Rob's F9F Cougar!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob's F9F Cougar!

Rob's F9F Cougar!

Rob's been on a roll with awesome releases! Just found the F9F Cougar in the library! Grab it here!

Why is nobody else excited about one of the 50's coolest fighters? It's a lot prettier than the Vampire!*

Hoping Jankees does some of his magic here!

* No diss intended. I love the Vampire too.

DennyA, I am very excited about the Cougar. As soon as I saw your thread, it was downloaded immediately. Thanks a million for bringing it to our attention.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

I love first gen naval jets! Will definitely be downloading this!

It is a fine aircraft as always from Rob. I had ported over the FSX one but this is a nice improvement in appearance and functionality. I especially like the integration of the radios into the right console on this one.

August

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post

Hoping Jankees does some of his magic here!

Ok then:
    MT10(0001) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

MT10(0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

MT10(0004) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

MT10(0008) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

It's on fs.to, but I go on holiday tomorrow, so patience for more textures is needed...
    Last edited by jankees; October 27th, 2022 at 09:22.

Has anyone got the heading-hold to move ? The heading change is indicated in the tool tips, but nothing moves on the compass.

Have a great holiday, Jan Kees! Hope you're doing something really fun.

And thank you!

Would love to see the Blue Angels and the orange/white training liveries, if anyone is feeling "paint-ey!" Cees Donker did some nice versions for the FSX version of this plane, but looks like he hasn't joined us on the MSFS side.

Thanks Jan for the Marines textures. That will hold me till you get back. Off to download.

Tom
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Has anyone got the heading-hold to move ? The heading change is indicated in the tool tips, but nothing moves on the compass.
    Should the heading bug be in the lower half of the compass disc and not visible Just scroll the "heading hold" knob with mouse wheel and red heading bug will appear or throw the autopilot heading switch and the bug will centralize.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    Should the heading bug be in the lower half of the compass disc and not visible Just scroll the "heading hold" knob with mouse wheel and red heading bug will appear or throw the autopilot heading switch and the bug will centralize.

Rob

Dear God, I started drawing the state pension last week, but I didn't think senility would set in that quickly. Thanks, Rob - all sorted, and a beautiful aircraft too. Much enjoying the Barracuda also.

Any chance of a two-seater TF-9J in the future?

Lovely airplane!

Kent

Quote Originally Posted by ColoKent View Post
    Any chance of a two-seater TF-9J in the future?

Lovely airplane!

Kent
    I'm looking at it but don't hold your breath!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robcarrich View Post
    I'm looking at it but don't hold your breath!

Rob
    That's all we can ask...thanks Rob!

Kent

VF51 (0002) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

VF51 (0006) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

VF51 (0009) by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Great looking paints, Jan! You must wear out brushes by the dozens, or have you switched to "rattle-cans"?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

@ Rob,Jan Kees. Gentlemen, no criticism whatsoever just FYI, wingleading edges (and slats) usually are unpainted bare metal. Goes also for h- and vstab edges. Also usually not high polished as can be seen here :

Caged cougars in musea often show grey painted leading edges.

cheers,
    jan

more like this then?
    VF51 1 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr

VF51 2 by JanKees Blom, on Flickr
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.

Well, i'd say could be a tad or two darker still, Jan Kees. And, if possible, no shine or reflection so it looks like weathered bare metal.

Here's a very good representation of a resin 1/32 scale Cougar model by Darren Roberts.

For the leading edges he used Alclad Dark Aluminum, comes very close to what can be seen on photos of the Cougar. A very good example:

No doubt painting details of BUno.128082 might have changed during her career but here she is (F9F-6 Cougar) on the flightline at NAS Miramar 1953. F.i. the airintakes don't show the typical red warning signs, just all bare metal only.

If you might like the livery of the model above for a possible Cougar repaint, Jan Kees, here's a link to Darren Roberts Cougar page http://hsfeatures.com/features04/f9f8cougardr_1.htm

and also a link to the artwork by Stephen Mudgett http://www.hsgalleries.com/gallery04...rofilesm_1.htm

Btw, typically this all goes for the F9F Panther as well.

Hope this helps, Jan Kees.

Btw(2), that grey/white 203 looks fantastic !

Btw(3), does this model really have no jet pilot figure inside the cockpit ?....

cheers,
    jan

SOH-CM-2024

Cannot get the throttle on my Logitech 3D Pro to work with ?

Cannot get the throttle control on my Logitech 3D Pro to work with the Cougar or the Vampire! It works on all other aircraft. All other functions on the stick work. Any ideas mates, I'm puzzled?

Caz

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post

Btw(3), does this model really have no jet pilot figure inside the cockpit ?....

cheers,
    jan
    You just have to change the pilot to the military one in the options.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    You just have to change the pilot to the military one in the options.

Priller
    Don't have the model (yet), can you shoot us a screenie of the mil pilot ? Thanks !

Edit: scratch that, Priller, i saw the other screenshots of Jan Kees' repaints showing a mil pilot figure with white helmet. Great ! (that life preserver is contemporary but soit... ;-)

Z type flight suit, MK-2 life vest,H-1/4 flight helmet, US Navy MS22001 O2 mask, B8 Goggles, that's the deal in the 1950's for sea-going jets.

Last edited by Javis; November 6th, 2022 at 15:01.

I did a lot of work on the P3D version; as I recall the leading edges of the flying surfaces were painted with an aluminised anti-corrosion paint called (if memory serves) Corogard. It was used extensively on US Navy aircraft in the 50's, 60's and 70's, on both blue and grey/white schemes.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Have a great holiday, Jan Kees! Hope you're doing something really fun.

And thank you!

Would love to see the Blue Angels and the orange/white training liveries, if anyone is feeling "paint-ey!" Cees Donker did some nice versions for the FSX version of this plane, but looks like he hasn't joined us on the MSFS side.
    That I can do if Jan doesn't beat me to it. My problem is I cannot get the throttle to work. I had the same problem with the Vampire, but I got that fixed by simply removing the file and reinstalling. I have the same problem now with the at Simulation's Cri-Cri since the latest NVIDIA driver update. The throttle works fine on everything else, I am so perplexed.

Here's an old shot of my 1/72 Hasegawa F8F-8 Cougar in Blue Angels markings. I have a full set of Blue Angels aircraft in 1/72 scale, including the F7U-1 Cutlass (Gutless), the old Aurora model, which is box scale and comes closer to 1/70.

Caz

Members who have read this thread: 6