I Found A New Cool Airport

Thread: I Found A New Cool Airport

Hybrid View

I Found A New Cool Airport

I have returned to North Carolina from Georgia; back in my home state for a change. I went out to Skyvector as I like to do and look for small airports to fly to. FSX default isn't even close to what it really looks like, not even the taxiways, its runway is the only thing I kept and extended it by 2 feet. Its in Elizabethtown and is KEYF Curtis L. Brown Jr. Field. The field is named for the former Air Force Colonel and NASA Astronaut. Brown left NASA in May 2000 and became an airline pilot for American Airlines and later Sun Country Airlines. He was inducted into the Astronaut Hall of Fame in April 2013. He is currently the chairman of the board of the directors of the Astronaut Scholarship Foundation. It is a nice single runway airport averaging 39 flights a day mostly general aviation with a few military flights thrown in. It has one row of hangers which will be created in Sketchup as will the terminal. As usual I will contact the airport manager and get all the questions I need answered to make it as accurate as possible. Watch this post.

The First Addition

I have some really good access from the road adjacent to the airport and could get a really good shot of the beacon. I created it in Sketchup and then added the red obstruction lights to it in MDCx though they aren't really visible with the bright beacon but that's ok. The tower is spot on since there is nothing like it in FSX's library. They are all for larger airports. I would like to have a smaller beacon but this is the only one available. If anyone can give me a smaller one I would really appreciate it and modify it.

A Good Day's Work

I spent today working on the first three hangers at Curtis L. Brown Jr. Field KEYF. At first glance from the air they appear identical but when you get down to the street level, there are distinct differences between the three. I have a shot from street level in Google Earth first. The doors are all down but I chose to have them open. Only two choices with no animation for them and I wasn't going to do SODE like I did in the previous hanger at Newnan-Coweta. Here are the two screen shots. See if you can spot the differences between the three from this photo. The furthest of the hangers has three doors roadside and security lamps on three sides; the middle hanger has two doors one on each end street side and the electrical panel on the left; and the third hanger, the closest one in the photo has two doors in the same locations as the middle one but the electrical panel is on the right. Hangers middle and closest ones have security lamps on the end, one on each side. It's like playing "Where In The World Is Waldo" to spot the differences. It's sometimes very difficult if Google Earth or Google Map Street level views are sparse. There are no apron side views. I am assuming those sides are just blank sided sides.

I can't believe how picture #1 above looks just like a photo of the real thing...

...on second look it is a picture. I need better glasses.

Is It Live...

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    I can't believe how picture #1 above looks just like a photo of the real thing...

...on second look it is a picture. I need better glasses.
    If you are old like me you remember casette tapes and the old commercial:

Is it LIVE or is it MEMOREX? The second shot is the airport in FSX above is a real photo I used as part of the creation in Sketchup, as well as Street level references. It has nice street references but unfortunately none from the taxiway side.

Here Is Today's Creation

I tried to create this in Sketchup with a rectangle and a jpeg texture from a shot in Google Earth and it worked. The fuel tanks are Sketchup objects as is the Phillips 66 Fuel Sign on a pole. This is the aerial view of that apron. I have the parking spots exactly positioned and there is a fuel trigger by the tanks. Good day's work. I have to just slightly tweak the alignment of the apron to line up. I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    If you are old like me you remember casette tapes and the old commercial:

Is it LIVE or is it MEMOREX? The second shot is the airport in FSX above is a real photo I used as part of the creation in Sketchup, as well as Street level references. It has nice street references but unfortunately none from the taxiway side.
    I also remember the tv commercial of the Opera star breaking the Champaign glass with her voice and then the tape did the same too! I think that if I looked hard enough I have some 8 tracks and a deck and some VHS tapes in a box in the basement!

Members who have read this thread: 0