Sad Day at Wings Over Dallas, B-17G & P-63 Mid-Air (Fatal)

Thread: Sad Day at Wings Over Dallas, B-17G & P-63 Mid-Air (Fatal)

Sad Day at Wings Over Dallas, B-17G & P-63 Mid-Air (Fatal)

CAF Texas Raider B-17G and P-63 collided near show center, all persons aboard both aircraft were lost. May they Rest in Peace...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is terrible news.

What empty words to say, but it is true. I'll be interested to learn what happened, because the loss of the people operating these aircraft is so painful and sharp. Their experience with these machines and the routines that they fly is so deep and practiced that something must be learned from this tragedy.

This is a terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of those who perished.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Blog Entries
    Tragic, obvious from the footage that there can be no survivors, so all we can do is pray for the souls of the victims and their families. RIP

An awful tragedy...

Cees

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    Here are a few pics of her at my local airport (KBHM) on May 21,2021, very sad indeed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1952.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	88916

Name:	IMG_1958.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	458.3 KB 
ID:	88917

Name:	IMG_1962.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	214.3 KB 
ID:	88918

Name:	IMG_1963.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	220.0 KB 
ID:	88919

- Don

Firstly I was thinking that it was fake video. It was hard to believe.

And Kingcobra. RiP ['] ['] [']

Really strange situation. Looks like pilot of P-63 didnt noticed flying B-17 what is really strange. B-17 was under Kingcobra's belly as he made a turn. He was probably concentrating on following the Mustangs.

Blue sky pilots!
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

sad, rip. I always thought these old planes were fitted with anti-collision sensors as a backup.

hard to watch - clearly the B-17 crew couldn't have known what hit them.
    eventually these historic aircraft will be deemed too valuable or significant as artifacts to lose this way
    It goes without question that any loss of life is a high price to pay so that we can still see them in flight.
    As tragic as that was, regarding the crew of the B-17 and pilot of the P-63, this accident could have been a whole lot worse.
    RiP to those folks and sincerest condolences to their families and friends.
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Now it looks like the P-63 pilot was told by the air show's air boss to overtake the B-17. This makes it an even worse tragedy, in my opinion.
    Watch and listen to the video from this news report.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/lo...0-6de9c9206837
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

A tragic and unfortunate loss for everyone involved, and for the Aviation community as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by demile View Post
    sad, rip. I always thought these old planes were fitted with anti-collision sensors as a backup.
    erm, they dont work like that, without addition of very expensive digital equipment mostly not compatible with 1940's tech, the best it will do is tell you there is something nearby it won't tell relative range and height if one or other do not have a working tr

ttfn

Pete

Here are a couple of people who are far more knowledgeable about airshow ops than I. First video is by Dan Gryder, it will start some 22 minutes into the video so as to go directly to his take on this disaster.
    https://youtu.be/QunMRwNzr_c?t=1326

This second video goes into a lot more detail about what likely happened.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C342dfNPCyg

Members who have read this thread: 0