Best "Basic" Sim World Enhancement for CFS2?

Thread: Best "Basic" Sim World Enhancement for CFS2?

Best "Basic" Sim World Enhancement for CFS2?

Greetings!

So... I have this Install of CFS2 on my rig, and it's 100% stock except for the addition of a P-51 Mustang that I may delete at some point.

My question for the CFS2 gurus is this; what in your opinions would be the best basic upgrades to the CFS2 'World'? Different Campaigns or Missions?

Please... any suggestions and/or Links would be most appreciative!

Thanks!

Alan

I would recommend Maskrider's Pacific Theatre packs,Stusrt277's ships and UncleTgt's . objects and scenery. for the Pacific. All are found here in Warbirds' Library.

and...

Welcome aboard!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Wow, there are so many. That really depends on your definition of basic. If you mean campaigns that use the stock CFS2 world, then I can recommend some favorite Pacific Theater campaigns: any by Talon, any by Shadow Wolf 07, any by TheBookie, Heidi's Updated Midway, Rami's Royal Australian Air Force and Papua New Guinea, any by Skylane, and of course my own 87 Days of Cactus, The 9th Fighter Squadron 49th Fighter Group, Marine Fighting Squadron VMF-121, and VF-19 Satan's Kittens. There's many others, that's just a sample. Most of these use the stock world as the Pacific is so vast that only recently has updated meshes become available.

(I guess I really should take a break from modeling and update all my Pacific campaigns with new scenery, new aircraft and ships as we did with the Cactus Campaign)

If you want to fly the European and/or Mediterranean theaters you will find that most of them will require replacing the CFS2 world with new mesh and scenery in order to fly the campaigns. It takes a little work but well worth it in the end. But if you are not ready to tackle that just yet, there's plenty of Pacific campaigns for you to get your feet wet and keep you happily flying.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Blog Entries
    You might want to update your stock aircraft too with the overhaul planes from the B24 Guy and Dbolt redid the Corsair I believe. You can then fly all of those previously unflyable AI aircraft . They weren’t the first ones to make them fly but they stepped it up a notch by demirroring the textures so now you can add your girlfriend nose art on one side and your wife on the other side and as before you couldn’t do that and if you put one on a side it would also be on the other side but backwards. Dbolts US weapons are a must as well as Allen’s Japanese weapons

Quote Originally Posted by ViperPilot2 View Post
    Greetings!

So... I have this Install of CFS2 on my rig, and it's 100% stock except for the addition of a P-51 Mustang that I may delete at some point.

My question for the CFS2 gurus is this; what in your opinions would be the best basic upgrades to the CFS2 'World'? Different Campaigns or Missions?

Please... any suggestions and/or Links would be most appreciative!

Thanks!

Alan
    Getting the stock aircraft to perform more realistically is a good basic "upgrade" - improving the flight characteristics, - mostly the aircraft are too slow which seems deliberate to make the Zero seem better than it was and puts the heavier/faster fighters at a disadvantage. Several of the aircraft also don't have their guns set up very well and shoot low compared to the sights. Also I've altered most of my aircraft so that the machine guns are more effective at close range and less effective at long range, which makes a big difference to the .30" size guns - meaning you have to get close before firing or you waste ammo.

Unofficial patch

There's this it's a patch that address some issues and fixes.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=6210

Cheers mav

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    There's this it's a patch that address some issues and fixes.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=6210

Cheers mav
    I checked it out. I do recommend anybody to read the read me's before installing it. It's not a patch to fix performance issues like with newer windows or anything like that it's just a mod package. You can install it in the same folder the patch exe. came in then get what you want or leave it without installing it in the game first.

Icon5

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    It's not a patch to fix performance issues like with newer windows.

Who said anything about performance issues for newer window ?..... how did you come with that conclusion .?

Blog Entries
    Unofficial patch that addresses some issues and fixes could be deceiving if someone is having trouble with their game they might think that would fix it. Nothing wrong with the mod I just don't like those type of installations without seeing the files first and of course the read me's

Blog Entries
    The mods in the installer aren’t deceptive and the read me does a good job of explaining what it does but the way it is as posted by you there wasn’t enough information to know what it was. People are out there having issues with the game on their pc’s and laptops especially with windows 10 and 11 so it could be mistaken for something to make their game play better. Most I would hope would read the read me first but there are some who don’t. It’s mainly stock aircraft dp fixes and they are good fixes but I’m not the person who puts up something without giving a good description of what your getting. Nothing wrong with the upload or you posting it it’s just I didn’t really know what it was until I checked it out. I’m not accusing anybody done something wrong I just wanted people to know what it is or isn’t.

Icon22 Reply...

ViperPilot2,

If you need any help with the MTO and ETO, let me know in this thread.

ETO scenery install guide: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=2931

MTO scenery install guide: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=49&id=2932

Mav and Deathwind...Please play nice...we don't want to scare the fish away!

One suggestion I do have is perhaps someone can take the PTO installation guide that Dvslats edited years ago and update it with how to install some of UncleTgt's numerous scenery packages for the Pacific. THAT would be a worthwhile endeavor! I could do it, but not until the summer.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Quote Originally Posted by Rami View Post
    If you need any help with the MTO and ETO, let me know in this thread.
    Need help? That'll be me then, although some might say I'm beyond help!!

I've got your ETO scenery guide & have downloaded all the necessary files, except Rhumbaflappy's wonderful mesh packages as I already use them with my FS9 installs (five, covering different periods). I have one folder (with three sub-folders) with the mesh in it and all of the installs 'look' at that folder, saving myself the best part of 12gb and a whole heap of loading when I launch an install; can I do the same here, or will I have to place a fresh set inside the CFS2 directory?

Any pointers gratefully received.
    Andy

Andy

You can get CFS2's scenery config to pull scenery add-ons from outside of the install.

I have all the different scenery add-on packages (including Rhumbas excellent mesh) stored as sub-folders within a folder called "3rd Party Scenery".

It's a simple matter to then point each different install to this location & call up/activate those packages you need, depending upon the theme of that particular install...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Andy

You can get CFS2's scenery config to pull scenery add-ons from outside of the install.

I have all the different scenery add-on packages (including Rhumbas excellent mesh) stored as sub-folders within a folder called "3rd Party Scenery".

It's a simple matter to then point each different install to this location & call up/activate those packages you need, depending upon the theme of that particular install...
    Brilliant, thank you this. Another 3gb saved then!
    Andy

Members who have read this thread: 2