MSFS on different drive.

Thread: MSFS on different drive.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar

MSFS on different drive.

I have just rebuilt my computer kicking it to W11. Now I wish to re-install MSFS but I don't want it to go to the default location. I want to install it on my D: drive. The default is a 550GB SSD while the D: drive is 4TB and is empty. How can I get it to install on that drive.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

It depends on whether you have the Steam or the Microsoft Store version.

Steam offers the choice during installation. No idea about the store version.

Here is some literature on the subject: https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/...-for-instance-

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

the store version also offers you the possibility. Sometime during installation it will ask you where you want to install the 'packages' (=community and official folders). Point it to your D:drive (I parked it in a MSFS folder on my D: drive) and all will be well.
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Thanks fellas. I actually have the Store version.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

A couple tips that may not apply to you but for anyone else who finds this thread. I believe these mostly apply to the MS Store version.

DO NOT use the Windows function to 'move' the installation. This seems to encrypt the community folder and prevents you from taking things out or editing them.

If the game is already installed, you can move the vast majority of the files by making a new folder somewhere else and putting the Community and Official folders inside of it. Then find your usercfg.opt file (default location is AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8 wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache) and edit in in Notepad. Go to the last line, and edit the file path to point to the folder you made.

The next time the game says it wants to download files, click Browse and make sure it is also pointed to your new folder before proceeding.

I moved my files from the default MS Store path to C:\MSFS to prevent file path length issues. Now I am running low on space so I'll be moving it to a new drive soon in the same way.

To go further, if you want to store your community folder content on a separate drive or if you want to organize your files with sub-folders for like aircraft, scenery, liveries, etc. you can use the MSFS Addons Linker program to manage the files by creating links for you. https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker

Aussieman,

It's actually really easy, because the main MSFS files are pretty small compared to all of the rest. If you're okay with the base program being on the smaller drive, during setup, just create a folder like D:\FlightSim on your 4TB drive and choose that during the setup phase where it downloads the rest of (most of) the files. The small base executable will be on your C: drive but all the rest, and your Community folder, will be on D. That's how I have mine set up.

If you still have the Official and Community folders from your old install, you can even copy them in the D:\FlightSim (or whatever you call it) folder before you install the sim, then when you do the installation it will see the files already there and not re-download them.

If you Install MSFS with the Xbox app and you DO want to even put the base game on your second drive, before you install MSFS, go into the Xbox app, right-click your Gamertag in the top left corner, and choose Settings. Then under "General" you can change the drive and folder where games are installed by default, and also choose "Ask me for install options on every install." (If you set up a custom folder there, though, don't put the MSFS data files in that one -- it should only be for MS Store/Xbox App executable programs.)

Hope this helps!

Man, could MS make this any more complicated? Well, sure they could. But it really makes me wish the Commodore Amiga hadn't died!

Members who have read this thread: 1