FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109

FlyingIron Simulations Bf-109

The next one, looks like G-6. FlyingIron appears to have taken the lead of Warbirds for MSFS, that is what A2A once did, but now they fully oversleeped the release of MSFS ...

Last edited by YoYo; August 2nd, 2022 at 02:43.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Very nice!
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Oow yes
    Thats gonna take my money.

I would have preferred a Bf-109E-3, but I'll settle for a G-6!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Coincidentally, this year's EAA AirVenture Oshkosh WWII Grand Champion award-winner is a Bf 109G-6, WkNr.410077, registered as N42109, which is owned by Bruce "Doc" Winter. It was restored over a ten-year period, with incredible accuracy and attention to detail, by Midwest Aero Restorations. Unlike the majority of the other '109s flying, this isn't a Spanish-built Buchon, but a true, original, Erla-manufactured Bf 109G-6. This aircraft originally served with Stab IV/JG54 on the Eastern Front (hence the yellow lower cowl, fuselage band and lower wingtips). Although its original pilot remains unknown, it was marked with a chevron and circle, indicating that the aircraft was assigned to the technical officer of the Gruppe staff flight. It was involved in a forced landing on the frozen Lake Swiblo in February 1944, after having been severely damaged by Russian flak, and finally recovered in 1990 following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Every detail about the restoration, down to the paint scheme, paint and anodized finishes, the stenciling, all details of the cockpit and interior confines, all hardware and fittings, even the re-manufactured rivets, is accurate to how it would have been in early 1944.

Photos by my Warbird Digest colleague, James Church:

Cockpit photos by Taigh Ramey. Every detail is accurate to the way it would have been in February 1944 (including the vacant spaces on the left of the instrument panel).

Other details (photos by Taigh Ramey):

A close-up of one of the original gust locks, as used during WWII. You can see stenciling on the aileron/flap joints, as well as on the tail fins/elevators/rudder, where these exact gust locks were meant to be attached when used.

In this photo you can see how the aircraft is configured for normal flight operation, with the faux armament panel removed, revealing the modern Becker avionics. The gun sight was removed during the time this photo was taken, as it was still undergoing flight testing.

Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 2nd, 2022 at 12:01.

Photos by Raymond Cunningham:

Photo by Unit2345. Note the authentic whitewall tailwheel tire - if I remember correctly, that was to indicate that the aircraft was electrically grounded.

Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 2nd, 2022 at 11:28.

Beautiful pics , John.
    I really enjoyed those.

Yep. great set of nice photos, thx for showing it to us.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It is an incredible restoration, and I think a perfect example for FlyingIron to follow/reference.

Here are some early engine test runs and taxi test videos, with great sound. For practicality, it has an electric motor installed to drive the inertia starter (like all of the other DB-powered 109s flying today). If I remember right, the DB 605 in this one is the seventh that has been overhauled by Mike Nixon's company in California.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcc-Lf_imco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKSo0UJp6ig

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdD2QMX8jKQ

Some videos of the aircraft in-action, with great sounds, flown by its owner, Bruce "Doc" Winter. Doc also owns the incredible P-51D "Happy Jack's Go Buggy", which was also restored for him by Midwest Aero. Doc himself is a former US Navy F/A-18 pilot, and is a current USAF Heritage Flight pilot, flying his P-51. He does a masterful job flying '109.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1435127253580395

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=365590392229878

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=783844709438221

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=722876968940518

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=774299743598157

It was interesting to listen to Doc Winter and Doug Griffin speak at AirVenture last week about what it is like to fly the Bf 109G. They both said it isn't the monster it is so often described to be on takeoff/landing. According to Doc Winter, one of the only bad points about operating the Bf 109G is that it gets hot very quickly on the ground, very much like the early marque Spitfires. It has to have an extended cooling off period, upwards of an hour or more, once you return from a flight before you can fly it again.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
    The next one, looks like G-6. FlyingIron appears to have taken the lead of Warbirds for MSFS, that is what A2A once did, but now they fully oversleeped the release of MSFS ...

Looks very nice, indeed !

I wonder what A2A is planning to do ? They put out the best modeled aircraft for my FSX and now nothing seems to be in the pipeline for MSFS.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Looks very nice, indeed !

I wonder what A2A is planning to do ? They put out the best modeled aircraft for my FSX and now nothing seems to be in the pipeline for MSFS.
    Commanche as the first, no any warbird and long way still, pity.

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    Other than bringing some of their warbirds from FSX into P3D, for a number of years they seemed to refocus almost completely on, better-selling, civilian aircraft. They have announced and shown screenshots of what will be their first MSFS product, the Comanche. They were also involved with doing some of the work on the Asobo/Microsoft Reno Air Races addon, and it wouldn't surprise me if there would be more projects like that in the pipeline which we won't know anything about/involvement-in until such products are released.

For Marcel, or anyone else connected with FlyingIron who might see this thread, I have continued to upload some more detail photos of the restored Bf 109G-6 WkNr.410077 (N42109) to my Flickr page, and if there are any other details you're wanting to know about, just let me know.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194034007@N07

Thanks John - what an amazing aircraft . The restoration teamsaround the world seemingly raise the bar higher and higher with every project we see come to fruition! Pretty nerve wracking to be entrusted with flying these gems too... The sound of that DB engine is amazing.

oh this reminds me of the ol' Shift+F1 deal

so.. 2 weeks be sure?

I'm also a bigger fan of the Emil's than the Gustav's but that 3D airframe looks spectacular!
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post

Priller
    Same here!

Cees

There's something about the 109G that really appeals to me. I find the E a bit angular (but I hope someone does make one...), the F almost too clean and elegant (ditto...) but the Gustav simmers with menace - compact, lean, mean, and every inch a fighter. My heart will go straight to my wallet, the brain doesn't get a say!

My personal favorite variant has always been the Bf 109G-2, simply because of "Black 6". Growing up seeing video and photos of that one flying from Duxford in the 90s, it just instantly became for me what a Bf 109 should look like, in all details.

As of right now, there are twelve active/flying Bf 109s and Buchons in the world:

- In Germany, there is the rebuilt Bf 109G-6 WkNr. 440738 D-FMGS (DB 605-powered), Buchon D-FMBB configured as a Bf 109G-6 (DB 605-powered), Buchon D-FMGV configured as a Bf 109G-14 (DB 605-powered), two-seat Buchon D-FMGZ originally restored as a Bf 109G-12 (Merlin-powered), and Buchon G-AWHM (Merlin-powered).

- In the United Kingdom, there are three Buchons - the two-seat G-AWHC, as well as G-AWHH and G-AWHK - all Merlin-powered.

- In the United States, there is the restored Bf 109G-6 WkNr. 410077 N42109 (DB 605-powered), Buchon N109GY configured as a Bf 109G-4 (DB 605-powered), Buchon N90602 configured as a Bf 109G-10 (Allison-powered), and Buchon N109TS/ex-G-AWHR (Merlin-powered).

At this time there are no flying Bf 109E variants. Bf 109E-3 WkNr. 1342 N342FH in the US hasn't flown since before the closure of the Flying Heritage Museum in 2020, and Bf 109E-7 WkNr. 3579 G-CIPB in the UK hasn't flown since 2018. In Germany, Bf 109E-7 WkNr. 1983 "Red 12" was fully completed to airworthy as of 2018 and taxi-tested, but it has not yet flown, as its DB 601 was later removed and has continued to undergo further rework/testing at Manching (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko4T7CH7DtI). MeierMotors in Germany has been busy rebuilding two Bf 109Es to fly - the Spanish Civil War Bf 109E-1 "6-88/C.5-88" and the Yugoslavian AF Bf 109E-3 WkNr. 2372 - both being accurately restored with the early curved canopy. The Virginia-based Military Aviation Museum (Jerry Yagen collection) has had Bf 109E-7 WkNr. 2023 under restoration, somewhere in eastern Europe, for well over a decade, but unfortunately there hasn't been any updates/new information about it for at least ten years now.

In Germany, as far as I know the Messerschmitt Foundation/Stiftung continues to work on returning to flight their converted Buchon/turned Bf 109G-10 D-FDME, as well as continuing to work on the complete ground-up rebuild of their converted Buchon/turned Bf 109G-4 D-FWME "Red 7", which has been taking place since its last mishap in 2017.

In the UK, there are several Bf 109s said to be under restoration. These include Bf 109E-1 WkNr. 4034, Bf 109E-7 WkNr. 0854, Bf 109F-4 WkNr.7485, Bf 109F-4 WkNr. 8347, and Bf 109G-2 WkNr. 14798.

In Canada, Don Bradshaw has been rebuilding two Bf 109s - Bf 109G-6 WkNr. 161352 for Kermit Weeks in Florida, and a Bf 109G-10 for himself.

If all of these projects fully reach fruition, as well as if some of the currently non-flyers start flying again, there are going to be quite a large number of DB engines in operation! Especially considering how at one time they were thought to have been next to impossible to find. The majority of all of these projects listed already have engines for them (DB 601s and DB 605s), and there are far more people and companies involved with rebuilding/overhauling those engines than ever before, located all over the world.

Additionally, there are a few more Buchons that we may see fly soon or in the not too distant future. This includes the Vormezeele family's Buchon in Belgium, the Planes of Fame Air Museum's Buchon in Chino, California, and Buchon G-HISP at Air Leasing in the UK (which has been rumored for some years now will be restored in its original Spanish AF markings). Additionally, there are a few more unrestored ex-Connie Edwards Buchons that remain in storage and available for sale.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; August 3rd, 2022 at 08:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post

Priller
    I used to fly the crap outoff the shockwave E , back in fs2004.
    Made a few repaints for it too.
    Christmann1 by Danny Best, on Flickr
    Framm2 by Danny Best, on Flickr
    My guess is that they should still be in the lib here . If it goes that far back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    My personal favorite variant has always been the Bf 109G-2, simply because of "Black 6". Growing up seeing video and photos of that one flying from Duxford in the 90s, it just instantly became for me what a Bf 109 should look like, in all details.
    I was fortunate enough to have seen the Black 6 flying at a North Weald airshow before it was grounded. It was 1995 and I was finishing my master's at UCL in London. My pictures are in slide format, never digitized. Quite an experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    I used to fly the crap outoff the shockwave E , back in fs2004.
    Made a few repaints for it too.
    Christmann1 by Danny Best, on Flickr
    Framm2 by Danny Best, on Flickr
    My guess is that they should still be in the lib here . If it goes that far back.
    I ported the FSX version with mixed success to MSFS, still, it's not the same as a native model. But that was a brilliant model, and it still is for the legacy sims.

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Much needed if it comes with historical correct markings...
    Stupendous photos, thanks

Members who have read this thread: 1