Reinstalling FSX after hard drive crash, need advice!

Thread: Reinstalling FSX after hard drive crash, need advice!

Reinstalling FSX after hard drive crash, need advice!

About 2 weeks ago the SSD hard drive (C/drive) with Windows 10 in it crashed and died. Fortunately, FSX was on another drive, (E/drive) a hybrid drive (SSHD). Everything in the FSX folder is intact, planes, programs, gauges, Orbx scenery, etc, and I also have an external drive which I use for storing stuff like photos, material and backups.
    A new SSD HD replaced the dead one, a reinstallation of Windows 10, etc and the PC is back up and running again.
    In FSX some of the installed payware aircraft, scenery, DX10, Flight1, Orbx, etc, had links to C/ drive wiped out in the hard drive crash. Because I thought it would be complicated, I decided that I would install a brand new FSX and start over again, which I've done. It's just vanilla at the moment, haven't got around to reinstalling scenery and aircraft yet. I thought I would ask on here for some advice first before going any further.

Here are the options for me to consider. What I would like to know is....

1. Is it still possible to save the existing FSX if I repair and restore things? At the moment this box comes up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	88612

Or is it better to start fresh again?

If I'm better off to start fresh again here are these options,

1. Is it possible to transfer most of the old FSX over to the new FSX?

2. Would it possible to copy over the existing Orbx files to the new installation, or would I have to go online to install them again? Orbx Central was on the C/drive that downloaded directly into FSX on the E/drive.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mrogers View Post
    Would it possible to copy over the existing Orbx files to the new installation, or would I have to go online to install them again? Orbx Central was on the C/drive that downloaded directly into FSX on the E/drive.
    At some point I think you will have to go online to Orbx to (at least) insure your Orbx account is pointing to your new FSX install location and not the old one. Sorry I can't help more but I'm interested in reading other responses to your post. I'm currently running FSX-SE and I'm thinking of reverting back to disk-based FSX Accel.

Personally I have the feeling it is always better to make a fresh start again. Perhaps you can copy your aircraft, effects, sounds and gauges directories, but in general Windows likes to make entries in its registry and often things don't work very smooth without them.

I don't know how it will work with ORBX as you might need to uninstall, before you can reinstall. And with a fresh start that could be tricky.

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub, do you mean uninstalling and reinstalling Orbx?

I've just been over to Orbx support and posted an email so I'm waiting for their response. Perhaps I could point Orbx Central to the new location, but I'll wait for their advice first and go from there.

Yes, I think it would be best to start fresh again. I can of course move the aircraft, gauges, effects, and others over to the new FSX, and I can easily reinstall most of the payware stuff, but Orbx is a bit more complicated.

Tarpsbird, my FSX is a FSX Deluxe/Acceleration CD install, and I again had to go through hoops to make it all work, like reinstalling C++files, .net files, and the partmgr thing in the registry, all those things that Windows 10 didn't have. Had to do all that when I first got a brand-new Windows 10 some years ago. Sorry if that puts you off!!

Edit: I've just had a response from Orbx, "FSX doesn't support using external libraries, you would need to redownload and install your products back into FSX using Orbx Central. "
    Last edited by mrogers; October 17th, 2022 at 16:45.
    Mark

I'm on the same road to Misery as the above poster, although my problem started with a Steam update error that I could not clear. I've had no real prior issues with my set-up but a re-load with all of the upgrades* that made it a terrific application now seems like a daunting task. So, I'm thinking that my time might be better spent on another project, to be determined. *(Steam, FSX, DX10 Fixer, a bunch of ORBX, FSUIPC, dozens of aircraft and add-on sceneries (Thanks, SOH members!), and so-on).

My FSX is back up and running...slowly reinstalling the add-ons one by one and transferring files from the old FSX but I'm in no hurry. Following Orbx's advice I'm re downloading the sceneries one by one, again I'm in no hurry. It's coming back together really well and certainly with a fresh install and starting over again does have its benefits, its running well, probably better than before. It was not bad, re installing Orbx was fairly straightforward and easy, nothing to worry about really. After all the aircraft, gauges, files etc have been transferred over to the new FSX I'll safely delete the old FSX to free up space.

It probably doesn't happen often to people to have a total crash like this happen and then to have to start again, I don't know, maybe more than I think? In any case it's a huge pain when that happens especially when you've put a lot of time and effort into building up your flightsim with add-ons, aircraft, made adjustments etc. In the 22 years (yes, 22 years) I've had flight simulators it has only happened to me about three times before, either through a failed hard drive or getting a new computer, mostly the latter.

Downwind, there's light at the end of the tunnel, take one thing at a time and you'll get back there. Don't rush, take your time.
    Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0