Last of the Dambusters Passes

Thread: Last of the Dambusters Passes

Last of the Dambusters Passes

The BBC reported yesterday that Sqn Ldr George "Johnny" Johnson, the last surviving member of the 617 Squadron Dambusters has passed at the age of 101.

RIP Sqn Ldr Johnson

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40497471

Wolf....

....if you get a chance read the book "Return of the Dam Busters" by John Nichol. It tells the story of the fate of many of the members of 617 Squadron which became known in the RAF as a suicide squadron because of the type of missions they handled. This includes many of the original members of the famous dam busting mission. Good book.

Blog Entries
    Well if he lived to be 101 then he did a really poor job in carrying out his missions in a suicide squadron. All he would had to done was pick a target and fly the plane into it same as the world trade center.

Icon28

I hope that comment is a weird attempt at humour??!

If not, then go and take a look at his obit.

Cheers

Shessi

Deathwind.......

...IF you read the book ,you will understand what I wrote. In fact, suggest you re-read my post that said "....because of the type of missions......." either that or take a course in reading interpretation. The end !!!!!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I know what your saying and he deserves recognition for his service. I just saw him being 101 and in the suicide squadron and well you get it it's a joke so no need to get your panties in a twist. Speaking of Dam Busters i think i had the add on from Just Flight but all my payware stuff is packed away on the other side of the States. Sorry about the confusion and no disrespect to the hero himself but doing dangerous feats doesn't mean your wanting to die. A fire fighter rescues a kid not because his girlfriend broke up with him and he doesn't want to live he does it because he doesn't want that kid to die and if he doesn't go in then it will be always on his mind that maybe he could have saved the child. When you are in war you have to risk your life there is no way out of it but your not shooting yourself so it's not suicide.

Blog Entries
    Just to be clear I know they called it the suicide squadron because many didn't make it out alive but they were not committing suicide they fell in the line of duty. Sacrifice and suicide are not the same thing. You push your girlfriend out of the way of a rolling boulder and it rolls over you instead of her did you commit suicide? No you didn't want to die but you did the right thing by saving someone else's life who would be gone if not for you. kamikaze could be considered sacrifice because they were defending their country not wanting to die but dying so others can live. Muslim extremists believe they are sacrificing themselves in a fight against corruption attacking their religious believes and what they are doing is a honer. They didn't walk into a crowd with a bomb belt because some street walker gave them a STD and they no longer want to live but instead they were at peace with themselves thinking they are defending ALLHA. Now when you read a man is 101 and his squadron was called the suicide squadron and remember suicide means being depressed wanting to kill yourself and he couldn't do it even in a war flying a bomber then he is a poor suicide taker. The wording was what makes it funny not being correct even if they did call it the suicide squadron it certainly was not.

was not.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    You push your girlfriend out of the way of a rolling boulder and it rolls over you instead of her.
    Now why in God's green earth would you do that.... when you're confronted with an opportunity ,like that you thank your lucky stars and say all well .... time for a new one and move on.... now enuff silly talk.

Cheers mav

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mav View Post
    Now why in God's green earth would you do that.... when you're confronted with an opportunity ,like that you thank your lucky stars and say all well .... time for a new one and move on.... now enuff silly talk.

Cheers mav
    Oh come on they were about to hang me by the noose as it was and besides as much as I’d like to trade her in for a new one I couldn’t look at the kids and say well it was me or her so y’all stuck with me now. I did run away once but she hoped on a plane flew across the United States and brought the sad faced kids too so I had to go back as I couldn’t look at those faces and say no.

Members who have read this thread: 0