ive an idea

Thread: ive an idea

ive an idea

its probably a bad idea,who knows ? one of my favorite planes is the DHC-6 Twin Otter.The throttles are overhead,this has always bugged me when flying it.the aircraft im extremely excited about is Tankerguy's S2T,and now this DHC-4 critter has come out,these too have the throttles overhead.

On etsy i bought the DC-3,Porter and DHC-6 throttle handles.i then found a guy whos making a bracket that goes under your desk so you can mount the honeycomb yoke and the throttle quadrant below the desktop putting them in a more realistic position.

here's my idea,what if i had two of these brackets,one for under my desk and then have a buddy of mine make a stand to attach to my desk where it will come up over my head ,or in reality just in front of my head,and offset a bit,like the real ones in the DHC-4 and -6,as well as the S2T so i can have that overhead throttle?

the throttle quad will be upside down,and the reverser will be forward ,but i could just pretend its the way the real planes are setup? i think it would be cool,and fun.

ok,lets see what you all have to say about this idea.if i made sense,i see it in my head anyway.

Nice idea...but I see bruises and blood in prospect!

Easier would be to get a VR headset, it really shines in the older cockpits with levers everywhere, and with hand-tracking you can even move them...

It seems practical to me, and I don't see why you couldn't turn the unit around and/or reverse the control direction in the calibration options so that the orientation would be correct. But admittedly I haven't thought through the geometry.

It would be relevant to other aircraft also, the Goose and PBY come to mind.

I wouldn't do it personally, I don't need that level of realism and I'm a klutz so would probably knock it into my monitor or crack my head on it, but it seems technically feasible.

August

The levers would need to be flexible as to assignment. Flip a conventional quadrant upside down and now the throttle is on the wrong side, or travel is reversed, depending on which way you hang it.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    The levers would need to be flexible as to assignment. Flip a conventional quadrant upside down and now the throttle is on the wrong side, or travel is reversed, depending on which way you hang it.
    yes id thought about that as well, but i can live with it, lol

I think it's a great idea, Dave !

The levers of the the Bravo TQ *are* flexible. You can have throttle, mixture, prop anywhere you want. With reverse you can adapt the travel if needed.

Dave, if you can't manage yourself have a friend fix a small but sturdy shelve to the wall at the right side of your monitor, about the same height as the top of your monitor. Hang your Bravo TQ upside down from that shelve. Arrange/assign the levers as you need them.

I know, easier said than done, still Good luck !

You can also create a new assignment configuration in the settings for overhead setups so that you can just select the configuration you need for each type.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

It sounds like a very good idea for these three aircraft, as long as the quadrant levers can be assigned appropriately once inverted - you might need to try that out first. If you go ahead, post some pictures.

thanks to everyone whohas replied, good things to think about.more input is more than welcome.

Members who have read this thread: 0