turning right - just can't sometimes

Thread: turning right - just can't sometimes

turning right - just can't sometimes

I seem to have a bug. Doesn't matter what airplane but sporadically I just can't tun to the right, at all, even using differential braking. I've cycled the autopilot to make sure that wasn't causing an issue. And looked at the wind direction and that isn't making sense either. Like I said, the problem isn't even consistent. It's driving me nuts though. It reminds me of the stuff that goes on with seaplanes in the water but I'm on land without floats. It's been going on ever since the last update. Any ideas of what to try or look at. I hate to have to restart the sim until the problem goes away.

LouP

Just a thought. Has your flight model setting reset itself to Legacy? If it has choose Modern and go flying.

This happens to me also, but only upon landing after slowing down to make a taxiway. Different aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Just a thought. Has your flight model setting reset itself to Legacy? If it has choose Modern and go flying.
    Nope, on modern. Happens at different airports with different aircraft and not all the time, but the ideas are appreciated. The animations on the rudder and pedals show I should be going right but the aircraft just can't. Also, it hasn't happened trying to go left (yet). I plan on trying to spawn on the active tonight and not in a parking spot to see if that clears things up as that seemed to straighten out some prior issues I had with the Milviz Corsair (their idea, not mine, thanks for that)

LouP

When it happens, open up the toolbar's weather menu and set to clear skies and no wind, then see if you can turn.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    When it happens, open up the toolbar's weather menu and set to clear skies and no wind, then see if you can turn.
    Thanks Tom, I'll give it a try. I certainly hope that this is not the issue. Never in my years of flying irl did the wind prevent me from turning any of the aircraft I flew. I would have to use the ailerons to keep the wings from lifting but never, ever, did it prevent me from turning. I know it happens on the water in FS but I can't speak to that as I never operated an aircraft on the water (doesn't seem right though).

LouP

Well, it looks like it might be the wind after all. I cleared the weather but there was still a light breeze I didn't worry about. I could turn better but still not great. This is ridiculous!

LouP

Just one other thing. Have you got wear and tear operating, if so, turn that off and reset.

Not sure that I have had this scenario but the AI copilot trying to taxi to the assigned parking spot might do some crazy stuff too.
    Not sure why it would only prevent right turns ...but it is just an idea.

Cheers
    Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Just one other thing. Have you got wear and tear operating, if so, turn that off and reset.
    I don't think so but with all those settings getting changed with updates, you never know. I will check on that, thank you.

LouP

Which planes are you getting this in? Some of us may be able to replicate your experiences and narrow down a solution.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

In my case it happened last with the Cessna 208 B and prior to that the Carenado PC12.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    In my case it happened last with the Cessna 208 B and prior to that the Carenado PC12.
    Did you check for active yawdamper? Just a thought....
    They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Which planes are you getting this in? Some of us may be able to replicate your experiences and narrow down a solution.
    Hi Tom, seems to be different all the time. Last night I flew the Carenado 170 and expected a problem because of the taildragger set-up, but it was fine (and the wind was blowing). I have an idea to test out next time it happens but don't want to mention it until I test it out.

LouP

With tail draggers, some come from the dev with the tailwheel set as a caster, and others with a positive steering setup. That can make a world of difference with a crosswind. But I'm guessing all of Carenado's planes are locked down from edits.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

I found a way to fix "my" problem (won't say it works for everyone).

Found "Autorudder" was set to "ON". Turned it "Off". (no rudder pedals - VKB Sim Gladiator joystick rotate for rudder)

Ensured "Nose Wheel Steering" was on and set to the proper axis.

Flew both above mentioned aircraft - Was able to follow the "Yellow Brick Road".

I'm off now to fly an L-4.

Figured it out (Finally). I ran into the issue again tonight with the new Velocity XL that I just purchased and was looking at the control options and found one for "steering axis". When did they stop using the rudder axis to steer on the ground anyway? At this rate I won't be able to use FSUIPC for my controls anymore. Anyway, tied my crosswind rudders to the steering axis and I can go in circles either way now. Hopefully my rudder still works that is set up in FSUIPC.

LouP

Members who have read this thread: 0