Bought a old laptop, but..

Thread: Bought a old laptop, but..

Bought a old laptop, but..

I bought a Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop for $20 off a online store. It worked when I received and turned it on. It has Linux Ubuntu on it (never had a computer with that OS), but I went to update it, and after it finished downloading, and went to reboot, now nothing happens. I push the ON button, and the hard drive whirs for about 8 seconds, and then nothing. I have a feeling I bricked it. NC

No idea about Linux but guessing OS is dead.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

If you have a Windows 7 or even a XP disk stashed away you might try reformatting the HD. I have the exact same laptop (bought mine used too) and it runs great with Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit.

Linux is free - so if the system still works at all, you should be able to reformat and reinstall. If the motherboard still works, tapping F1 while it boots should get you into the BIOS (maybe F2?). Also, in all likelihood, the whirring you hear is the fan. Most laptops come with SSD's now. Ubuntu is designed to be friendly to Apple users. If you prefer an interface closer to Windows, get Mint. It uses a taskbar and start menu at least somewhat similar to Windows.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Remove the battery

Unplug the AC Adapter

Press the power button and hold it down for 30 seconds.

Install the battery

Make sure the AC Adapter is plugged in (must be a Dell AC adapter or that could be a problem)

Press the power button

What happens from there please be detailed.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Additionally if the laptop has a removable cover on the bottom make sure the RAM is seated.

Loose RAM will cause normally a series of beep codes.

Also the update would not brick the device. It could break the boot process but no need to discuss that until we see what happens from above.

Blog Entries
    Geez. I was having the same trouble but unfortunately I done shot mine so none of these tricks can help me. The Native’s claim I’m touched by the Spirits in case anybody was wondering.

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    I've been around here a good while and I've never heard that before.

Ok, am making some progress. I didn't have a power.supply for it until today. When I received the laptop, it was 3/4 charged. Anyway, I did get it to boot, however, I do not have the login info. When I initially booted it, prior to updating Ubuntu, all I had to do then was enter "password". But now I am not able to gain access. I did some searching for answers, and found a thread that said to access " Grub", and from there into a Shell prompt? Found that, and entered a string that was supposed to show the username, but it did not. So am wondering if I could boot from the USB drive to load a fresh install somehow? NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Ok, am making some progress. I didn't have a power.supply for it until today. When I received the laptop, it was 3/4 charged. Anyway, I did get it to boot, however, I do not have the login info. When I initially booted it, prior to updating Ubuntu, all I had to do then was enter "password". But now I am not able to gain access. I did some searching for answers, and found a thread that said to access " Grub", and from there into a Shell prompt? Found that, and entered a string that was supposed to show the username, but it did not. So am wondering if I could boot from the USB drive to load a fresh install somehow? NC

Password is your girlfriends name and birthday otherwise you will forget and be in the doghouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    Password is your girlfriends name and birthday otherwise you will forget and be in the doghouse.

Yeah, well, no. Bought it off a online site, so doesn't apply.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Yeah, well, no. Bought it off a online site, so doesn't apply.
    Well as crazy as I am I feel like a genius. Somebody wanting to sell a laptop, phone etc should have it reset to factory default settings so all their stuff is gone and the new owner has t go through the setup process same as if it were a new laptop. In your case though why haven't you recontacted the seller and see if they still know what the password is after all they gave it to you once chances are they might still know it unless it wasn't originally theirs. Thing might be hotter than a Victoria Secret Modal you never know where these online sellers get their goods from. I had a truck roll up beside me the other day with a young man and woman wanting to sell me a Iphone 13 almost new. I don't fool with people like that myself.

Do you want to keep it Linux or go Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Do you want to keep it Linux or go Windows?
    I had considered putting Windows back on it, but decided to go with Linux Mint (Cinnamon). I changed the boot sequence so I could install via USB drive last night, and all went well. I am totally new to Linux, period. I managed to install a few apps via the Linux terminal, but for some reason, Brave browser won't install. NC

Run updates from the terminal

Linux Mint is a Debian variant so run

sudo apt update

Wait for it to finish then run

sudo apt upgrade

(yes I know you can run it all as one command line but I do it separately and have not memorized the other way. )

Then try to install the browser. I have never heard of that one but I would think it is some port of firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    Run updates from the terminal Linux Mint is a Debian variant so runsudo apt updateWait for it to finish then runsudo apt upgrade(yes I know you can run it all as one command line but I do it separately and have not memorized the other way. )Then try to install the browser. I have never heard of that one but I would think it is some port of firefox.
    I finally was able to install Brave browser (Beta), and everything is working perfectly. Thanks! NC

Members who have read this thread: 0