Paul Clawson's Fokker F.XX "Zilvermeeuw"

Thread: Paul Clawson's Fokker F.XX "Zilvermeeuw"

Paul Clawson's Fokker F.XX "Zilvermeeuw"

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FS 2004 Civilian propeller skins

Description: Thank you for downloading this aircraft entry into the Platinum Wings series of improvements and changes to the FS2004 world to enable a vintage and classic era to come back to our simulated, aeronautical world.

This is the F.XX airliner by Paul Clawson updated with new panel, textures, and flight characteristics.

The following are the changes:

1. Updated textures with colors matching RAL Standard colors (Classic listing) that approximate what can be found online for the shades of colors used by KLM at the time. Not exact, but close enough.

2. New, full flight-deck using the gauges from the KeDI gauges package by Hauke Keitel as updated by Mike Vader and Dwight Furleigh. Not meant to be a historical layout, but rather a functional layout with common "6-pack" more familiar to pilots.

3. Fixed the generator gauges so that they match what comes up in the dialogue for selection in FSPanel Studio (i.e., generator 1 for engine 1, 2 for 2, and 3 for 3) and updated the tool-tips to match.

4. Created Com2, Nav2, and ADF2 radios based on the included EK1, EL1, and SK1 radios. Tool-tips for those gauges have also been updated to match. The KeDI radios now have the ability to have "1" and "2" capable COM, ADF, and NAV radios. Radios across the top in this package are "1" while those across the bottom are "2" radios.

5. Added the GPS500 from the default FS9 GPS as well as the "Flugkart" from the KeDI gauges that can allow the user to input distance in KM along with wind information in order to get a desired track for longer range navigation.

6. Flight dynamics based on available information for the aircraft (which isn't much) and entered into the aircraft.cfg file. Uses the default DC-3 air file for a base, and all changes to the dynamics are done solely in the cfg file so that it handles somewhat more like an airliner and not a fighter.

7. 2D panel matches the full flight deck in the VC since the VC was the primary source of gauge placement which was then transferred to the 2D panel.

8. Ability to fly full IFR if so desired from the 2D or VC panels, but primarily meant to be flown from the VC.

9. Active Camera Profile included with positions for the Pilot, IFR Pilot, Co-Pilot, IFR Co-Pilot, and pseudo Flight Engineer between the seats.

10. Sound is aliased to the Lockheed Vega to keep the download size down. I personally use the sound-set by Gary Jones for the Shvetsov Ash-65 (M-65), Soviet radial for the Antonov An-2 since it was a license-produced Wright R-1820. I thought it would be a fine substitute, but there are R-1820 sound packages available out there that can be used as well. It's just a matter of taste.

Full info and installation instructions included in the readme file

Enjoy!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Paul Clawson's Fokker F.XX "Zilvermeeuw"
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Nice update! Thanks very much! Hopefully someone manages to put a pilot-figure in the cockpit.... And maybe some passengers?

hertzie.

Thanks Jorge,

A long time ago I asked Paul whether he could do this aircraft. And he did, however the model was quite basic when Paul considered it finished. The F.XX was the end of an era when Fokker still tried to keep up with the developments (like the DC2 and the Boeing 247), maintaining his own concept of fabric covered planes with wooden wings. However although performance was quite reasonable and there were still other aircraft companies using the same concept, nobody was really interested in the Fokker F.XX anymore. The plane was sold to the Spanish Republican government and crashed in 1938.

(Paul had something with the Netherlands and especially with Grolsch beer (Dutch beer with a very specific taste)).

Nevertheless better to have a basic F.XX instead of none. So I was quite pleased with the model and it has been used as AI in some scenery, for which the model is of course perfect.

But I'm glad to see somebody picked up this model and added some additional details. Like Erik (Hertzie) I hope somebody is capable and willing to add at least a flight crew.

Cheers,
    Huub

Thanks guys!

I did what I could. Some of these old models update well, while others aren't so lucky. I've been able to give Paul's B-7 bomber a static VC by following Erwin's tutorials, but that's about it. I've tried doing something with the textures on that one as well, so hopefully in a week or so I'll know whether that one is worth releasing or not.

Same for the updates I did for the Altair, albeit without the static VC since that one didn't update well.

I don't know as much about messing around with models as Shessi or Allen do (or the B-24 Guy, for that matter). I know it's a matter of SCASM, if I'm not mistaken.

There's also a great tutorial available for MCX if you want to go that route instead. It goes over the process to make a model FSX compatible so you can add the interior details using MCX and then fix the animations, but it's way beyond me.

Besides, it's for FSX and not FS9. I'm not sure there's a way to change or add or delete things for FS9 like you can for FSX with MCX. If there was a way to do that for FS9, I would love to tackle Paul's B-18 so I could get the engines to turn independently. Maybe even put the bomb bay doors to the main exit instead of the spoilers.

As for dutch beer, well, let's just say I've only tried it twice. Once was in Korea over twenty years ago. Our group stopped at Yongsan Garrison on our way out east to a place called Wonju for our tour. The second was on a cruise ship called the Maasdam about ten years ago. Surprisingly, I didn't think Grolsch tasted as bad as it sounds!

Jorge
    Miami, FL

Members who have read this thread: 1