iniBuilds P-40F WarHawk

Thread: iniBuilds P-40F WarHawk

That looks very good. It's always nice when a developer includes a modern 'warbird' version.

very nice!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

iniBuilds seem quite busy these days. I'm guessing they are contracting all of these aircraft out to other developers? I wonder if maybe this is the same model that was released for Flight Sim World, BlueSky FS did that version and then vanished off the face of the earth once FSW was killed off.

Anyways, the model looks nice and the listed features seem like it could be a worthwhile purchase, but other than their scenery they are a completely unknown quantity for me at this point. I guess I'll find out next Friday with the release of the 40th Anniversary Edition.

Hoping the infusion of cash from MS helps Inibuilds, Aeroplane Heaven, and Blackbird release even more stuff, because they do really nice work.

A bit bummed it's a P-40 since Big Radials' P-40B does a good job of satisfying that Jones, and there are so many warbirds still untouched. (Like... Every torpedo or dive bomber ever!) So I wish folks would work on entirely new airframes unless it's a situation where the current offerings are sub-par. (I'm sadly looking at you, Romantic Wings Zero...) Still, as I look at that natural metal P-40, yeah, I'm gonna buy this.

The best news is that's first in a new line. So many warbirds still left to do... Dauntless, Avenger, Helldiver, Bearcat, Duck, Kingfisher, Tempest, Typhoon, Hurricane, all the bombers, C-46 Commando, P-82, all the cool planes from the 50's and 60's...

Hmm, I always had a soft spot for the later P-40, especially an E model as I also like the Allison engine. This one comes quite close with the same menacing front end.

Going to wait and see how their system interpretation and pricing will turn out.
    i5 13600k, RTX2080 Super, 32 GB Ram, 2x1 TB M.2 SSDs, CRG9 49" Ultrawide screen

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    ... there are so many warbirds still untouched. (Like... Every torpedo or dive bomber ever!)
    I absolutely agree. I'm hoping that one day, Flying Iron might do an Avenger or Helldiver. Maybe Inibuilds will think about more warbirds in the future. I'd also love a Kawanishi H6K 'Mavis' and ShinMaywa US-2, but I'm not holding my breath. Avenger first, please.

It's quite clear that this is the same model that was originally in development for DCS many years back, which never came to pass, and ended up being released by Blue Sky FS for Flight Sim World instead. It would be nice to see a good amount of paint schemes that are actually correct to the P-40F and L variants, specifically. Of the 36 P-40s currently flying in the world, two are F models, and are the only two Merlin-powered variants of the P-40 flying today (there are no flying L models). The bare metal scheme is of course completely fictional as applied to the P-40F, as it is a pre-war Sate-side USAAC paint scheme as worn by one of the earliest variants of the P-40 (as the The Fighter Collection's P-40C is painted) - but there is at least one historical bare metal P-40L scheme that would be perfect for it. For me, the BigRadials P-40B/C offering leaves a lot to be desired, such as its incomplete cockpit and inaccurate paint scheme, thus I've never purchased it. I welcome another P-40, especially one that is a completely different variant - for me, I'd also still take an accurate/detailed P-40E, P-40K (my favorite), and P-40N too, each as separate products if need be, as they're all individually unique from one another.

Judy Pay's Pacific Combat-vet P-40F, which flies in Australia:

The Fighter Collection's P-40F, which flies from Duxford in the UK:

SOH-CM-2024
    I hope the military variants will have military pilots!

Caz

No matter how great it looks, i simply refuse to look at a P-40 that is flown by a sunday school teacher. I mean, how rediculous can it get ?...

(no offense meant to sunday school teachers. Just stay in your lane ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    No matter how great it looks, i simply refuse to look at a P-40 that is flown by a sunday school teacher. I mean, how rediculous can it get ?...
    (no offense meant to sunday school teachers. Just stay in your lane ;-)
    No worries Jan, only shows that you can have a default pilots, which includes now since the "Top Gun" addon also a jetfighter pilot.

Like this:

Really wished they also made some more WWII period pilot/avator. (Like FlyingIron includes in there plane).

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    It's quite clear that this is the same model that was originally in development for DCS many years back, which never came to pass, and ended up being released by Blue Sky FS for Flight Sim World instead.
    I thought so! I had no idea that was the same model that was being developed by VEAO for DCS though. I hope it's not the same developer. Do you think it's the same exact model being passed around or something licensed from somewhere like turbosquid or cgtrader?

Quote Originally Posted by mgr View Post
    No worries Jan, only shows that you can have a default pilots, which includes now since the "Top Gun" addon also a jetfighter pilot.
    Ah!Ok! Thanks Marcel !

Really wished they also made some more WWII period pilot/avator. (Like FlyingIron includes in there plane).
    Absolutely ! That modern mil pilot looks just about as out of place flying a WWII propfighter as a sundayschool teacher would (does look good though !). How hard can it be to give us an option to put a good looking era fitting pilot figure in there. Hopefully sooner or later. That 'Top Gun pilot figure is a good step forward in any case.

cheers,
    Jan

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    2 aircraft l would like to see in MSFS are a B-25 and a P-39. Maybe even a Lockheed Hudson/Lodestar or an Avro Anson thrown in for good measure.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Never been that into the Merlin P-40s, I think the cowl shape makes it the ugly duckling of the Hawk 87 series, but it's an interesting choice and one that I haven't been able to fly in a sim since the Iris product for FSX, which was decent for its time. I'm not a fan of the BR P-40B but we have good ones for P3D (A2A) and IL2 Tobruk, nice P-40D/Es also in Tobruk, and the Flight Replicas P-40N is superb in P3D and ports so nicely to MSFS that it is still one of my favorite warbirds there. The late F/L model slots in nicely there. I'll take a close look when it comes out.

August

Why have those two real world P-40Fs, pictured above, got different length fuselages ?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Why have those two real world P-40Fs, pictured above, got different length fuselages ?
    Early production P-40F's still had the short fuselage, while later production P-40F's had the lengthened fuselage. Judy Pay's (the green one) is one of the early ones, a P-40F-1-CU, that served with the 18th Fighter Group in the Pacific in 1942. The Fighter Collection's P-40F is a conversion, and is registered with the identity of a later P-40F that as I recall served with the 325th Fighter Group in 1943. I believe the P-40F's with the lengthened fuselage are essentially identical to the P-40L, and the paint scheme that the TFC's P-40F is painted in is that of a P-40L.

Early production P-40F's still had the short fuselage, while later production P-40F's had the lengthened fuselage. Judy Pay's (the green one) is one of the early ones, a P-40F-1-CU, that served with the 18th Fighter Group in the Pacific in 1942. The Fighter Collection's P-40F is a conversion, and is registered with the identity of a later P-40F that as I recall served with the 325th Fighter Group in 1943. I believe the P-40F's with the lengthened fuselage are essentially identical to the P-40L, and the paint scheme that the TFC's P-40F is painted in is that of a P-40L.
    Thank you. I'm a little surprised the lengthened ones weren't designated as a new and separate variant, given the major alteration.

There were short and long-tail P-40K's and M's too.

One thing I should correct about my last post, is that The Fighter Collection's late-model P-40F is actually a rebuild, not a conversion. I was going off of a memory that I had in which it was incorrectly reported early on that they had taken an existing P-40 airframe and converted it to a P-40F, but I found a conversation with one of the individuals that were involved with that project that stated that it was really a complete rebuild.

There were short and long-tail P-40K's and M's too.

One thing I should correct about my last post, is that The Fighter Collection's late-model P-40F is actually a rebuild, not a conversion. I was going off of a memory that I had in which it was incorrectly reported early on that they had taken an existing P-40 airframe and converted it to a P-40F, but I found a conversation with one of the individuals that were involved with that project that stated that it was really a complete rebuild.
    Thanks again for the info. I was down at Duxford a couple of weeks ago, mainly to see the recently acquired BAe 146 and the restored Victor B.1, but of course I also had a long wander round the Fighter Collection's hangar.

Members who have read this thread: 1