 140 mph
    Rate of Climb: No descent, less than 1,000 feet per minute climb

Key Points

A stable pitch attitude is critical to each of these configurations, and the best way to see pitch is by referencing the horizon. No amount of precision with the other settings will be able to compensate for being lazy about pitch discipline.

Known configurations take the guesswork out of flying. No more hunting for the right settings or micromanaging the aircraft because it won't stay where you left it. It is a lot to learn on the front end, but it builds familiarity and it starts to take a lot less brain space. Don't expect that you will be able to attain this level of mastery over the whole multitude of CFS3 aircraft however - at least not all at once. I only have enough room in my brain to keep up a few real ones and a few CFS3 ones at a time.

Concluding Thoughts

Your first time through this exercise is simply a fact-finding mission. You aren't trying to nail everything perfectly, and there is a lot of focus on the various gauges while you dial in your settings just right. Once you have settings you can trust, your high attention to the position of needles can be reduced as you become familiar with what "right" looks and feels like on subsequent practice runs. You will get to know very specifically what "right" looks and feels like in the aircraft you've chosen to learn, and much of that is going to apply more broadly in other aircraft. In the real world, you will find pilots who are laser-focused on numbers and fly precisely, but mechanically. You will also find pilots who lack precision, but have a very intuitive feel for what the aircraft is doing. The above method is aimed at balancing the two. It is closely tied to precision and hard numbers. Providing a predictable, stable, and efficient means of reaching them allows your feel for the aircraft to be based on an objective standard rather than feel based on feel. The numbers pilots can learn to trust their feel, and the feel pilots can ensure that their basis for what feels right is solid.

Happy flying!

Very detailed, Dan . I assume for 2 engine night fighters and 4 engine bombers, the principle is the same. i will have to see what pilot notes there are for those. In CFS3, is the auto mixture and prop setting more or less accurate?

Yes, the same principles apply in the same way to any aircraft.

Start with knowing what phases of flight you want to use with that aircraft, and determine the controlling parameter(s) for each one. The controlling parameters for each phase of flight for the Spitfire Mk.VA are marked in bold above. If you have a original pilots notes/flight manuals available, you can find usually find the specific airspeeds called out there. Specific climb or descent rates are less commonly defined there and you just have to find something that seems reasonable.

Next you need to determine the correct engine power settings and other aircraft configuration parameters for that phase of flight. You can often get these from the pilot's notes as well. There may not be a power setting called out for every phase of flight, so just do your best to come up some reasonable settings to fill in the gaps based on what you do have. Landing gear and flap settings should be self explanatory if not called out explicitly. Any miscellaneous settings are usually on an as-needed basis.

Then you need to find the pitch attitude that produce the desired airspeed or climb/descent rate when the aircraft is in the specified configuration. Reference the position of the horizon relative to an easily definable feature of the cockpit framing (gunsights often make great points of reference.) Make sure you are stable when you pick this point and note it precisely.

Lastly, determine the trim setting required to hold that pitch when in that configuration. Other than the. SJ Spitfire and Fw 190, CFS3 aircraft don't have working trim indicators, and many real aircraft didn't have an easily usable indicator anyways. Usually there is just a setting specified for takeoff. So this step is optional. You can use the Z key readout and see your trim settings that way if you want to. I do like the Spitfire's indicator and find it incredibly useful in all phases of flight, and that is one of the main reasons I chose that aircraft for the tutorial.

The way to transition between configurations is going to be more or less the same on any aircraft.

So to sum up, to use this method with any aircraft you need to do the following steps in order:

1. Define your phases of flight.
    2. Determine the controlling parameters.
    3. Determine appropriate aircraft configurations.
    4. Find the pitch attitude that results in the controlling parameters being met in that configuration.
    5. Find the trim setting that holds the desired pitch attitude.
    Last edited by gecko; June 16th, 2023 at 02:11.

CFS3 Prop and Mixture Controls

The stock CFS3 mixture and prop controls are generic, and aren't too bad for simulating most aircraft, but there don't work exactly right for everything.

By default, most of our CFS3 aircraft do not have automatic mixture, which means mixture must be adjusted for altitude in order to produce the right fuel/air mixture in the engine. Since the air gets less dense as you get higher, you need to reduce the amount of fuel the engine is getting to keep the right balance. The vast majority of WWII had automatic mixture adjustment to reduce the pilot's workload. Setting the auto mixture setting in the realism settings will turn this on for all aircraft in CFS3, or you can turn it on for individual aircraft in that aircraft's aircraft.cfg. This gives generic auto mixture capability, but lacks an important feature that was present on the real aircraft. All of the actual aircraft had at least two auto mixture settings. One for high power (often called Auto-Rich or Auto-Normal) and an economy setting for lower power cruise (usually called Auto-Lean or Auto-Weak). In some aircraft this was set by the mixture lever, but in many there wasn't a mixture lever at all and the correct setting was automatically set based on the throttle setting. You can see this in the SJ Spitfires where the earlier Mk.Vs have a two position control, and the LF.Mk.Vs don't have a mixture control or have had it disabled. In CFS3 the stock auto mixture feature essentially only gives you the high power mixture setting.

The CFS3 propeller controls are a bit better for most aircraft. By the end of 1940, most WWII aircraft had a constant speed propeller similar to what most CFS3 aircraft had. You set a desired engine RPM using the propeller control in the cockpit and a governor system changed the propeller blade pitch continuously to maintain that RPM quite precisely.

The main exception is German aircraft (but may not bombers?), which often didn't have a propeller control lever. Instead, a predetermined ideal RPM was set automatically for a given boost pressure (manifold pressure). All the pilot had to do was set the desired boost pressure with the throttle and the RPM is set automatically. There was also a manual mode where the pilot could select a specific blade pitch (not RPM) manually. Some allied aircraft had the ability to set a pitch manually as well. Neither of these features is currently modeled in CFS3.

A slight difference in behavior you may notice is that most CFS3 aircraft can maintain max RPM at lower power settings and airspeeds than the SJ Spitfire, so you may not see the behavior I described in the landing phases until much closer to touchdown, if at all. Technically, most aircraft would have had similar behavior to what you see in the Spitfire in this respect.

How to Fly (Better) Entry #6 - Stalls

Stalls

Before we move into takeoffs and landings, I want to briefly cover stalls. One of the main cautions in the landing phases of flight is avoiding stalls, and in fact, the speeds chosen for approach and landing are based on that particular aircraft's stall speed.

A stall refers to an aerodynamic condition where the wing is no longer producing lift, or is producing very little lift. I'm pretty sure everyone here is aware, but just to be clear, when we are talking about stalls in relation to aircraft, we are talking about the wing, not the engine. We are just going to cover basic, 1 G stalls this time to keep it manageable. At some later point we can get into accelerated stalls and spins, but for this one we're just introducing the basics.

I will go into aerodynamics a little bit, since I think it helps you to be able to visualize the effect of your maneuvers on inducing a stall. A common misconception is that a stall always occurs at a certain airspeed on a particular aircraft, known as the stall speed of that aircraft. It is true that we reference a stall speed for each aircraft we fly and it is one of the most important numbers to have memorized when you fly. However, this airspeed is only valid when the aircraft is experiencing one G. If you are pulling more than one G, the aircraft will stall at a higher airspeed. If you are at less than one G, the aircraft will stall at a lower airspeed. Keep this in mind, because it is critical to understanding how to avoid and recover from stalls.

Instead of a specific airspeed that the wing always stalls at, there is a specific angle of attack, which, if exceeded, will always result in a stall. Angle of attack (AoA) is the angle formed between the chord line (the imaginary straight line between the leading edge and trailing edge of the wing) and the relative wind (the direction from which the oncoming air stream is hitting the wing). As you pitch up, AoA increases, which increases your lift. This is one of the things that causes you to climb when you pitch up. However, you can only increase AoA so much and continue to increase lift. As AoA increases, the relative wind is hitting the underside of the wing more and more. Eventually, it is hitting it at such an angle that the airflow over the top side of the wing becomes disrupted, which spoils the lift the wing is producing. We call the angle at which this occurs the Critical Angle of Attack, and the resulting loss if lift is called a stall. There is a lot of information on this readily available elsewhere if you want to go into more detail. This site lays it out pretty well, and even if you don't want to read everything, the diagrams will be helpful to take a look at: https://www.mpoweruk.com/flight_theory.htm

Hopefully that provides a helpful mental picture of the airflow around your wing. Going forward, keep that mental picture in mind, along with the following:

1. The stall occurs at the critical AoA.
    2. To get out of a stall, all you have to do is reduce your AoA to anything less than critical AoA.
    3. The only time the aircraft will stall at its published stall speed is when it exceeds its critical AoA at exactly one G.

So practically, how are we going to use this information? We don't have a published critical AoA, and we have no way to reference it if we did. Understanding AoA is critical to stall awareness, avoidance, and recovery, even if we can't see it on a gauge.

Awareness

Prevention is better than the cure, so let's look at how to stay out of this situation in the first place. We'll do this mainly by noting some situations where our AoA margin above critical AoA is going to be thin.

1. Low airspeed: When you are flying slow, your angle of attack will be higher. If for example, you are flying at low power and trying to climb or maintain altitude, you will have to pull back more and more to increase your AoA to maintain lift. But when you hit that critical AoA, the lift is gone and you stall. Low power, a high pitch attitude, and deceleration all exacerbate this condition.

2. Higher G loads: Just about any time you are pulling back on the stick, you are increasing your G load and AoA. This can happen at any speed.

3. Go-arounds: Here you are at slow airspeed, and the maneuver involves pulling up - both of these increase your AoA. You are also going from low power to high power, which can really mess with your rudder coordination, which can lead to a spin. Added to all of this is the fact that if you trimmed your elevator properly for final approach, your elevator trim is at, or nearly at, the full nose up position. When you apply power, your aircraft will automatically begin climbing, possibly quite sharply. If not anticipated and corrected for, this can lead to a stall very quickly and at an altitude too low to safely recover. With real life control forces acting on the flight controls, you have to get pretty physical with some aircraft, fighting the nose up trim until you can get it reduced. Thankfully, the limitations of our sim controls mean we don't have to deal with this here. If you have a force feedback stick though, you might get a bit of a feel for how that adds to a very busy few moments of flight. At any rate it's worth your virtual life to understand and anticipate all of the factors in play during a go-around that can lead to a stall.

Recognition

If you do find yourself approaching a stall, here are some signs you may be approaching, or in, a stall.

Air buffeting: As AoA approaches critical, the airflow over the wing is increasingly disturbed, and you can hear it. CFS3 models this rather nicely. In one STOL aircraft I spent a lot of time in, we flew STOL approaches based on the specific whistling sound audible in the cockpit at high angles of attack. It wasn't on the verge of a stall, but it was the very first warning sign and told us we were getting the slowest approach speed possible with a reasonable safety margin above the stall. I simply adjusted my pitch attitude until I got the right sound and flew that attitude to the ground.

Sloppy or unresponsive controls: As you approach the stall, your controls will feel increasingly mushy and ineffective, especially your ailerons.

Shaking: Many aircraft will experience some shuddering on the ragged edge of the stall. The Spitfire, for example, was known for warning it's pilots with a shudder before the stall which could be both felt and heard in the cockpit. I have modeled this behavior in the SJ Spitfires.

Nose drop: The definitive indication that you are no longer approaching a stall but are now in one, is a marked drop in the pitch attitude in spite of pulling back on the stick. On some aircraft this will be accompanied by a wing drop.

All of these characteristics will vary from aircraft to aircraft. Some are quite forgiving, others are rather nasty. The Me 163 technically doesn't stall at all and simply mushes forward. The Macchi C.200 has a wicked wing drop, and if it develops into a spin, isn't recoverable no matter how much altitude you have. Know your airplane.

Recovery

So you're in a stall. Now what? The following is the basic technique for recovering from a stall: Push, Power, Rudder, Roll, Recover.

Push: This is the most critical step. Push the stick forward firmly. This will reduce angle of attack back below critical AoA. This is known as breaking the stall. Hold this until smooth airflow is restored over the wing. Depending on how deeply stalled you are, this may require a longer or harder push. The important thing is to not cut this short. If you don't fully break the stall, you can induce a worse secondary stall as you try to recover. If you are inverted, you still push - don't pull! AoA only cares about chord line and the relative wind. Your attitude relative to the ground is irrelevant.

Power: Apply full power. No need to slam the throttle, but don't be lazy about it either. You can start increasing power while you are still pushing to break the stall. Remember - make sure your prop and mixture are set for full power first (if applicable to your aircraft) or you might add engine trouble to your scenario.

Rudder: Keep the ball centered (known as flying coordinated) with your rudder pedals. Uncoordinated flight will cause one wing to have a higher angle of attack than the other. If you get one wing below critical AoA, but not the other, you will have a spin on your hands.

Roll: Once the stall is broken, you have full power, and you are flying coordinated, you can counter any wing drop or rolling that occurred during the stall. It is important to wait until all of that is accomplished, before applying any aileron inputs other than neutral. This is because just like flying uncoordinated, ailerons cause your wings to have different angles of attack, and you don't want to spin.

Recover: You have broken the stall, you have applied power, you are flying coordinated, and the wings are level. With the stall combined with all of that pushing, you are probably in a nose low attitude, so now it is time to stop accelerating towards the ground, and get your nose attitude back up where it belongs. It is important not to do this too suddenly, since you are once again increasing AoA. A sudden jerk back on the stick can put you right back into a stall. Be smooth. In fighters with high speed and G limits, a lot of acceleration isn't necessarily a bad thing, but in other aircraft not built for that kind of abuse, you need to make sure you are doing this in a timely manner so as not to overstress the aircraft as you pull back to a normal flight attitude. As you enter a level flight attitude or a climb, confirm with your vertical speed indicator that you aren't still descending. Now you can start reconfiguring your aircraft back to the appropriate settings for whatever you were trying to do before the stall.

Note that all of this can happen very quickly. Only a second or two with practice. If you have altitude, you have time, but if the trees and houses are looking big, every millisecond counts. With practice you will get a feel for just how fast you can be without inducing a secondary stall.

Practice

Let's take a plane out and practice stalls with it. For consistency, I will use the SJ Spitfire Mk.VA again. You can follow along in that aircraft or pick a different one. We are going to do some things to demonstrate stall behavior, you can practice the Push, Power, Rudder, Roll, Recover method, and we will note the 1 G stall speeds with flaps up and with flaps down. If you are using a different aircraft and don't know what a good landing approach speed is, we will go over how to calculate one based on your stall speed.

So, let's set up in the landing pattern configuration, but with plenty of altitude, let's say 5,000ft. Since we want to be ready for a stall recovery, make sure the mixture is set to Auto Normal and the propeller lever is fully forward. Start a gentle climb and pull the throttle to idle. As you decelerate the nose will want to drop. Hold the nose up, and watch for the warning signs of an impending stall. Keep an eye on the slip indicator and keep the top needle centered (or keep the ball centered if you're not flying a British aircraft) to maintain rudder coordination. Right as the nose drops into the stall, note and record the airspeed reading. This is your flaps up 1 G stall speed. Now initiate the recovery procedure outlined above.

Starting Configuration:
    Propeller: RPM lever fully forward

Now set up the same way for another stall. As before, keep coordinated on the rudder. This time, at the first warning sign of the stall, pull sharply back on the stick. This will cause a rapid momentary increase in AoA, and induce a stall early. Note that the airspeed at this stall was higher than the 1 G stall speed you recorded earlier. This is just to demonstrate how the stall is directly dependent upon AoA and not airspeed. Initiate the stall recovery procedure.

For our last stall, we are going to set up in the full landing configuration with flaps and undercarriage down and in a descent. Once stabilized, bring the pitch up so the nose is a little above the horizon and hold it steady until you see the nose drop and you stall. Remember rudder coordination as always. Record the airspeed reading at the moment the nose dropped. This is your flaps down 1 G stall speed. This time, perform the stall recovery and then go straight into the go-around transition.

Approach Configuration:

Go-Around Configuration:
    Flaps: Up once above 100 mph
    Elevator Trim: 1 Division Nose Down
    Undercarriage: Up (when able)
    Airspeed: Accelerating to at least 140 mph
    Rate of Climb: No descent, less than 1,000 feet per minute climb

Stall Speeds and Approach Speeds

I have repeatedly mentioned how angle of attack determines when an airplane stalls, and not an airspeed, so now we need to talk about the usefulness of stall speeds. The stall speed, being more accurately called the 1 G stall speed, is very important to keep in mind, particularly during the takeoff, initial climb, and approach and landing phases of flight. These phases all occur at 1 G, when we are low and slow, or in other words, when we are the most susceptible to stall with the least opportunity to recover. Note how we recorded two stall speeds for the Spitfire. One with flaps up, and one with them down. On aircraft with intermediate flap settings, there is a corresponding stall speed for each. It is important to know what they are for your aircraft so you can make sure to give yourself an adequate margin of airspeed to stay safe in these phases of flight. Thus, you also want to be aware of, and be disciplined about holding, the correct climb and approach speeds. While climb airspeeds are determined by a variety of factors, approach and landing speeds are based directly on the stall speed of the aircraft. A margin of 1.3 times the stall speed is generally what is used. This gives you margin in case you encounter a gust of wind, turbulence, or get momentarily distracted, and drift slower than your intended airspeed. If you look at the manual included in the SJ Spitfire Mk.V, you will find a flaps up stall speed of 73, and a flaps down stall speed of 65. These correspond to the flaps up and flaps down approach speeds of 85 and 95, respectively. In both cases the approach speeds are very close to 1.3 times the corresponding stall speed. So if you are wanting to find a good approach speed for an aircraft but don't have a manual for it, you can simply find the stall speeds for that aircraft in each flap setting, and multiply them by 1.3 to get good, safe approach speeds.

Most CFS3 aircraft have data on the various stages of flight in the 'help' folder, although I must confess that I, probably along with most, don't read and pay attention to that before flying. I should do so! I think that I might take out those files to another place for easier access on another monitor or to print out. These were mostly done by AvHistory and I assume apply to their aircraft models, even though ETO and TOW aircraft keep the same. How thay compare with reality is something I have yet to check.

Since most of those help files are from Avhistory, I assume the numbers are pretty accurate.

As a minimum for somebody wanting to fly in a more realistic way, I'd say knowing and sticking to approach speeds is a must. There is of course much more you can do, such as the rest of the stuff in this thread, but if all you want to do is get your toes wet, this is the best place to start.

Cool How to Fly (Better) Entry #7 - Cockpit Flows, Checklists, an

Flows

Flows are a spatially-oriented method of accomplishing checklist items by memory. How you do it will vary from aircraft to aircraft, but the idea is to pass over all the cockpit controls in a methodical pattern, and moving them as required for the checklist or configuration change you are performing.

This works very naturally in aircraft with clickable cockpits, especially if you are using head tracking. In the Spitfire, for example, I like to start on the left side of the seat, up to the throttle quadrant, across the lower part of the instrument panel, and back around the right side of the seat. Lastly, I go back across the top of the panel from right to left.
    It is not quite so natural without a clickable cockpit, but still possible. In this case, you just move your flow to your physical controller(s).

Checklists

Checklists are at least partly anachronistic for most of our WWII aircraft. At the time, aircraft were considered simple enough to operate that checklists were not needed. In fact, the B-17 was the first aircraft to have a checklist, which was developed following an early accident caused by a control lock being left in place during takeoff. I'm not sure how widely used they had become by the end of WWII, but today, everything has a checklist. I believe pilots of most WWII aircraft would have relied on flows, memorization, and simple acronyms. Examples of such acronyms can be found in the pilot's notes for the Spitfire Mk.II and Mk.V.

Whether you choose to use a checklist, an acronym you came up with or found in a manual, or simply rely on memory, you should mainly use it as a backup to your flow. Work through your flow, then use your checklist or acronym to confirm you did everything. What you don't want to do is read off an item, do that item, and move on to the next one. This is inefficient, and puts your focus on the checklist rather than flying. Do the whole flow, and then the whole checklist.

Scans

A similar concept to flows, scans help you keep track of how you aircraft is doing, and what it is doing. The horizon is the centerpiece of your scan. After every other gauge you check, you return to check the horizon before the next check. Remember that in visual conditions, you are using the real horizon - not the artificial horizon on the instrument panel. Save that for when you're in the clouds.
    We will divide the gauges into flight instruments, and systems gauges. Generally speaking, the flight instruments should be getting the most regular attention. They typically consist of the standard "six-pack" - artificial horizon, altimeter, directional gyro (DG), airspeed indicator (ASI), vertical speed indicator (VSI), and turn coordinator (TC). The first three tell you how you are oriented relative to the earth. The second three tell you the rate at which that orientation is changing. In different phases of flight, different instruments will become more important than others. In addition to the horizon, the other always important indicator is the ball, or the top arrow of the British-style turn and slip indicator. The other instruments vary in importance depending on what you are doing. Note that not all WWII aircraft are equipped with the full six-pack.
    The systems gauges give you information about how your aircraft is doing. Typically, these consist of various engine gauges, and then gauges for the various other supporting systems that keep your aircraft running. What gauges you may have varies greatly from aircraft to aircraft. They get less frequent attention than the flight instruments, but are still important to keep regular track of. Except as noted below, every few minutes is fine for a quick checkup on these gauges as well as after any change in engine power settings.

In flight, going back to our configurations, I highlighted the key parameters for each phase of flight. This should give you a clue as to which instruments and gauges are prioritized (in addition to the horizon and the ball, which are always key) in each phase of flight.

Takeoff

At takeoff, airspeed gets the most attention. You may have airspeeds you are looking to attain before rotation and flap retraction, you probably have a target airspeed for climb, and you are keenly aware of keeping well above your 1 G stall speed. After takeoff, usually you will fly on the same heading as the runway to took off from initially, so your DG also needs some attention.

Initial Climb / Combat Climb

In the initial climb, or when conducting a max performance combat climb, you will have an airspeed you are targeting to achieve the maximum sustained climb rate, so the airspeed indicator retains its importance. There is a heading you are going to be trying to hold to stay on course, so your DG also retains its importance. You also probably have a specific altitude you are climbing to, so keep the altimeter in your scan to keep track of your progress towards that altitude. Increase the frequency of your altimeter checks as you get within 1,000ft of your target altitude. Engine gauges are an important check early in the climb to ensure your engine is performing as expected. Since you will be at high power and low airspeed, engine temperatures will be high, and will need regular checks. Keep somewhat increased monitoring of all engine gauges, as changes in air temperature and density as you climb may require adjustments to engine power settings to maintain optimum power output.

Cruise Climb

Here, everything is the same as the combat climb, except you are now targeting a rate of climb rather than an airspeed. As a result, your airspeed indicator drops out of primary importance and is replaced by your VSI. Note that the VSI has some inherent lag to it, so setting a known good pitch and holding it, then confirming that your VSI shows the desired climb rate is much preferable to "chasing the VSI."

Cruise

Having reached your target altitude, your focus now shifts to maintaining that altitude and holding your desired heading. You could do this by focusing on your altimeter and DG, but you will notice changes faster on your VSI and TC. Holding your heading and pitch by keeping your eyes outside is better still, which is why all other gauges remain subordinate to the horizon. After that, VSI and TC can help if you need to make adjustments. If you keep up with that, your altimeter and DG will take care of themselves and won't need inordinate focus. Don't forget about your fuel quantity gauge!

Descent

Descent is essentially the same as climb in terms of which instruments are prioritized. The consequences of neglecting engine gauges changes from possibly not maintaining full power in the climb, to possibly destroying your engine due to overboosting or overheating as you descend. Also, depending on your aircraft's limitations and how fast you are descending, you may need to keep an eye on your airspeed to ensure you don't exceed the never exceed airspeed.

Landing Pattern and Initial Approach

The landing pattern gets very busy for a pilot, because suddenly, everything is important! Airspeed, altitude, and heading control are all key to positioning yourself well for the final approach. Airspeed, altimeter, and DG all rise to the top here. Engine temperatures will also be changing so they will need a little extra monitoring. As all of this is going on, don't let the instruments suck your attention away from the horizon and keeping good awareness of your position relative to the runway.

Final Approach

If you have done a good job getting set up for it, the final approach should be a relatively lower workload compared to the previous section of the landing phase. You are lining up with the runway and your eyes should be focused there, with quick references to airspeed and VSI. Having a good landing approach power setting and pitch attitude will significantly reduce your need to look at instruments inside the cockpit, but shouldn't eliminate it entirely.

What about combat?

All of this is well and good for a nice peaceful sky, but what about in the thick of a dogfight? There, admittedly, your scan goes to pieces as your main concern is keeping the enemy in sight. If you look at your gauges at all, airspeed and engine temps are the most relevant. Airspeed, so you know when to break off a turn fight to regain energy, and engine temps because you are working your engine hard and sometimes get quite slow, which will cause temperatures to soar.

Blog Entries
    Thanks you all for the information. Really has made a difference ,not only CFS3 ,but in all my air combat sims. Many thanks ! Regards,Scott

Glad to hear that Scott! I'm particularly glad it's being helpful across a variety of sims. To me that says it's working as intended. Thanks for the feedback.

How to Fly (Better) Entry #8 - Takeoff and Landing

In this post we are going to cover the last main phases of flight we haven’t dealt with yet - takeoff and landing.

Airfield Awareness

Before you do anything else, it is very important to know your runway heading and elevation. In the real world, this information is published and you review it prior to flight. In CFS3 we don't have that information readily available, so when you start on the runway, you will need to make note of those two things. The altitudes and headings you fly in the airfield's traffic pattern are based on the runway.

In CFS3, these things are greatly simplified, and not subject to magnetic deviation, variation, turning errors, gyro precession, or temperature and barometric pressure variations. So your compass will read relative to true north, and your altimeter will read true altitude above mean sea level (MSL). Note that the altitudes I will give in this section are relative to the airport elevation - altitude above ground level (AGL). You will need to add the airport elevation to them to get the correct altimeter reading.

The Traffic Pattern

The next thing is to get a mental picture in your head of the traffic pattern at your airfield. Typically, this is a rectangular path to either the right or left of the runway, with the runway forming part of one of long sides of the rectangle.

The side including the runway is called the upwind leg, and is comprised of the final approach, runway, and climb-out portions of the pattern. After takeoff, consider climbing to and leveling off at 1,000ft AGL before turning onto the next leg of the pattern. This will give you more time to get set up and stabilized. With more practice you can fly shorter upwind legs. After the upwind leg, there is a 90 degree turn to get onto the crosswind leg. After this comes the downwind leg, which should be flown at traffic pattern altitude. For our purposes we will use 1,000ft AGL. You are now flying in the opposite direction as you took off, with a good view of the runway. Flying a pattern at 1,000ft AGL, the runway should be about 1 mile away off your wing. It is hard to eyeball distances in CFS3, but consider the distance between the runway and the airfield boundary, and double it, and that will get you reasonably close. If you are flying a higher pattern, this distance will need to be increased. If you are flying lower, you will need to fly closer to the runway. As you pass by the point on the runway you intend to touch down at, you begin your descent, which continues steadily until touchdown. When your touchdown point is about 45 degrees behind you, it is time to turn onto the base leg. In our pattern you are trying to manage your descent rate such that when you complete your next turn to align with the runway, you are at about 500ft AGL. Completing this turn, you are now on final approach, continuing your steady descent to the runway.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic Landing Pattern.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	91664

That is the overview of what we are going to try to fly in this next flight. You can fly that pattern repeatedly until you get the hang of it. Remember your configurations and be prompt in changing between them. As before, I’m going to use the Spitfire Mk.VA for the example. Feel free to use a different aircraft if you like. If the aircraft you choose has a much higher landing speed, or is a bomber than needs to make wide turns, you may need to increase the altitude of and size of your pattern, but everything else will still apply. Now for the details.

Takeoff

Takeoff in most aircraft is reasonably straightforward, but when it comes our WWII fighter aircraft with loads of excess horsepower, it can become a bit of a balancing act. The Bf 109, for example, is infamous for punishing careless pilots, but all of them need to be treated with respect. The biggest thing you are dealing with is engine torque. Your engine is producing a lot of power, and your airspeed is low enough that your control surfaces are struggling to be able to counteract it. Initially you will see this as a tendency for the aircraft to veer off the runway to one side or the other. As you gain speed, you may also feel a tendency for the aircraft to roll to the same side. The direction is dependent on which way the propeller turns. On the Spitfire, the tendency will be for it to veer left. Some multi-engine aircraft, such as the P-38, have propellers rotating in opposite directions, which cancels the effect out very nicely. The trick is to slowly increase engine power in proportion to your acceleration. As you pick up speed, your controls will become more and more effective, allowing them to counteract more torque, which allows you to gradually increase power. On early war fighters and most larger aircraft, you can use full power for takeoff. Late war aircraft engines can produce a ridiculous amount of power at takeoff, and this, in combination with the small, light airframe of a fighter, meant that on many of them only a partial power takeoff was authorized. Our Spitfire Mk.VA is fine for a full power takeoff. A Mk.XIV is definitely not.

In the Spitfire, and most aircraft, it is helpful to set the trim for takeoff. In the Spitfire, the elevator trim indicator should show one division nose down trim, and rudder trim should be fully to the right. Release the brakes before starting to increase throttle for takeoff. Gently and gradually ease the throttle forward and use your rudder to keep the aircraft rolling straight down the runway. Elevator should be neutral, and use the rudder as needed. Use your left or right brake if needed to keep it straight, but take that as a sign that you added too much power to soon, and wait until you have accelerated more before adding more power to allow your rudder effectiveness to catch up. A quick scan of your engine gauges early in the takeoff roll is a good practice to help you catch any faults or if you forgot to set your engine controls correctly. As you pick up speed, the tail will lift (assuming you are flying a tail wheel aircraft) and shortly thereafter the aircraft will gently leave the ground. If you have trimmed the elevator correctly, there should be little to no need to pull the aircraft off the ground. Once you are fully clear of the runway and gaining altitude and airspeed, you can retract the undercarriage. Don’t slap the gear lever up immediately after liftoff. A gentle bounce before the aircraft is completely ready to fly is not uncommon, and if your undercarriage is being retracted, you could easily end up skidding down the runway on your belly. Your C.O will be thrilled.

For easy reference - the takeoff configuration:

Elevator Trim: 1 Division Nose Down on the elevator trim indicator
    Undercarriage: Up (shortly after liftoff)
    Airspeed: Rapidly accelerating to at least 140 mph
    Rate of Climb: Less than 1,000 feet per minute

Initial Climb

Once airborne and with the wheels retracting, the next priority is to get stabilized in your climb. Adjust trim as needed, and if you are flying an aircraft which uses flaps on takeoff, once you have accelerated to a safe speed in your climb, you can retract them. Keep in mind that in a WWII fighter it isn't going to take long at all to reach 1,000ft. Consider reducing climb power significantly early on to give yourself more time. With the Spitfire, a climb-out speed of 120 m.p.h. is appropriate since you are only climbing to 1,000ft and you are immediately transitioning to a landing pattern configuration at 140 m.p.h. For climb power in this situation, you might throttle back to only +2 lbs of boost. This still gives you a nice climb rate at 120 m.p.h. but isn't overpowered and gives you adequate time before you have to level off to make sure everything is in order. You will notice that +2 lbs of boost at 120 m.p.h. is not enough to keep your engine speed at 3,000 r.p.m. even with the propeller lever fully forward. This is fine, and since you will be at lower speeds and power settings for the whole exercise other than your takeoff run, you can just leave the lever fully forward the whole time. Some aircraft, including later versions of the SJ Spitfire Mk.V series may still need to pull the propeller lever back to keep r.p.m. reasonable. 3,000 r.p.m. isn't reasonable most of the time, much less in the landing pattern.

A reduced-power climb configuration for the Spitfire Mk.VA:

Propeller: ~2,350 RPM (lever fully forward)
    Elevator Trim: ~2 1/2 Divisions Nose Up
    Pitch: Lower front corner of windscreen quarter windows level with the horizon
    Airspeed: 120 mph
    Expected Rate of Climb: ~1,100 feet per minute
    Expected Radiator Temperature: ~80 C

During the climb, it is still important to keep track of your landing pattern and fly it. At first, you may not want to make your first turn onto the crosswind leg until you level off at 1,000ft. This will give you a longer downwind leg and thus more time to get yourself configured and stable. With more practice, you can make your first turn well below 1,000ft and continue your climb in the crosswind leg.

Downwind Leg

The downwind leg is what sets you up for a good stable approach. It is simple math that if you are consistently carrying out you descent at a consistent airspeed and engine power setting from a specific point in space relative to the runway, that you will have consistent landing approaches. To that end, we want to fly our downwind leg such that we arrive at a speed of 140 m.p.h. at a point 1,000ft above the ground, 1 mile from the runway centerline, even with the point on the runway where we intend to touch down.

Landing pattern configuration to be used on the downwind leg:

Propeller: ~2,100 RPM

Descent

We are going to cover two ways to fly the remainder of the pattern. First, the standard way, and then in a way that is more appropriate for the Spitfire and similar aircraft. After you try the standard way, you will understand why.

When we arrive at the above described position, smoothly, but promptly, reduce power to -6 lbs, and extend the undercarriage. Maintain pitch to keep an airspeed of 95 m.p.h. and about a 1,000ft per minute descent. All of this is according to the standard configuration discussed in a previous post. Since we are at 1,000ft and descending at 1,000 feet per minute, touchdown will occur in about one minute. Some people find that thought helpful to gauge their progress. Feel free to take it or leave it. Looking over your shoulder at the runway, when you see your touchdown point about 45 degrees behind you, make your turn onto the base leg. As you turn, make sure you are looking forward and maintaining a steady pitch attitude. You may need to add 1 lb of boost during the turn in order to maintain the desired airspeed and descent rate. Remember to take it back out once you are wings level on the base leg.

Initial landing approach configuration:

Propeller: ~1,600 RPM (lever fully forward in case of go-around)
    Throttle: -6 lbs (-5lbs for 30 degree bank turn)
    Airspeed: 95 mph
    Expected Radiator Temperature: ~77 C

Continue your descent through the base leg and keep an eye on the runway to judge when to make your final turn to line up on the runway centerline. Ideally, you are about one mile out from your touchdown point at about 500 feet AGL. At this point, I lower my flaps, and increase power to -4 lbs boost to compensate for the added drag. I'm continuing my 1,000 fpm descent rate, but have now slowed to 85 m.p.h. The final approach is conducted with rigid airspeed and glide slope discipline, with reference to your vertical speed indicator to monitor descent rate. Glide slope is the physical angle of descent you fly down final approach to your touchdown spot. Assuming you start your final approach about one mile out at 500ft AGL, your glide slope will be about right. The easiest way to monitor that is by looking at the runway, and noting the spot that stays motionless in your windshield. Points on the runway that appear to move higher in the windshield as you approach, you will land short of. Those that appear to move lower, you will land beyond. So find your intended touchdown spot on the runway, and be as precise as you can about it. Aim small, miss small - if you are just trying to land somewhere on the runway, you have a decent chance of over or undershooting. If you can pick out a dark spot or a tire skid mark in the part of the runway you intend to touch down at, your accuracy will be better. If your intended spot appears to move up in your windshield, the correct response is to add a little more power. If you remember from the very early sections, this will reduce your rate of descent, meanwhile, you maintain your approach airspeed of 85 m.p.h. by using your elevator. When your touchdown spot is motionless in your windshield, reduce power back to the former setting to reestablish the desired descent rate. If you find your touchdown spot is moving lower in the windshield, you reduce power slightly to make the correction. In all cases, use elevator to maintain airspeed strictly. Your primary focus the entire time should be on your pitch attitude and your touchdown point, with quick glances inside at airspeed and descent rate. Small corrections are much better than big ones. If you see a need to correct your glide slope, try a small power adjustment and wait to see if it was enough, and continue with further small adjustments if needed.

Final landing approach configuration:

Now, as soon as you try this in the Spitfire, you will notice it doesn't work very well. That low approach speed results in a fairly high nose attitude, and that big V-12 up front is blocking your view of most of the runway. You find yourself looking to the left and right of the nose to see what point next to the runway isn't moving up or down. This is not ideal, and so Spitfire pilots, as well as those of many similar aircraft, took to flying curved final approaches. When passing the touchdown point on the downwind leg, instead of starting a descent and continuing to fly a rectangular landing pattern, initiate a continuous descending 180 degree turn. This will keep the runway in view until just before touchdown, allowing you to better judge your glide slope. As you first try it, a more elongated 180 degree turn and a somewhat longer period flying wings level in final might be easier. With experience you can cut it closer. Spitfire pilots were known to compete to see just how close before touchdown they could complete their turn to line up with the runway. You will probably need to adjust your approach power settings up by about 1 lb of boost to keep the desired descent rate and airspeed. Your touchdown point may be a bit harder to judge since it will be moving horizontally the entire time, but at least you can see it! It should not move vertically throughout the turn, and the correction principles remain the same. Now for aerodynamic reasons that we really haven’t gotten into properly, your margin above the critical angle of attack for a stall is a lot less in this continuous turn to the runway. So pay careful attention to your rudder coordination, airspeed, and how hard you are pulling back on the stick, or you could easily stall and spin,

I want to point out the consequences and hazards of not maintaining good discipline with your airspeed, descent rate, and glide slope. If you have been having trouble landing, chances are your problem falls into one of these four categories.

Descent rate too low: This scenario is known as dragging it in. Too low of a descent rate means too shallow of a glide slope angle. This means you may be barely clearing (or colliding with) obstacles like trees and buildings on your approach path. It is also very easy in this scenario to lose track of your airspeed since you are busy dodging trees, and get too slow, leading to a stall at far too low of an altitude to recover.

Descent rate too high: here, you are simply hurtling earthward too fast to make a controlled landing. If you are holding your correct airspeed or are too slow, you will not have the elevator authority or forward momentum necessary to dissipate all that downward momentum before you smash into the runway, causing significant or catastrophic damage to your aircraft. If your airspeed is too fast, you will probably over-control the aircraft, which will put you in a very unstable place, mere feet above the runway. You might get it settled out and a nice touch down in time to stop before the end of the runway - or you might not. It's a much better decision to go around and try again.

Airspeed too low: At too low of an airspeed, you are seriously eroding your margin above stall, which is not where you want to be when you are close to the ground. A stall at this height will kill you. The other hazard even if you don't stall, is inducing too high of a descent rate. In flight this can give the sensation of the floor dropping out from under you, and in the sim you can get this sensation visually. Your first response in this situation is to put the nose down to gain speed (remember that is faster than increasing engine power) and increasing power to try to stop descending so fast. It will probably feel wrong to push your nose down aggressively so close to the ground, but it is the only chance you have. Trouble is, you might be too low and not have enough room to work with before you slam into the ground, which is what makes getting too slow on approach so dangerous.

Airspeed too high: in this scenario you are simply carrying too much energy into your landing to actually touch down, and if you try to force it to work, you are going to break something. If you try to hold a proper glide slope, your descent rate will be too high. If you try to hold a proper descent rate, your glide slope will be too shallow. When it comes to trying to land gently on the runway, you are going to float and float and float before your wheels touch and you may end up in the weeds off the far end. If you actually do get wheels rolling on the runway at high speed, it is very easy to lose control while trying to hold it onto the ground because the plane is still trying to fly.

Small deviations from these parameters are not cause for panic. They are cause for prompt and measured correction. Remember: pitch for airspeed, power for descent rate and glide slope.

Touchdown

Alright, we are now moments from returning to earth in some fashion or other, and we would really like to be able to use the plane again afterward. So how do we make that happen? If everything has gone according to plan, we are at 85 m.p.h. and have a 1,000 fpm descent rate. Both are a little too much for when the wheels actually hit the ground, so we need to dissipate that excess energy. When it comes right down to it, this is a matter of feel and timing that only comes with repeated experience. I will try to lay out the general idea though.

Typically somewhere between 100 and 50 feet above the runway (judged by eyeballing - this is the wrong time to look at your altimeter) you are going to gradually transition from your final approach attitude to a three-point landing attitude. This is of course assuming you are in a tail wheel aircraft. If you are in a tricycle gear aircraft, you still want to land with your nose high, so the main wheels will touch first, followed by the nose wheel. Three-point landings in a tricycle gear aircraft are to be avoided. As you are pulling back on the stick to bring the nose up, you are gradually reducing the throttle back to idle as the aircraft descends the last few feet to the runway. If you have been holding a good airspeed, you will have just the right amount of elevator authority where the aircraft will still respond nicely, but you would have to be pretty aggressive to over-control it. Ideally, you reach a three-point landing attitude at the same time that your throttle hits the idle stop, a few inches above the runway. Then you simply hold it off the runway as long as you can without gaining any altitude. As your airspeed slows, it will require you to pull farther and farther back on the stick to keep it in the air. Before long, your speed will bleed off and the aircraft will gently settle onto the runway. If you're good, and having a good day, you might not even feel it hit. If you are not having so great a day, you might have mistimed things somewhat, so let's talk about what to do if that happens.

Transitioned too early: if you find yourself with throttle at idle and in that nice three-point landing attitude, but instead if inches above the runway, you find yourself hanging several feet or more above the surface, you have either started your transition too early or completed it too quickly. The airplane is soon going to stop flying, but instead of settling gently onto the runway from a few inches up, you are going to be hitting pretty hard; possibly hard enough to collapse your landing gear or cause other damage. The solution is to add a little power, hold altitude so you can accelerate slightly, then once again allow yourself to descend while transitioning back to a landing attitude and bringing the throttle back to idle. If the end of the runway is rushing up to meet you, or it just doesn't feel right, just perform a go-around and try the landing again.

Transitioned too late: transitioning too late or too slowly will be evidenced by a firmer than intended landing, probably accompanied by a bounce back into the air. If it's a small bounce, you can probably just ride it by out keeping the stick back and the throttle at idle. If it's a bigger bounce and you find yourself hanging several feet in the air, you are now in a position similar to where you would be if you transitioned too early, and you can take the same actions to try to re-transition. If it's a terrible bounce, just go around.

I hope you can see how the different building blocks we have talked about throughout this series come together to give us a good outcome here. Starting the descent from a known point relative to the runway and using standard configurations to achieve a specific descent rate and airspeed will put us on a good glide slope to the runway. As we descend, we are using pitch and power appropriately to make small corrections as needed. This puts us into solid position arrest our descent, and lightly touch down on the runway in a stable, controlled, predictable, and repeatable maneuver. It will still require practice to get right, but setting yourself up well for success with a good, stable approach makes it so much easier and safer.

Rollout

Congratulations, you're on the ground now, but don't relax - you aren't done yet! Any good pilot will tell you that you aren't done flying until the aircraft is shut down and the wheel chocks are in place. Up until that point you can still get yourself into to trouble. In few places is that more true than sitting in the cockpit of a WWII fighter. Right now, priority number one is to not go off the side of the runway, and priority two is to get stopped before running off the end of it. If they aren't already, make sure the throttle is at idle and the control stick is pulled fully back. With the Spitfire, it is important to retract the landing flaps quickly to prevent engine overheating. This also reduces the lift your wing is producing. This puts more weight on your wheels, which improves braking action. Now gradually start applying brakes. As you slow down, you can increase brake pressure. If you brake too hard at too high of an airspeed, you can easily put the aircraft on its nose. Throughout this process you are actively keeping the aircraft going straight down the runway by using your rudders. At times it may feel like you are dancing on the rudder pedals as you make lots of corrections back and forth. The rudder can be a handful all the way until you are stopped.

Remember that if at any point in your final approach, landing, or rollout, things are not coming together as they should be, you make a mistake, or it just doesn't feel right, abandon the landing attempt and go around. As long as there is fuel in your tanks and sufficient runway ahead of you, you can always go-around. Pilots can get themselves into a lot of trouble trying to salvage an approach or landing that is going poorly. Sacrifice your pride and save the airplane, not the landing.

A quick tip (and shameless plug) when landing the SJ Spitfires is to listen to the sounds, particularly with the canopy open. I have tried to be very careful as I designed the wind and engine sounds (including handling wind sounds with entirely new code) to have them respond to the environment realistically. Once you get a few good approaches and landings under your belt, you will start to recognize what sounds right. If something isn't right with what you are doing, the wind and engine will in fact sound different. The wind will whistle through the cockpit a certain way, the engine will have a certain pitch to it if your power settings and airspeed are right, and if all is still going well when you finally pull the throttle to idle, you will be rewarded with that satisfying Merlin crackle you hear when a real Spitfire touches down. These are the kinds of cues pilots use in real life when they have become familiar with their aircraft to develop that extra sense of what is going on with their aircraft, and I have tried my best to bring that to CFS3.

Taxi

Now that you are safely stopped on the runway, it's time to taxi to dispersal. I don't have a whole lot to say other than to keep it slow. Admittedly, this is harder in CFS3 since we don't have tiny objects like grass up close to the aircraft to help gauge speed. You really don't want to be going over 10 m.p.h. when taxiing these kinds of aircraft, and that is going to feel painfully slow. The Spitfire's narrow track undercarriage can really bite you if you make even a small change in direction while taxiing too fast. The other thing to note is that once again, you can't see anything that's ahead of you because of your long nose. To compensate, tail wheel pilots taxi in a zig-zag pattern so they can look around their nose. And of course this is going to end in disaster if you are trying to go too quickly. If you do find yourself in a situation where your tail is trying to get in front of your nose, the best thing to do is just bring the throttle to idle, apply the brakes smoothly, and get stopped. Then slowly roll forward until your tail wheel is realigned with the aircraft (the Spitfire's tail wheel is neither steerable nor lockable) and then get yourself back on track. Tight pivoting turns can be accomplished from a standstill by giving a quick burst of power to just start rolling and then full rudder and full brake in the direction you want to turn.

This concludes the initial series of posts. Whether there will be another and what it will cover is up to all of you and what you would be interested in seeing. I hope this one has been helpful, hopefully not too frustrating, and ultimately rewarding you with a more satisfying flying experience.

I'd love to hear from you if there are things that these posts have helped you do better, as well as if there are things that didn't make sense or you couldn't get to work right. Also if you want more, let me know what topics would interest you!

Happy flying!

Gecko, what you're offering is very well done and appreciated.
    Thanks to you for doing this.

Blog Entries
    Many thanks. Receiving much information. Learning how to fly and fight in Falcon BMS. Falcon BMS is simply the dang hardest sim i've ever experienced. 40 hours in the manuals, and only a quarter done ! Much to learn in that sim ! The RSM in CFS3 makes things much more immersive and for that, i'm thankful. Much info here in this series of instructions. A huge thank you is well deserved ! THANK YOU ,Sir ! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 8