NJG and tracer rounds

Thread: NJG and tracer rounds

NJG and tracer rounds

I am just thinking as to whether the LW and the NJG in particular used tracer rounds at all, or more limited use, in night time operations. I currently have no data on that, but in any case how would one change that in CFS3? I assume some element of the weapon xdp and or effects.

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    I am just thinking as to whether the LW and the NJG in particular used tracer rounds at all, or more limited use, in night time operations. I currently have no data on that, but in any case how would one change that in CFS3? I assume some element of the weapon xdp and or effects.
    I tried to research this once on the internet and came to the conclusion that night fighters did not use tracer rounds. The brightness would have given the pilots some night blindness and the enemy rear gunners a target to shoot at.
    I eliminated tracers in my night fighters by adjusting the Tracer entry to 0 (Tracer="0") in the Gun Stations lines at the top of the aircraft xdp file. Turns off the tracers in that aircraft, but still works in others.

Thanks for that! I'll check that out. BTW I wonder if the tracer number relates to tracer frequency,or the total number of tracers in that gun?

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Tracer use

James,

The NJG did use tracers albeit at about 10-15%. However, it was a pilot's choice as to the amount if any. Given that large amount of attacks were below and behind, seeing the tracer was not a major concern. As for the RAF, many gunners did not want tracers as they felt it would reveal their position. In most cases intercepts were made from 100-150 meters so tracers for aiming was rather unnecessary. The source of my explanations comes from reading several of the personal accounts and diaries in books. I am not certain about the RAF's nightfighters though not much said about this.

That is why most of my planes (NJG) have tracers set to 10-15%. If I use the AVHistory method of guns, then I can set each gun at a different rate and load different ammunition types (HE, AP, or Incendiary), but this needs to be designed into the model- not sure if you can hexedit this...hmmm. This adds to the fun!

Pauke Pauke!

So in the (NJG) xdp's I have mainly set cannon tracer=0 but often left MGs at tracer=5. Maybe Schragemusik tracer=0 or 5. I have yet to look at RAF NF, or more appropraitely RAF Intruders.

WRT " If I use the AVHistory method of guns, then I can set each gun at a different rate and load different ammunition types (HE, AP, or Incendiary), but this needs to be designed into the model- not sure if you can hexedit this...hmmm. This adds to the fun!" you will have to say more, i.e. how if you want me or others to play around.

Quote Originally Posted by NachtPiloten View Post
    James,

The NJG did use tracers albeit at about 10-15%. However, it was a pilot's choice as to the amount if any. Given that large amount of attacks were below and behind, seeing the tracer was not a major concern. As for the RAF, many gunners did not want tracers as they felt it would reveal their position. In most cases intercepts were made from 100-150 meters so tracers for aiming was rather unnecessary. The source of my explanations comes from reading several of the personal accounts and diaries in books. I am not certain about the RAF's nightfighters though not much said about this.

That is why most of my planes (NJG) have tracers set to 10-15%. If I use the AVHistory method of guns, then I can set each gun at a different rate and load different ammunition types (HE, AP, or Incendiary), but this needs to be designed into the model- not sure if you can hexedit this...hmmm. This adds to the fun!

Pauke Pauke!
    I defer to NachtPiloten's knowledge on this and stand corrected.

I believe I have read that the Schrage Musik guns were typically loaded with a special kind of tracer which only emitted a faint glow which was fairly difficult to see unless the round was flying away from you.

Kurier auf Stube...pauke! NachtPiloten's Avatar

Tracer number

The number is the percent of the rounds that are tracers. I have not read or just don't recall the faint tracer option for the upward firing guns. Could be true. We could model that by altering the brightness of the tracers for the guns. Hmmm...just another item to the to do list.

Members who have read this thread: 1