The last of the Dambusters...

Thread: The last of the Dambusters...

Icon17 The last of the Dambusters...

Another link to history has passed away...

Sqn Ldr George 'Johnny' Johnson, has died aged 101, the last surviving Dambuster. He was the bomb-aimer on Mick McCarthy's crew who attacked and damaged the Sorpe Dam, May 16/17th 1943.

A nice obit for those interested...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40497471

Amazing that things like this still occur, that take us back so far in history, nearly 80 years ago!

Cheers

Shessi

No way!

I've just started reading his book Wing Leader.

Shame really as there will be a time when they're all gone.

A hundred and one! Good for him!

What a nice obit!

Eighty years ago. When I was a kid just starting to read grown-up books about WW2, that war was just about a decade in the past, and at that age a decade felt like a very long time ago. Now I look back ten years and it feels like last week, and if I look back eighty years from those childhood days, I see the American Civil War. An interesting perspective on the passage time as we age.

One thing certain, he definitely had a good inning.... the yarns he would of told around a fire.

Cheers mav

Icon2

SpaceHippy,
    Not that Johnnie Johnson, he was a Wing Cmdr and died in 2001, still a good book and worth a read..

Mav,
    Yes, he certainly got his money's worth didn't he.

And Mick, yes agreed, my Nan used to say.''..as you get older, time passes so quickly'', I used to laugh and think how can it??!....and you know what......hanging on for dear life....ha ha.

I was thinking about other slices of 80 years, it's the difference between 1900 and 1980 or 1920 and 2000, makes you think. The sad thing is that 80 years ago Europe was at war, and guess what.......as a species we don't deserve this planet.

Anyway, enough of that, go get those Lancs out and practice some low country flying...tally ho!

Cheers

Shessi

Ahh, my mistake! Yes, the book is very good!

Keith.

Did the Dams raid on Fs9 a few years ago with the superb Plane Design Lanc.
    Can't remember the route I took(it was a Dams raid route),it was good fun but tiring at low level.
    Only thing was,when I got there I couldn't find the dam for toffee.................

RIP Johnnie,you did a good job,it's time to stand easy and many thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0