DHC-4 Caribou - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DHC-4 Caribou

That DCS prop does look good.

I have this crazy addiction to radials and so I am reading this with interest... thanks!

C

For me the gold standard of prop discs was the Majestic Q400 in FSX. Not only was the spin-up smooth as silk, but the thickness of the disc changed with blade angle.

prop circles being reworked

Guys, give me a few days to rework the prop circles. I will make the file available on this site.
    The following are captures of the first reworked textures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2023-03-02 142120.png   Screenshot 2023-03-02 142004.png  

Thanks Jim ! Looking better already ! (are you able to tweak the fresnel params too ?..)

Seems to me now that it's either Bf-108 Taifun aficionados that don't give a hoot about the Caribou or it's the other way around. A third option could be that they both couldn't care less about spinning prop discs.

This has come to my attention after buying and loading up the Inibuilds Bf-108 Taifun for the first time just now. Took only a moment after viewing the external model in flight to notice that the spinning prop animation here is one of the best, if not THE best, i have ever come across here in MSFS.

It's not only that the spinning prop disc anim is of the highest quality the '3D spinning prop sideview' is easily the best ever to appear in MSFS sofar :

And they didn't stop at that neither. They also made an effort to add that typical bright sunglint effect that sometimes can be seen on RW spinning propellers :

It's not the first effort to add such a sunglint effect to a spinning prop. Many years ago i talked to Bill Lyons about it (in addition to a pilot's scarf flapping about in the propwash) and sure enough his next model showed the attempt that he made. No such thing as a fresnel_ramp available of course so it was very much make do (the flapping scarf was great ;-). And i am still not sure if that mysterious faint circular light that shows up in spinning prop discs in FSX is ment to be a sunglint effect....

In any case, with their magnificent Bf-108 Inibuilds delivers the best ever attempt to add such a difficult effect to their equally magnificent spinning prop animation ! Kudos !! :

Why no Bf 108 pilot here reading this spinning prop topic thought it to be worthwhile to mention the absolutely brilliant 108 spinning prop anim here shall forever remain in the MSFS dungeons along with the dragons.

Proves again that there's only a few flightsimmers that really care about such trivial things as spinning prop animations, me and 3 others..

Quote Originally Posted by Rallymodeller View Post
    For me the gold standard of prop discs was the Majestic Q400 in FSX. Not only was the spin-up smooth as silk, but the thickness of the disc changed with blade angle.
    I didn't have the Majestic Q400 (i did an ATR42 myself but at one point i started to dislike the sound of turboprops) but i know it really was 'Majestic' from the sceenshots and comments. With special propblades like that i can imagine they put extra effort in the animations. Seeing the blade angle change in the side view is fantastic of course. (IIRC they were not the only one that added that effect)

Are they working on an MSFS version ?..

Progress

Here is the latest capture of how the prop circles will look....now to turn my attention to the side props.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2023-03-03 085549.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Seems to me now that it's either Bf-108 Taifun aficionados that don't give a hoot about the Caribou or it's the other way around. A third option could be that they both couldn't care less about spinning prop discs. This has come to my attention after buying and loading up the Inibuilds Bf-108 Taifun for the first time just now. Took only a moment after viewing the external model in flight to notice that the spinning prop animation here is one of the best, if not THE best, i have ever come across here in MSFS. It's not only that the spinning prop disc anim is of the highest quality the '3D spinning prop sideview' is easily the best ever to appear in MSFS sofar : And they didn't stop at that neither. They also made an effort to add that typical bright sunglint effect that sometimes can be seen on RW spinning propellers :It's not the first effort to add such a sunglint effect to a spinning prop. Many years ago i talked to Bill Lyons about it (in addition to a pilot's scarf flapping about in the propwash) and sure enough his next model showed the attempt that he made. No such thing as a fresnel_ramp available of course so it was very much make do (the flapping scarf was great ;-). And i am still not sure if that mysterious faint circular light that shows up in spinning prop discs in FSX is ment to be a sunglint effect....In any case, with their magnificent Bf-108 Inibuilds delivers the best ever attempt to add such a difficult effect to their equally magnificent spinning prop animation ! Kudos !! :Why no Bf 108 pilot here reading this spinning prop topic thought it to be worthwhile to mention the absolutely brilliant 108 spinning prop anim here shall forever remain in the MSFS dungeons along with the dragons.Proves again that there's only a few flightsimmers that really care about such trivial things as spinning prop animations, me and 3 others..
    Fully agree on all points. Just purchased this sim. The BF-108 has a superb prop disk effect. Inbuilds proved that it can be done and not a MSFS imposed limitation.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

OK, back to the Caribou. Funny that it came out as a local legend together with New Zealand, where as far as I know, they never flew Caribous (OK, a few RAAF 'bous may have visited). But hey, it's a simulator, so we can simulate a local legend, in nthe colors of Fieldair, a well known topdressing and transport firm in New Zealand until they dropped off the radar. They did fly Beavers, but chose the DC-3 instead of the Caribou. What if the had made another choice??

ZK (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ZK (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ZK (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Awesome repaints jankees!!

Caribou Prop Rework Uploaded

Just a FYI, I just uploaded the Caribou Prop fix attempt.
    Hope it will meet with your approval.
    Best
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CaribouProp1.jpg   CaribouProp.jpg   CaribouProp2.jpg   CaribouProp6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    OK, back to the Caribou. Funny that it came out as a local legend together with New Zealand, where as far as I know, they never flew Caribous (OK, a few RAAF 'bous may have visited). But hey, it's a simulator, so we can simulate a local legend, in nthe colors of Fieldair, a well known topdressing and transport firm in New Zealand until they dropped off the radar. They did fly Beavers, but chose the DC-3 instead of the Caribou. What if the had made another choice??

ZK (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ZK (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

ZK (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    Great livery.
    Fieldair gets a mention in this Wikipedia article on the origins of Top Dressing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_topdressing

T43

That Fieldair livery has some of the best wear and weathering detail I have ever seen… closest to real and totally believable- absolutely superb!

C

I love that dirt for me it makes certain planes more real, and yes it is also one of the best I have seen lately, really magnificent, I love this plane although I miss a slightly more realistic start, belching, smoke, slow rotation of the helix....maybe one day

Quote Originally Posted by Pere View Post
    I love that dirt for me it makes certain planes more real, and yes it is also one of the best I have seen lately, really magnificent, I love this plane although I miss a slightly more realistic start, belching, smoke, slow rotation of the helix....maybe one day
    Truthfully, the only reason I don't own her (yet) is the rubbish start sequence- a real turn off.... still, reading and watching and waiting... with my fingers x'ed... you can't have enough radials...

C

Quote Originally Posted by cavaricooper View Post
    Truthfully, the only reason I don't own her (yet) is the rubbish start sequence- a real turn off.... still, reading and watching and waiting... with my fingers x'ed... you can't have enough radials...C
    As soon as I saw the cockpit I thought......my god another radial I looked at it several times and the authority of the house said "buy it.....it has propellers", and so it fell in my hangar although I can't get used to it. that it starts like a washing machine.....we will wait

Who knew this was Microsoft Engine Starting Simulator?

Is there room in your hangars for another Caribou?

I've lived in Michigan, so when I saw pics of this I just had to paint it
    erim(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

erim(0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

erim(0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

erim(0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

I shall definitely grab that one. My younger daughter and family live in Michigan.

Thanks for the prop disc update - it looks really good.

Bought this on day one. Love the Caribou and all the great repaints but I have to agree the start/shut down sequences and attendant sounds and smoke are so important in these types of aircraft and currently the model doesn't cut the mustard there for me yet....

I agree. But it's not a deal breaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sp762 View Post
    I agree. But it's not a deal breaker for me.
    Same. It's such a delight to fly I can forgive a lot. I've used it on two complete Misty Moorings tours now, and it's quickly become my go-to bird. Only real crab is the lack of power above about 8000' ASL. The ceiling should be over 20,000', so something is wrong. I had to abandon a flight over Mt. Denali because I just couldn't make it higher than 10,000'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lt5hKjA.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	90073

Window heat would have been nice , i mean the knob is there but it aint working.

snap02106 by Danny Best, on Flickr

Members who have read this thread: 7