Douglas A-20G

Thread: Douglas A-20G

Douglas A-20G

Just wondering, but does anyone else have trouble getting this aircraft by Milton Shupe accelerating to rotation/take off speed?
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

I've never tried out that aircraft, but you may want to try leaning out the mixture for the engines and maybe adding just a little pitch to the props.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Just wondering, but does anyone else have trouble getting this aircraft by Milton Shupe accelerating to rotation/take off speed?

Hi Stoney,

Check your weights. When my memory serves me well, they aircraft is over the maximum weight when you don't alter the fuel quantity on board.
    I think there has been an update which solves this problem (alternative configuration file), but I can't remember where this was posted.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks guys. First thing I did Huub when I kept running off the end of every runway in the PNG. All Aux tanks empty and main tanks at 72%. Still ended up in the weeds. So I don't know. A beautiful plane though.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Try changing the aircraft.cfg file line scalar to 1.2 vice 1.0 as shown (the //and followon is ignored)

[piston_engine]
    power_scalar =1.20//1.00000

From a handbook sheet I have:
    A-20 G / J
    R-2600 engines
    45" @ 2400 RPM Vr 110 mph 1/2 flaps

24000 lb MGW Sea Level Zero Wind hard surface 10 deg NU trim

1/2 flaps takeoff -
    Ground Run 1937 ft
    50 ft obstacle 3250 ft

zero flap takeoff
    Ground Run 2228 ft
    50 ft obstacle 3737 ft

be careful on rotation!! easy to "skag" it, takes very little rotation for lift off.

IF Mike71 tweaks don't work for you,you can try tweaking the Flight Tuning Elevator parameters.

[flight_tuning]
    cruise_lift_scalar =1.00000
    parasite_drag_scalar =1.00000
    induced_drag_scalar =1.00000
    elevator_effectiveness =1.00000<<change the 1 to 2
    aileron_effectiveness =1.00000
    rudder_effectiveness =1.00000
    pitch_stability =1.00000
    roll_stability =1.00000
    yaw_stability =1.00000
    elevator_trim_effectiveness =1.00000<<change to 2
    aileron_trim_effectiveness =1.00000
    rudder_trim_effectiveness =1.00000
    hi_alpha_on_roll =1.00000
    hi_alpha_on_yaw =1.00000
    p_factor_on_yaw =0.50000
    torque_on_roll =1.00000
    gyro_precession_on_roll =1.00000
    gyro_precession_on_yaw =1.00000

I was having trouble with some float planes that would not lift off on the water. This worked for me sometimes. I dont't have Fs2004 but this aircraft works perfectly for me in FSX-SE the way it comes stock. Robert

My testing was in P3D4.5; stock a little underpowered. 1.2 scalar seems pretty good, especially for climb at 43"/2400 RPM and 155 mph for about 1700 fpm to 5000 MSL.

I recall from somewhere in the past that ground friction in early FS versions can be a problem.

Hey thanks fellows, I'll try these modifications out to night and report back.

Happy to report the changes suggested by you guys made the A-20/P-70 get off the ground. Thank you!

I do keep getting this warning. What does it mean?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot (101).png  

Looks like you have an unregistered copy of FSUIPC.

It's been so long that I don't remember why there are registered and unregistered copies or what the differences are. I'm pretty sure that both versions were free but I'm not certain. I think it was more like the registered version was more for developers and the unregistered version was for casual users. Or something like that. Maybe the registered version did more under-the-hood stuff within FS?

Anyway, it looks like you need to get the registered version. How to get it might be found in a readme file in your modules folder with the unregistered FSUIPC module. If not, try AvSim or SimV, or even Google.

or go to the source: http://www.fsuipc.com/

FS2004 version and info is quite a way down the page.

It might be helpful to first read the .LOG file in question which should be in the folder where FSUIPC is installed. Been a long time since I read it so I'm not sure how clear/arcane the entries are.

The FS2004 version is not supported but the above page has "registration key" info if you need it.

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Ok, thanks guys. I wonder why this just started to be a thing now. To be honest, I don't even know what a FSUIPC is or does.

Ok, thanks guys. I wonder why this just started to be a thing now. To be honest, I don't even know what a FSUIPC is or does.
    It's a little utility that allows other things to interface with fs ; specifically gauges that call effects or sounds from elsewhere within your fs folder , also allows you to use real world weather, tweek your joystick etc.

It's a must have if you want to use the rcbo carrier gauges

Ttfn

Pete

The abbreviation stands for "Flight Simulator Universal Inter Process Communication". And that is exactly what it does, it links processes.

I can't recall you had to register the free (older) versions.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    The abbreviation stands for "Flight Simulator Universal Inter Process Communication". And that is exactly what it does, it links processes.

I can't recall you had to register the free (older) versions.

Cheers,
    Huub
    He may have some addon activated requiring a registered version but does not know it. Needs to see if he has FSUIPC installed, and then look at the log.

You don't have to have a registered version for basic stuff, but advanced features and some addons require the registered version.

What version of FS is he using??

Thanks boys, I did D/L and install the latest version and all's well now. Can't seem to register it though.

Thanks boys, I did D/L and install the latest version and all's well now. Can't seem to register it though.
    Last I heard the fs9 one was made ' free' this is from the fsuipc website for version 3.999z

FSUIPC and WideFS for FS2004

The version FSUIPC below is also compatible with the Microsoft Flight Simulator 9.1 UPDATE which was made available on October 9th 2004.

Note that FSUIPC3 and WideFS6 are no longer supported. But a free Registration is provided:
    Name: free user
    Email: fsuipc@free.com
    FSUIPC3 KEY: Y8ZG SUWH TIQ2
    WideFS6 KEY: IUT7 DBMK 1EU1
    ( you don't need Wide Fs key if you're not using the Wide fs utility that's a separate download)

Ttfn

Pete

Yep, version 3.999z is the one I installed MM. Seems to work fine... so far.

Members who have read this thread: 0