FS2020 and Windows 11?

Thread: FS2020 and Windows 11?

FS2020 and Windows 11?

Anyone that's done the update to Win 11 have any input? Benefits or pitfalls?
    I've been holding off for awhile now, but it seems like we'll all eventually need to upgrade.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Cheers,
    Dave

No issues with Windows 11. Some nice tweaks to it, and yeah, eventually Win 10 support will stop. Plus hoping that MS eventually adds DirectStorage (fast loading) to MSFS as boy there's no other app that needs it more. I would assume the vast majority of development and testing at MS/Asobo is on Win 11 now, so it's definitely not going to have any negative effects on MSFS.

My only gripe is that I like the full, wide, un-combined taskbar buttons that they deprecated because not many people used them anymore. (Because they had to be turned on, sigh.) But there's a great utility I use that gives you back all the old Taskbar functionality and lets you revert to older Start menu designs as well:
    https://www.startallback.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    No issues with Windows 11. Some nice tweaks to it, and yeah, eventually Win 10 support will stop. Plus hoping that MS eventually adds DirectStorage (fast loading) to MSFS as boy there's no other app that needs it more. I would assume the vast majority of development and testing at MS/Asobo is on Win 11 now, so it's definitely not going to have any negative effects on MSFS.

My only gripe is that I like the full, wide, un-combined taskbar buttons that they deprecated because not many people used them anymore. (Because they had to be turned on, sigh.) But there's a great utility I use that gives you back all the old Taskbar functionality and lets you revert to older Start menu designs as well:
    https://www.startallback.com/
    Thanks Denny!
    Cheers,
    Dave

My rig is Win11, but it was a native build, not an update. That said, I've had zero stutters and zero CTD's since bringing the box home and installing the sim. Specs are in my sig...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Well this is encouraging news, I'm loading FS2020 into a new puter with Windows 11 as it's native program.

Did the Win 11 update yesterday - it was very smooth and quick compared to updates of old. So far no issues, and things seem a bit snappier. However, it's hard to know without doing a direct side by side comparison.
    Dave
    Cheers,
    Dave

Native built Windows11 system on my end also. Bought it for the main purpose of being able to run MSFS and they get along great.

Forest

Icon25

No need for update to W11 yet ~

Quote Originally Posted by Brytskiva View Post
    No need for update to W11 yet ~
    Indeed, you have until the beginning of 2025. But honestly, I have Window 11 and I love it!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

A couple of tips for Win 11 users who miss the old Control Panel... To directly access the calibration routine that was once available in the control panel, open the start menu and type joy.cpl and you'll get the "Set up USB game controllers" dialog.

To access this and roughly 200 other legacy control options, create a new folder. Next step is the name. It's long, so I'm copying and pasting from my system:

Control Panel.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The first part before the ".{" doesn't matter. It's the period and everything after, including the brackets that make the change. After you paste that into the name, what you entered will vanish and the icon will change. Then I think you'll like what you find inside. (The Joystick calibrator is under "Devices and Printers.")
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Actually, you can just hit "Search" in Win 11 and type "Control Panel" and the OG control panel will come up as well.

(Unless that's something that StartAllBack fixed, but I don't think so.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    A couple of tips for Win 11 users who miss the old Control Panel... To directly access the calibration routine that was once available in the control panel, open the start menu and type joy.cpl and you'll get the "Set up USB game controllers" dialog.

To access this and roughly 200 other legacy control options, create a new folder. Next step is the name. It's long, so I'm copying and pasting from my system:

Control Panel.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

The first part before the ".{" doesn't matter. It's the period and everything after, including the brackets that make the change. After you paste that into the name, what you entered will vanish and the icon will change. Then I think you'll like what you find inside. (The Joystick calibrator is under "Devices and Printers.")
    Hi Tom,

I've got a clean install Windows 11, no upgrade and I still have the control panel. I just search for control panel et voilą!

Maybe it's because my Windows 11 is the Enterprise version?

Cheers,

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

No, it's available for all versions: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/way...in-windows-11/

Priller
    MSI Z790 Motherboard

The "God Mode" folder contains a LOT more. For instance, I don't see any way to access the joystick calibration dialog from the Control Panel. The initial folder looks the same, but opening Devices and Printers only opens the Windows 11 interface. You have to search for "joy" to get to the calibration routine from the normal Control Panel. I prefer to have the real controls at my fingertips.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I created a shortcut to joy.cpl in Windows 10 using this guide: https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10...lect%20Finish.
    It probably works with Windows 11 too.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    It probably works with Windows 11 too.
    Yep - sure does!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home