TOW book: Instruments of Darkness

Thread: TOW book: Instruments of Darkness

TOW book: Instruments of Darkness

For the TOW crowd (if you haven't got already on your nightstand):

https://archive.org/details/instrume...-1945/mode/2up

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

My thoughts exactly. I have never been sure of how to activate 100 Gp counter measures. We do have 'windows' and I have yet to check how that works with Steve's radar and fighter control for Nactjagd. Even things like 'Monica', I don't think we can replicate. Having 100 Gp spoofing LW Fighter Control also seems difficult. I suppose a spawn 'radio' message in German might be possible. So far I would be happy to just get good working radio beacons.......

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Talking of 'window', I note this is an aircraft. What would it take to change it to a weapon?

window.zip

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

parachute flares

look at how these flares are made in MAW and , well no. Only airplanes, bases ships etc display with radar. So not sure even if you made a weapon to drop, that it would display. Spawning I think is the better way to use.

That's what I did before. I need to check how it looks on the TAC display and if they show up on Steve's radar and fighter control. Something in the 'to do' list!

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    I just ordered a copy, as a treat to myself.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

It's a good technical resource, but really has nothing in the way of "war stories" to compliment that information with what the actual operational experience was like. (e.g. After hours of circling I finally saw a blip appear on the scope. Closing in, the dim outline of a target appeared, and as I was about to fire I realized that it was another friendly who had mistakenly drifted into my patrol area, so I broke off my attack run. Suddenly, I was attacked from behind by an AI equipped Mosquito, and...) Looking at the statistics provided one might conclude that the entire airborne intercept effort at night was a frustrating waste of time and resources for the Germans who never really figured it out.

Their one strategy that seemed to work, direct interdiction at the British home bases similar to the early Battle of Britain, was quickly prohibited by senior leadership for undisclosed reasons.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    ...Their one strategy that seemed to work, direct interdiction at the British home bases similar to the early Battle of Britain, was quickly prohibited by senior leadership for undisclosed reasons.
    I can imagine senior leadership not wanting the technology falling into British hands when shot down or meeting mishaps like balloon cables over Britain in the dark.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Members who have read this thread: 0