DHC-4 Caribou - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DHC-4 Caribou

I fell in love with this aircraft as a kid back in the mid 90's watching the PBS Nova TV show on Darryl Greenamyer's attempted recovery of the B-29 "Kee Bird" in Greenland. I am super impressed with the work done on this product (had they included a version with the radome nose, I would be over the moon!).

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-s...bou-180979355/

I've been using it to fly a tour over at Misty Moorings. Knowing the capabilities of a plane and flying it in a sim are two different things; still weird to be looking at Cessna speeds and field lengths in a 26,000lb airplane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-23 213906.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	709.6 KB 
ID:	89939

Has anyone noticed oddness about the CG? Seems like it is ultra sensitive; there is less than half a percentage between 34% and 35% MAC where it is within limits. According to the POH the CG should be WAY more liberal than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rallymodeller View Post
    I've been using it to fly a tour over at Misty Moorings. Knowing the capabilities of a plane and flying it in a sim are two different things; still weird to be looking at Cessna speeds and field lengths in a 26,000lb airplane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-23 213906.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	709.6 KB 
ID:	89939

Has anyone noticed oddness about the CG? Seems like it is ultra sensitive; there is less than half a percentage between 34% and 35% MAC where it is within limits. According to the POH the CG should be WAY more liberal than that.
    The stall speed on the real DHC-4 is in the 50 knot region with full flaps. The actual forward CG limit is 31% MAC and 39% aft. The actual aircraft was able to perform short field work better than a lot of lighter aircraft.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Saw this earlier. Grabbed the plane. LOVE IT! Last one I had was Mike Stone's version. This one is fantastic! We need its younger brother - the DHC-5 Buffalo now. For 15 bucks, this is a hell of a deal, IMHO.

Don BP

HI Milton! Good to see you still walking the hallways!!

Don BP

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    Are you going to take this Swedish one as a livery subject too perhaps, Jan Kees ? It looks really lovely with the bare metal and all.
    That is my livery...
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I fell in love with this aircraft as a kid back in the mid 90's watching the PBS Nova TV show on Darryl Greenamyer's attempted recovery of the B-29 "Kee Bird" in Greenland. I am super impressed with the work done on this product (had they included a version with the radome nose, I would be over the moon!).
    To me, that is the perfect look for a Caribou!

Anybody guide me to a flight manual or check list for the Caribou please?

HI MILTON- GREAT TO SEE YOU HERE !!!!
    Last edited by collensr; February 25th, 2023 at 00:38. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jankees View Post
    That is my livery...
    I know...

and well done too !

and great screenie too !
    Last edited by Javis; February 25th, 2023 at 02:56.

Here is a PDF of the original USAF C-7A Caribou flight manual: http://www.dhc4and5.org/C-7A%20USAF%...(10-14-74).pdf

Page 59 begins the Normal Procedures and Checklists. Page 98 begins the Takeoff procedures, and so forth.

An original USAF C-7A procedures training film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odw83zrfIdY

The RAAF camouflage scheme had no markings, so I added them
    A4-152 (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

A4-152 (0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

A4-152 (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Great to see it with the proper markings added! I was just watching some more videos of the Caribou this morning, several featuring the HARS Caribou performing at airshows in Australia.

Canadian SAR Markings

If I can put out a request, would love to see a RCAF Search and Rescue repaint. These guys used to hang out at CFB Comox back in the day standing watch over the West Coast of BC ...... oops should of said CC-115 DH5 Buffalo ... close enough !!
    Last edited by Aircanuck; February 25th, 2023 at 10:45.

How does she sound? Are the sounds any good?

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

The sounds are excellent. It sounds just like in the videos I've seen of the real thing, both inside and out, and of high quality.

Having just practiced the technique, it will do the famous "wheel barrel" landing as well.

Bought it, love it. Wonder why not any kind of manual, basic one will do, know its a fine cheap work of art but will it be so costly and time/money consuming to write a kind of manual? What´s the reason not to do so? Regretfull...Took me a while to find out how to read speeds...and about the cargo ramp, does it open?
    hope someday someone makes a mod to simulate engine smoke. With those pipes will be a show...
    Cheers

From the pilot's seat, if you look back over your right shoulder there is a row of switches that control the cargo door and cargo ramp (as well as the rear cabin lighting). There is a master switch which must be turned on first, followed by separate switches for the ramp and cargo door, as well as a limiting switch for the ramp.

If a manual is produced, it will be made available here: https://www.flightsimulator.com/aircraft-manuals/

Will there be a random nose model as well? Would be the icing on the cake.
    Best regards, Manfred.

it could do with a big upgrade to the start up - more coughing and spluttering and DEFINATELY some smoke....

I cracked, and went ahead and bought it.

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    I cracked, and went ahead and bought it.

Priller
    Not an easy one to resist, is it. My first Marketplace purchase.

resistance is futile
    aam (0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

aam (0005) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

aam (0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

aam (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

I've been assimilated!

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

USarmy (0007) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

USarmy (0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

USarmy (0003) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

my paints are all on fs.2

Thanks Bomber12.
    Definitely we need somekind of manual...(unless they believe we love to solve puzzles) and engine smoke btw.

Members who have read this thread: 7