Crash to Desktop. Please help!

Thread: Crash to Desktop. Please help!

Crash to Desktop. Please help!

Hi folks. I recently started playing CFS3 again, specifically the MAW expansion. In quick combat I was flying Free Flight just to familiarize myself with the controls.

Once I was comfortable with that I tried a ground attack in a Me 109 E with 2 250lb bombs. The target was an airfield. Everything was going great, until, as I approached the target I ordered my wingmen to attack...they answered affirmative...and then.. the screen went black. It took about 4 minutes for my desktop display to fully recover.

Incidentally after rebooting, I tried to attack the airbase without issuing commands to the wingmen and as soon as I got close to the airbase the same thing happened.

I came here and researched CTD problem threads which were very informative indeed.

So far I have; increased my virtual memory; updated my Raedon 9600 driver; and finally deleted the uisel files from all three versions. (I have installed CHS3; OFF and MAW). None of these have worked (although yesterday I did get to see a trusty wingman go in for the kill just before it crashed again ;-))

I'm running XP-Home. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

BTW. It seems as if the CFS3 community is as vibrant as ever, even with all new faces.

Cheers

I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone can help me with my CTD problem:help:

dsawan
    Hi, is this an all MAW install? i would suggest to do this. look for the usiel file and do a disk defrag right after. useil file is found in document folder or applications. Its an xml file. Also, is this doing it with other missions?

Hi membrain

Quote Originally Posted by membrain View Post
    I thought I'd bump this to see if anyone can help me with my CTD problem:help:
    Do you have CFS3 patched with the updates
    3.1 1st patch
    3.1A 2nd patch (in that order )
    I know that sometimes after a reinstall of the game we might forget to
    put the patches in , If they are not there your game will crash as you described.

Here is the link for the patches (updates for CFS3 ) in case you need it
    http://www.microsoft.com/games/combatfs3/downloads.aspx

Hope this helps , :ernae:

(Note) If these patches are not in the original CFS3 install , none of your add on's will work as they should
    :ernae:

Many thanks to both of you Dsawan and IMS_LIGHTMAN. I tried both of your suggestions and it didn't work. I appreciate you assisstance anyway. I've been trying to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling CFS3 anss MAW but now theres no way around it. I found a free uninstallation tool recommended by CNET that will do clean unistall, unlike Micro$oft's own. It's called REVO Uninstaller for anyone who might be interested.

Cheers

I'm no expert here, but I'd suggest something on the airfield you're attacking is missing some assets. Everything goes swimmingly until the mission calls for the missing effect/asset and CFS3 then CTDs.

A re-install of MAW may be your only option. Sorry.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

re-member,remem-ma-member popsaka's Avatar
    hey kids! ...similar problem w/ MAW here ...and I doubt I'll give up 'till its fixed!

Best guess so far is somehow my MAW Terrains/scenery has become corrupt as I no longer can run Greek campaigns or access any of the Northern map/bases unless I add xtra tanks and fly direct (this wasn't a problem originally)
    Anyways after I do a redo I'll post a report. -cheers :typing:

Members who have read this thread: 0