Weybourne AA camp aka RAF Weybourne

Thread: Weybourne AA camp aka RAF Weybourne

Weybourne AA camp aka RAF Weybourne

Another one I'm working on; on the north Norfolk coast was officially the RAF's smallest airfield in WW2; used for launching and recovery of DH82 / Queen Bee drones for the co-located trainee AA gunners to shoot at
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weybourne_1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	89567 from wiki ---->

'X' Flt, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit were based at the station between 16 May and 14 September 1939, with 'T' Flt, No 1 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit there between 25 February and 29 April 1942. No 6 Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit were based there between 7 December 1942 and 30 November 1943.[2]
    Associated with the anti-aircraft gunnery, the station operated the De Havilland DH-82B Queen Bee target drone aircraft, a radio-controlled target version of the Tiger Moth II.

Later reports suggest Miles Magister were also based there; the drones were catapult launched and if not shot down were recovered to the beach or the airstrip (anyone know if there is a model of a shore / ships' catapult anywhere?)

The camp remained open until 1958 in same role; and a cold war radio location station (parented by Neatishead) was established, using the former AA gun laying radars,
    and later type 93 radar. This closed in 1996

it's today home to the Muckleburgh Military vehicle collection, the airstrip (code GB184) is PPR for light aircraft and it looks like the owners have a helipad on site too

ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; January 20th, 2023 at 04:47.

How's these grab Pete?
    Taken at Weybourne too.

Couple more for you,

There is one DH82B Queen Bee in captivity for certain(there maybe more),LF858/G-BLUZ:

https://www.airteamimages.com/de-hav...ce_268209.html

She's been converted back to a two seat DH82A configuration,but was originally built as a DH82B.

Haven't seen those..I've seen similar with Winston Churchill stood alongside the catapult
    N 1846 is recorded as being allocated to #1 AACU
    I can probably paint up a floaty tiger ( Bill Lyons one) I need a catapult to sit it on .

I can place a Bessoneau hangar now too

Thanks

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Haven't seen those..I've seen similar with Winston Churchill stood alongside the catapult
    N 1846 is recorded as being allocated to #1 AACU
    I can probably paint up a floaty tiger ( Bill Lyons one) I need a catapult to sit it on .

I can place a Bessoneau hangar now too

Thanks

Pete
    You can knock one up surely?
    Work out the dims from a known object(the QB).

Quote Originally Posted by Miggers View Post
    You can knock one up surely?
    Work out the dims from a known object(the QB).
    Wouldn't know where to start...

Ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post
    Wouldn't know where to start...

Ttfn

Pete
    Paul "PutPut" Clawson put a catapult on the USS Idaho to launch his Kingfishers, could serve as a reference. But a better avenue might be getting hold of Erwin Welker, he's been putting them on a multitude of ships. Obviously that is in FSX but he may have something he could adapt. Just a thought.

Another thought. If those gunners were any good surely there wasn't a whole lot of recovery going on? Actually my comment, while facetious, has more than an element of truth in it. My late father-in-law served in the RAF for 38 years, starting out as a gunner; he went from manning a Lewis gun in the back of a Hawker Hind to launching a Thor missile as part of Project Emily testing (he offered the key to my now ex-wife as the 'something old' for our wedding). Suffice to say his opinion of a lot of his colleagues in '39-'40 was not overly high. Takes all sorts I guess.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG43 View Post

Another thought. If those gunners were any good surely there wasn't a whole lot of recovery going on? Actually my comment, while facetious, has more than an element of truth in it. My late father-in-law served in the RAF for 38 years, starting out as a gunner; he went from manning a Lewis gun in the back of a Hawker Hind to launching a Thor missile as part of Project Emily testing (he offered the key to my now ex-wife as the 'something old' for our wedding). Suffice to say his opinion of a lot of his colleagues in '39-'40 was not overly high. Takes all sorts I guess.
    If you to Getty Images and search Weybourne..there's a few more images showing that

Hadn't thought of contacting Mr Welker

Ttfn

Pete

Here yer go Pete,

Just knocked this up, hopefully that'll do ya....

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DH82 Queen Bee pic.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Icon5

Pete,
    Try these, .mdl and .sca versions.

S
    Attached Files Attached Files

Members who have read this thread: 0