New Hi-Poly Spitfire in the works - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New Hi-Poly Spitfire in the works

This is exciting.

I am surprised about the dual mag, since the two magnetos' circuits are not fully independent and share common points points of failure. I know designing redundancy into aircraft has become a lot more intentional since then, but this surprises me for a combat aircraft even at that time. Really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    This is exciting.

I am surprised about the dual mag, since the two magnetos' circuits are not fully independent and share common points points of failure. I know designing redundancy into aircraft has become a lot more intentional since then, but this surprises me for a combat aircraft even at that time. Really interesting.
    The goal with the Griffon originally was to run as many ancillaries up front near the gearbox as was possible; the Griffon and Merlin are almost exactly the same physical dimensions despite the 10L increase in displacement - thanks to a lot of clever engineering.

It appears I was wrong; they stuck with the single dual Mag even in the later models!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20230710-211919.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	784.3 KB 
ID:	91306

A single dual magneto? Errr… The Griffon used a BTH CSH12-12S/4 dual magneto which afaik has each magneto on a separate drive shaft. Rolls-Royce for some reason forgot that precaution with a later engine fitted to the early Westland Wyverns where the two magnetos were on a common drive shaft, so shaft failure knackered both mags.

The Wyvern’s 3500hp Eagle engine is in the Fleet Air Arm Museum at Yeovilton, fitted to the prototype aircraft on exhibition. It’s a monster.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

What's all this then?

The panel lines match up exactly!

If I had known mapping was so simple I'd have attempted it much earlier! This is just a test of course; in the final model the vertices at the top and bottom will be mapped separate so as to remove the distortion - as will it all be of a higher resolution. I am very glad with how the fuselage sides are looking however!

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding ! Great work !

Quote Originally Posted by lythronax View Post
    What's all this then?

The panel lines match up exactly!

If I had known mapping was so simple I'd have attempted it much earlier! This is just a test of course; in the final model the vertices at the top and bottom will be mapped separate so as to remove the distortion - as will it all be of a higher resolution. I am very glad with how the fuselage sides are looking however!

Looking very good, the better that map is, the better the finished texture will be! Yep, be careful of stretching, but from what you mentioned I think you have that covered!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    Looking very good, the better that map is, the better the finished texture will be! Yep, be careful of stretching, but from what you mentioned I think you have that covered!
    Bear in mind I am most assuredly NOT a texture artist! I'll be needing pointers from the experts as to all the tips and tricks and SDK/model file hacks I want to get as realistic a bump and specular map as possible figured out.

What's nice about texturing now is that you can rely on AnKor's shaders to take care of dynamic shading changes as the aircraft moves through space, so you don't have to (and shouldn't) artificially add darkening to the "underside" surfaces.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Work is continuing at a fair pace! Most recently I've been messing around with normal maps in GIMP to test the various parameters.

I've also been messing around with measurements and I think I've got my final version of the short Griffon nose!

For someone claiming not to be a texture artist you sure deliver fine work, Lythronax!!

This model looks more than excellent! Is that last screenie taken in Gmax? Am I looking at a bump map visible in Gmax? It sure looks so to me. If so, nice! How did you turn that on?

ACC Member, ETO and PTO contributor & librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    For someone claiming not to be a texture artist you sure deliver fine work, Lythronax!!

This model looks more than excellent! Is that last screenie taken in Gmax? Am I looking at a bump map visible in Gmax? It sure looks so to me. If so, nice! How did you turn that on?
    Thank you very much! Still a lot to learn. The screenshots are renders taken in 3ds max! I'll be doing the actual mapping and texture work in Gmax using the LithUnwrap method.

Blog Entries
    Looking great ! Thank you so much !

Blog Entries
    How are they coming along ? Excited about some new Spitfires. One of my all time favorites ! Thank you for all the work. Looks impressive ! Regards, Scott

Members who have read this thread: 2