A fast, safe alternative to Chrome or Firefox

Thread: A fast, safe alternative to Chrome or Firefox

A fast, safe alternative to Chrome or Firefox

I switched to https://brave.com. It has a really good ad-blocker, is not bloated, and fast. When you download from Flightsim.to, and the counter has to run before the download actually starts, you will instantly notice a difference! Badabing!! Just try it and you will see.

When you visit YouTube, using Brave browser, NOT the YouTube app, you will no longer have to.suffer through the damn ads before watching a video.

Try Brave, I MOST highly recommend it!!

NC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I switched to https://brave.com. It has a really good ad-blocker, is not bloated, and fast. When you download from Flightsim.to, and the counter has to run before the download actually starts, you will instantly notice a difference! Badabing!! Just try it and you will see.

When you visit YouTube, using Brave browser, NOT the YouTube app, you will no longer have to.suffer through the damn ads before watching a video.

Try Brave, I MOST highly recommend it!!

NC
    I use Edge and AdGaurd. I get no Youtube ads.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

I guess I'm a mega-1337 gamer and I use OperaGX with a scriptblocker and an adblocker (whose name I forget at the moment) and its been great for me
    -building a new sig as you see this!-

For me, the biggest benefit is when I download from Flightsim.to. I download a LOT from that site. I cannot remember a day since that site came online, that I haven't downloaded at least a couple files. The wait time is reduced by probably 90%! NC

Chrome with an adblocker is good enough for me. I have an Android phone and the Google Assistant is a huge help. As for privacy, I don't care who knows what I'm doing, since none of it is illegal. And if Sundar Pichai wants to follow me to the club, I'll even introduce him to my favorite dancers. But he's buying the beer...
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

The best bet for downloading from FlightSim.to, I've found, is actually Windsailor.

It's cut my time in downloading/managing MSFS downloads by more than half. It downloads and extracts the files, and removes the previous version (as long as the creator doesn't change the folder name.) And if you use an Addons Manager, it can even remember that the Rotax goes in your \Planes folder, Majerle STOLport goes in your USA\WA folder, etc. when you download updates.

It's an enormous time saver if you don't just dump everything in the same Downloads or Community folder.

https://flightsim.to/file/18195/windsailor

I'm starting to dislike flightsim.to

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    Please expound further? Chief

Unless all you want is payware, you're pretty much stuck. He has the market cornered. Between, AvSim, FlightSim (the original .com site) and Simviation, authors used to have choices as to where they uploaded and could still be assured that their files would get attention. When MSFS first came out, there were a couple of other players in the freeware game, but those just don't have the traction of the .to page.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Ad blockers and privacy tools are going to be dead in 2023 for Chrome. Google is dumping the Manifest v2 API that they use. If you are using a Chrome based browser you need to check if your fork will keep Manifest v2 support.

Brave is keeping Manifest v2 support so Ad blockers and privacy tools will keep working on Brave past Jan 2023. How long they will be able to keep Manifest v2 is unknown so it may be time to disable auto updates of your browser and look into Firefox.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/09/...e_manifest_v3/
    https://www.ghacks.net/2022/09/29/br...ter-v3-update/
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Please expound further? Chief
    It becomes more laggy and sluggish by the day.
    And to be honest , i don,t like the constant nagging about them wanting me to disable my ad blocker.

It becomes more laggy and sluggish by the day.
    And to be honest , i don,t like the constant nagging about them wanting me to disable my ad blocker.
    I am not getting those nagging messages, using Brave.

I use Firefox and an ad blocker plugin; I think it is uBlock. The countdowns whiz by in a second, and there are no blocker nags. Nice to know there are alternatives, but mine ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.

August

Tried it, liked it, gonna keep it - thanks Navy Chief!

I use Edge with Adblock. Fastest experience I've ever had with a browser, even makes Chrome which it's based on feel slow. That said I have my adblock disabled for flightsim.to to support them. Never see YouTube ads though.

Well, I decided to give Brave a shot. So far, I like what I see. You can really tell that it's a tweaked Chrome when you start looking at things like downloads history and such, but the zippy countdown on the .to page is worth the time spent installing by itself!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

At this point any just about any browser besides Firefox is likely a Chromium based browser.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    At this point any just about any browser besides Firefox is likely a Chromium based browser.
    Yep, and paradoxically most of them are copyrighted.

That's what I love in Firefox: it's free, open source code, and makes me feel somewhat less "spied on".
    Firefox together with AdBlock works like a charm.

I have AdBlock on my Chrome, but every now and then something will slip through. The latest ad to get through on the .to site was highly offensive - at least to me. It featured an admitted criminal female rapper selling her merchandise with her mammaries nearly hanging out where there are quite probably kids browsing. I had considered whitelisting the site before that, but not now.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Firefox with Adblock and Noscript = The bees knees
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

Sorry to necro-post, but it turns out that Brave has done some sketchy stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_...#Controversies

Thanks to a user on the official forum, I switched out my nearly useless "AdBlock" blocker to Ghostery. It gets rid of every single ad on the .to site and runs the countdowns in a blink - just like the Brave browser, but without the risk of anything hinky going on.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Sorry to necro-post, but it turns out that Brave has done some sketchy stuff:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_...#Controversies

Thanks to a user on the official forum, I switched out my nearly useless "AdBlock" blocker to Ghostery. It gets rid of every single ad on the .to site and runs the countdowns in a blink - just like the Brave browser, but without the risk of anything hinky going on.
    Your post caused me to raise an eyebrow and think, what? I have always used Edge with Ad Guard. Until reading your post I never knew they had ads on FS2. I never saw them. As for the countdown timer, if I am trying to download more than one file I open each in its own window. I start the countdown timer in the first window, then go to another window and start it too. When finished I go back to the original download window and the timer is either finished or almost finished.

Besides, being retired, I can wait.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Firefox + Ghostery & uBlock Origin = all bases covered. I didn't realize just how bad Chrome had gotten until I switched back to Firefox about a year or so ago. Best of all, I can use those extensions on the mobile version of Firefox as well, unlike Chrome or most other mobile browsers.

Members +
    HB, Ca.-Seattle,Wa.-Fujieda-Shizuoka-Japan
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit 22H2 Build 19045.4123
    Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 (BIOS F-10)
    Core i7 3770K
    G-Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 CL7-8-8-24
    Asus RTX 2070 OC 8GB
    1TB Crucial MX500 SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    1TB RAW Mushkin SSD
    2TB PNY CS900 SSD
    LG Blue Ray Burner DL
    Rosewill mid tower Challenger
    Corsair RM 750 PSU
    Inateck KU5211 USB 3.2 Adapter
    LTERIVER PCE-G2S4 PCIe 4port SATA card
    X56 HOTAS
    Grassmonkey Joseph II Puck
    Oculus Quest 2
    TM 2x MFD Cougar
    T-Mobile Home Internet 5G (KDV21)

Just a quick post to say thanks for this discussion. I have made the switch away from Chrome and settled on Firefox with the suggested extensions and I'm quite happy with it compared to Chrome.

Members who have read this thread: 0