Missing aircraft

Thread: Missing aircraft

Missing aircraft

I have been doing a fresh install for the CBI theater. I have replaced all stock aircraft with the OH_Aircraft as in all my other (10) theater installs. All sound were replaced with those available here, again as in all my other installs. No problem with any of the aircraft in the other installs. But, in this new CBI install, for some reason on start up it says the stock aircraft can not be found! But they ARE there and show up in the aircraft menu and load and fly!

I must be missing something obvious but I can't see it. Any ideas?

Steve
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Blog Entries
    Are the names of the aircraft exactly the same as the stock planes. If not the stock planes are missing and what your flying is renamed stock planes so now you wouldn’t really have any stock planes at all.

Yep, the very same DW. Just to check I re-installed the original stock CFS2 aircraft that I kept in a separate back up folder. The same deal. Really quite perplexing, I've never seen this before.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Blog Entries
    Maybe reinstall again since this is a new reinstall probably not much to save out of it just uninstall that one and try again because something is corrupted or it wouldn’t be doing that.

Stoney.....

.....check the mission folders and compare names in the missions you are using. Also make sure that the sounds also have the proper cfgs. I had problems awhile back and found some sounds were misdirected and also the planes called for in the missions folder were not the same. Also make sure the planes say cfg. and not CGF.

Are all of these replacement aircraft the same ones that you have previously used successfully, or are some of them new/different?

Stoney.....

..just as a matter of curiosity do you use Mortons Mk-CFS2-until v2 found here http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d&page=6&pp=20

or CFS2 filelist eliminator found here; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&sort=d&pp=20
    or JSQEd Quick Combat File editor found here ; http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d&page=5&pp=20

These are in the utilities section ? They may help you find the problem or narrow it down.

Addendum to previous post....

Stoney, as addendum to the previous post I forgot to ask and stress to clean out the filelist.dat folder in the new install. I am sure you are aware of it but maybe overlooked it while doing the new install.

Yes, all the replacement aircraft are the OH_Aircraft that I have used in all nine other installs with no problem. So I replaced these with the stock aircraft, which I kept, to see what would happen. Same thing happened. On start up, all the same 'stock' aircraft were flagged as missing. They are there, so I just click through the warnings and the sim loads as usual. It's only the stock aircraft that seem to have an issue. Weird! I always replace the aircraft sounds with those available here and no problems with my other installs.

When adding things to inf or weapons folders I always delete the filelist.dat. Was that what you meant Fibber?

These OH aircraft will appear in missions and free flight with no problems. I feel it must be something simple and obvious that I'm missing.

Stoney

Yep , that is what I meant. When you replace the stock aircraft with the OH aircraft are you checking the sound folders for sounds or aliasing ? All the stock aircraft seem to be aliased to the Jap Zero. Without that plane and its sound none work. Replace the OH sound folders, which are usually also aliased to the Zero, with a individual sound and it should work. If there is a accidently left in double sound.cfg that file gets confused and the sound and plane wont show.

Simple test may be to reintrodue the unaltered stock Zero and see what shakes. Had these same problems awhile back and trying to remember how I corrected them so pardon me if I seem redundant on what you have already accomplished.

Blog Entries
    The reason I didn’t make any other suggestions was he claimed he took the oh aircraft out and put back in the originals he backed up and it was still doing it. Yes you have to look over any new aircraft with a fine tooth comb before adding it in your folder but usually if something is wrong like the sound being aliased to Aunt Jenny’s Riding Mower and you don’t have her lawn mower installed with the sound in it it would just make the one plane u installed not show up. The fact he says he can fly them in missions etc they are showing up but he is getting some error at game start up so that’s with the oh and the stock planes being tried. I’m not sure what the issue might be but if it’s a fresh install I would try reinstalling again rather than beating me old nogging against the door.

mdlnames.text? - do the stock aircraft still appear there?

also is there anything useful in the error.LOG

Blog Entries
    Middle named text wouldn’t give a error it would simply name it as it is but with middle names text you can say a6m2 Zero= McDonald’s flying Circus and it will call it that in missions. The zero in the middle name text has the manufacture listed but nothing in the plane does so it’s optional to leave it out but it’s a good way to give something a more better name especially weapons their names can look silly unless you added them to middle names and say Japanese 60 kg General Purpose Bomb which looks better than wep_ jp_ 60_gp or something like that.

Stoney...

...check your PM.

Back in 2011 and over at the Simviation forums a fellow known Birddog5 had this VERY same problem, but no solution was given. Would anyone know how to contact Birddog? I tried to register at this site but, of course, I was unable.

Blog Entries
    Why can’t you join Simaviation ? 2011 is a long time that dude could be in the Bahamas or six foot below by now. Anyway no I don’t know him so no help there. Might be helpful sometimes we geniuses still need a picture drawing for us to understand what’s going on so maybe a screenshot of the error your getting. Do you have another game installed without the stock airplanes like a European theater mod. I don’t see why you would get a error with the stock airplanes missing for. You wouldn’t be able to fly the missions they are in but cfs 2 doesn’t require it as scenery so they aren’t part of the landscape Sometimes you just have to test things. Take them out of another install and see what happens. When are you getting these errors at startup or Freeflight or when. Something is corrupted as sometimes a reinstall is your best option. I really don’t see why it’s a error with or without the stock planes as long as the planes you do have are not aliased to then. Those planes often are and the A6M2 Zero is the official cfs2 engine sound. Also panels and mdls can be aliased. Unless you have added gobs to your Cfs2 file that make them scenery they shouldn’t be needed I’m just curious what the error says and when.

Thanks DW. No, it's only on the very initial start up. When I click through them (the warnings of the missing, various stock aircraft) then the whole start up continues as normal, the sim loads and plays normally with no further issues of any missing stock, default aircraft.

So as you can see it's only a minor irritant, but I would like to find out why that this is the ONLY time in my ten CFS2 installs this has happened.

I'm just like that, the need to know why. It has caused me some interesting times in the past as well, I can tell you. Must be from my occupational career.

Rest assured that the mentioned "model a6m2_zero" is in place and quite flyable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails grab_039.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Thanks DW. No, it's only on the very initial start up. When I click through them (the warnings of the missing, various stock aircraft) then the whole start up continues as normal, the sim loads and plays normally with no further issues of any missing stock, default aircraft.

So as you can see it's only a minor irritant, but I would like to find out why that this is the ONLY time in my ten CFS2 installs this has happened.

I'm just like that, the need to know why. It has caused me some interesting times in the past as well, I can tell you. Must be from my occupational career.

Rest assured that the mentioned "model a6m2_zero" is in place and quite flyable.
    Well I think for now unless something else pops up in my head that's about the best I can do. Your aircraft folder should be A6M2_ZERO same for the modal. This plane at it's own panel and sound. The air file and dp file same name a your modal. cfg open up must say this important one is the sim the other you can add flying chopstick if you want at the end of it.

[fltsim.0]
    title=A6M2 Zero
    sim=A6M2_Zero

Sorry couldn't help but if you don't know you don't know but I did hear and respond and at least that means we tried some stuff better than ignoring you. Anyway good luck and if i think of something else i'll be back.

Thanks anyway DW. I feel the answer is right in front of me. I'll give it a rest and come back to it.

Blog Entries
    Yeah I’m sure it’ll all slap us up beside the head and make us think we should start over in Kindergarten but hey that’s my life maybe others too. Yeah breaks are good. I’ve screwed up far more stuff when I was frustrated than when I was calm got all day type mood. Good Luck.

How about checking whether anything is running as administrator? - Sometimes (Windows 10 especially) seems erratic in how it treats files that a program is trying to access , when running programs either as administrator or not, and also things can be affected by whether any files are expected to be on the c drive, for example?

Good thought RWILLS, but all eleven of my CFS2 installs are on an external H/D. None of them have this issue. So I just bang through the "Can't find this or I can't find that" then carry on as usual. Just a few extra key strokes and I can live with it.

Blog Entries
    I feel like it's a data file someplace. Try also deleting your aircraft cdp file so the game has to wake up and make new stuff hopefully it will. Usually if it can't find a object and u get a error message the objects won't even load or show up but in your case the game is giving false information because it's there and your flying them. It's just a install so that can be redone again as needed.

Nope. I deleted allCDP's but no joy.

Members who have read this thread: 0