Sell me on MSFS! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sell me on MSFS!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbatc View Post
    Hi, I'm a current private pilot and ATCer in the real world. I've used Microsoft sims since FS5.0 - I've also heavily used X plane 10 and 11 (and own 12 but it has some ways to go yet).

I use MSFS often - it's almost the only sim I fly. With XP12 released I have been tinkering in that and doing some beta work. I also once in a blue moon fly DCS - F16 and AH64.

There are a few quirks and annoyances still with MSFS. Ground handling is still not good. The moment you touch down it still feels like paper airplanes....especially in a crosswind. I feel like one has to be on the rudder pedals so much in MSFS that for me it would almost compare to real world tail dragger ops. It's literally a dance even with a small crosswind like 10 knots in almost every addon I own (and yes that is a lot haha - I'm all in when it comes to MSFS). There are a few addons like the highly regarded SWS Kodiak that seem to handle it fine. You should buy this one lol.

Weather - generally speaking, pretty good. Has gotten a LOT better in recent months. Especially when they started implementing METARs. Before this you'd get a cloud "layer" that doesn't at all represent the real world. Or just in general the weather was way off from real world. It's closer now. Clouds look decent from medium ranges -up close can be a little detail lacking but it's fine.

ATC - frankly the AI and ATC is step back from FSX/P3D. I never use in-sim ATC because I work ATC and I can't stand how terrible it is. (It wasn't great in FSX but I believe it was better than this). Just recently a freeware pack for basic AI was released and it's decent: https://www.fslivetrafficliveries.com/

Addon aircraft - yes there are quite a few but there is a WIDE range of quality hehe. Highest end would be Fenix A320, PMDG 737's, Milviz C310, Flysimware C414, SWS Kodiak and RV14, (freeware FBW A320). Carenado is in the middle again - their Mooney and Seneca are okay - fun for exploring....pretty much like FSX standards but visually nicer. Just Flight Arrows maybe more on the high end. Tons of aircraft on this list. Typically the higher on the list the better: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ft/507204/1763

Plenty of freeware aircraft, and scenery and other misc addons here: https://flightsim.to/ (it'll be your go-to site once you buy MSFS)

Yeah as I said I'm all in - I love supporting the developers and have spent a lot of my hard earned income so far on addons. You don't have to spend money on anything if you don't want to. I'd recommend the Premium Deluxe which will contain a few extra aircraft but also the Citation Longitude which will be getting a freeware mod shortly to make it quite detailed.

Get all the Working Title stuff too (google that)

Just wanted to add 5 of my very favorite screenshots (all mine)

xpqtthl0skb91 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Untitled-24 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

(The TDS GTN 750 Xi which I highly recommend in the FSW C414)
    Untitled-18 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Untitled-12 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr

Untitled-15 by Ryan Butterworth, on Flickr
    Spectacular shot! So clear!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Figures, I say something nice and now the game won't load. Crashes on launch and I can't get it to reinstall either.

EDIT: Apparently it didn't like one of my peripherals apps - Corsair, Logitech, or Razr. I shut them all down and now it launches.

A couple more addons you might want to take a look at are the Islander from BlackBox and the Kodiak from SWS. Both are available at all the usual sources, and except for a minor niggle or two, they're brilliant addons.
    Thermaltake H570 TG Tower
    X670 Aorus Elite AX motherboard
    AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 12-Core Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Appreciate the suggestions, Tom!

So how do I do screenshots and remove the hud in 3rd person?

Screenshots aren't built into the sim like the were in FSX, so either the Xbox Game Bar screen shooter or any other of your choice will work.

The HUD options are under Options > Assistance Options > User Experience - there's a toggle for both interior and exterior.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    Screenshots aren't built into the sim like the were in FSX, so either the Xbox Game Bar screen shooter or any other of your choice will work.

The HUD options are under Options > Assistance Options > User Experience - there's a toggle for both interior and exterior.
    But they are built into Windows Tom. All one has to do is hold the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and then hit Print Screen. A screenshot is then taken and saved in a folder in Pictures called Screenshots.

Caz

Copyright © Bill Campbell is the creator of the Weird-ohs
    ... is hold the Windows key (between Ctrl and Alt) and then hit Print Screen
    That is good to know Cazzie.

I've always did a screenshot by hitting PrtScrn and then opening up Microsoft Paint and saving it to my Saved Pictures folders. Too bad that MSFS does not have the good ol' "V" key that like FSX and P3D had to do that for us.
    Now things will be a lot simpler for me, I'll just add the Windows key to PrtScrn.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CybrSlydr View Post

So how do I do screenshots
    Fraps works fine for me.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameOut View Post
    That is good to know Cazzie.

I've always did a screenshot by hitting PrtScrn and then opening up Microsoft Paint and saving it to my Saved Pictures folders. Too bad that MSFS does not have the good ol' "V" key that like FSX and P3D had to do that for us.
    Now things will be a lot simpler for me, I'll just add the Windows key to PrtScrn.
    Using the Windows key + Print Screen eliminates having to stop whatever you're doing and opening Paint. You can edit the screenshot later in the graphics editor of your choice.

Caz, who used to use paid FRAPS too, but that program has long outlived its time and I just consider it bloatware and yet another program open while your sim is running.

I'm aware of the Win+PS combo, but unless you have a 20 year old keyboard, that requires two hands. I have a single-hand key combo programmed into the Game Bar so that I don't have to take my hand off the stick to grab a shot.
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

SOH-CM-2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clayton View Post
    I'm aware of the Win+PS combo, but unless you have a 20 year old keyboard, that requires two hands. I have a single-hand key combo programmed into the Game Bar so that I don't have to take my hand off the stick to grab a shot.
    Tom, I have carpel tunnel in my right hand, I HAVE to remove it from the stick and shake it on occasion. But I usually get my planes trimmed out so they fly smooth and level, so I can take my hand off. It happens driving too, but I can substitute the left hand there.

Caz

I fly mostly GA with Otto at the helm, so I can relax most of the time. The only time I'm white-knuckling the controller on a Grand Canyon run!
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
    NZXT Kraken X cooler
    32GB DDR5 RAM
    750 Watt PS
    Windows 11 Home

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazzie View Post
    Caz, who used to use paid FRAPS too, but that program has long outlived its time and I just consider it bloatware and yet another program open while your sim is running.
    The freeware vresion uses 21.1 mb of memory on my pc, never gave me any problems with FS and you can take shots with one key press.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Windows has built-in screenshot functionality for games nowadays with the Windows Game Bar (Win-G), so no need to run anything. Just hit Win-Alt-PrtScreen. Win-G brings up the interface, and you can access the folder where it saves (Videos\Captures) from there.

Makes a pretty decent co-pilot.

Members who have read this thread: 0