Commander 685 Native P3D conversion - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Commander 685 Native P3D conversion

First, thanks euorstar 350 for a really nice conversion!

Regarding the nose wheel compression (for me the wheel actually sank deep into the pavement), the following change to the contact points solved most of the problem.

// point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.530, 1575, 0, 0.620, 25.000, 0.196, 4.000, 0.950, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.500, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.100, 4.000, 0.750, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

P.S thanks gray eagle for the link on these parameters.

FYI

Don
    Version: P3Dv5.4 HF2, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.3 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080 12GB, RAM: 32GB DDR-5, MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMuskopf View Post
    First, thanks euorstar 350 for a really nice conversion!

Regarding the nose wheel compression (for me the wheel actually sank deep into the pavement), the following change to the contact points solved most of the problem.

// point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.530, 1575, 0, 0.620, 25.000, 0.196, 4.000, 0.950, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.500, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.100, 4.000, 0.750, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

P.S thanks gray eagle for the link on these parameters.

FYI

Don
    Thanks for your suggestion.
    I tried your contact info and there is a little less nose dive but some bounce back - like a coil expanding from compression effect at least for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    there is a little less nose dive but some bounce back - like a coil expanding from compression effect at least for me.
    Yes, there is some bounce back, but hardly noticeable if anti-skid brakes are toggled on. It's definitely more noticeable with anti-skid toggled off.

I'll experiment some more. If I find something better I'll post it.

One other thing. I tried to examine the model with MCX, but it failed to load with a message that "the author does not want you to view the model".
    Version: P3Dv5.4 HF2, CPU: Core i7-13700K @ 5.3 GHz with HT on, GPU: RTX 3080 12GB, RAM: 32GB DDR-5, MONITOR: 32" 4K with G-Sync enabled, OS: Win10 22H2, Target Frame Rate: P3D 120, NCP Max Frame Rate 35.

Okay, I think this works a little better. At least the wheel stays on the ground (or close enough to the ground that it's not too noticeable). Based upon what Milton said, I suspect you need to access to the model to adjust the compression correctly.

point.0= 1, 15.705, 0.000, -5.500, 1575, 0, 0.620, 35.000, 0.110, 4.000, 0.750, 5.000, 4.000, 0, 202.5, 219.9

Blog Entries
    Hi all,

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the new aircraft. Because the models are locked, they can't be opened in MCX (more on that) for further adjustments. For those interested in having the unlocked models and the sounds I forgot to include, I'm including the download link.

As to why the models are locked, it is to prevent unauthorized mods or conversions to FS2020. I'm not sure if Milton has given the greenlight for such mods, but I'm doing it to protect Milton's work and anyone's work that I use for my conversions if no permission exist. Anyone can load up the models into MCX, convert them into an editable "OBJ" file which can be opened in 3DS Max or Blender and make the conversions much easier by anyone that knows how it's done and believe me, I've already seen Milton's Dash 7 in FS2020, at least the FSX conversion I did years ago. Again, it's to protect his work, Arild's work or anyone's work I use. I on the other hand have zero interest in developing for FS2020 because

1.) I lack the software that's capable of producing native models for that platform (I'm not going to learn Blender).

2.) The procedures in creating aircraft is much, much more complex in terms of materials, code, gauges. It's almost completely different and I just don't have the time to sit down and relearn everything I already know

3.) I don't have FS2020 installed. It has since been removed from my rig as I was experiencing too many issues just to get it working properly. And it pretty much is an unfinished platform IMHO

I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers because of the locked models

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by DonMuskopf View Post
    Yes, there is some bounce back, but hardly noticeable if anti-skid brakes are toggled on. It's definitely more noticeable with anti-skid toggled off.

I'll experiment some more. If I find something better I'll post it.

One other thing. I tried to examine the model with MCX, but it failed to load with a message that "the author does not want you to view the model".
    I tried changing the anti skid setting in P3D and yes the wheels will still turn ( a little) when stopping instead of the wheels locking up and not spinning however, in my situation,
    the nose gear still bobs down then up. I used the point=0 settings.

Hey, Butch! Do the wheel(s) bounce when standing still or only when moving? May not be only a "contact point" problem.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Hey, Butch! Do the wheel(s) bounce when standing still or only when moving? May not be only a "contact point" problem.
    I am rolling along and apply the brakes and it bobs down and up like a cheap set of shocks
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 7th, 2022 at 09:55.

//0 Class <0=none,1=wheel, 2=scrape, 3=float>
    //1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
    //2 Lateral Position (feet)
    //3 Vertical Position (feet)
    //4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
    //5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
    //6 Wheel Radius (feet)
    //7 Steer Angle (degrees)
    //8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
    //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
    //10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
    //11 Extension Time (seconds)
    //12 Retraction Time (seconds)
    //13 Sound Type
    //14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)
    //15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

Have you done any changes to //8, //9, or //10 for compression and damping? You may have to increase or decrease the numbers more than you have.

Reminds me of a sign outside of a car tire store! "Let us tire, brake and shock you"!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    //0 Class <0=none,1=wheel, 2=scrape, 3=float>
    //1 Longitudinal Position (feet)
    //2 Lateral Position (feet)
    //3 Vertical Position (feet)
    //4 Impact Damage Threshold (Feet Per Minute)
    //5 Brake Map (0=None, 1=Left, 2=Right)
    //6 Wheel Radius (feet)
    //7 Steer Angle (degrees)
    //8 Static Compression (feet) (0 if rigid)
    //9 Max/Static Compression Ratio
    //10 Damping Ratio (0=Undamped, 1=Critically Damped)
    //11 Extension Time (seconds)
    //12 Retraction Time (seconds)
    //13 Sound Type
    //14 Airspeed limit for retraction (KIAS)
    //15 Airspeed that gear gets damage at (KIAS)

Have you done any changes to //8, //9, or //10 for compression and damping? You may have to increase or decrease the numbers more than you have.

Reminds me of a sign outside of a car tire store! "Let us tire, brake and shock you"!

Most other aircraft cfg files have that data listed but not this one
    And...There is nothing after point #3 listed.

In P3d I have the antiskid brake turned off and in spot view and stopping the aircraft, the wheels don't lock up but the nose still dives down and then when it stops the nose
    will raise back up.
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 7th, 2022 at 11:20.

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the new aircraft. Because the models are locked, they can't be opened in MCX (more on that) for further adjustments. For those interested in having the unlocked models and the sounds I forgot to include, I'm including the download link.

I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers because of the locked models
    Hi George

Thanks for sharing the unblocked model. I replaced the attached lights in the model, which were moved to strange positions during conversion from FS9.

Landing lights are no at exact positions on the main gear strut.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TF0UtwS.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	88106

Also the beacon is on the lower tail

Name:	zv2W97e.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	88107

And also added fslspotlights ...

Name:	tZxHGxz.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	88108

I still have no idea how to correct the panel bleeding through the inside model. Hope everyone enjoys this fix.

You can get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsY...ew?usp=sharing

Dan
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD
    Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, i13900K, Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
    KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, 64 GB DDR5-5600, Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

Anyway to tame the brightness of these lights.

A lot of the light effect is bouncing off the fuselage and looking back at the aircraft gives me the illusion of lights on the sides of the fuselage.

On the real Rockwells a red tail light (beacon) is on the tip (top) of the tail for a reason. That one needs to be illuminated I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by blaunarwal View Post
    Hi George

Thanks for sharing the unblocked model. I replaced the attached lights in the model, which were moved to strange positions during conversion from FS9.

Landing lights are no at exact positions on the main gear strut.

Also the beacon is on the lower tail

And also added fslspotlights ...

I still have no idea how to correct the panel bleeding through the inside model. Hope everyone enjoys this fix.

You can get it here https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsY...ew?usp=sharing

Dan

That "fix" ,mdl killed the red beacon on the tip of the tail (no beacon)
    Reverted to having both upper and lower red beacons.

That "fix" killed the red beacon on the tip of the tail (no beacon)
    Reverted to having both upper and lower red beacons.
    Thatīs certainly the best thing you can do Ivan.

So for all others, I added a second beacon on the fin, but it was not possible to let it move with the fin. I had to leave it static but it blinks, and thatīs the main goal.

The fslabs light was turned away from the fuselage in my version but somehow it reverted to old values in my upload. Changed the values back to 8 degree deflection away from the fuselage, looks better but have no idea, how the real plane had it though.

Name:	mBuqZqx.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	88109

Please download the fix again if you did before.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xsY...ew?usp=sharing
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

I reloaded the fix and the tail and bottom aft fuselage red beacons seem better - Thank you Dan

The landing lights (IMHO) are aimed at the forward fuselage and the light is glancing off the sides of the fuselage. I think a light alignment is needed

Thanks for the fix Dan

Blog Entries
    I'll have a look at the model later. In the meantime, the original tail beacon entry in the aircraft cfg was commented out in favor of the attached light effect. Landing/taxi lights illuminating the VC is a known issue and is something only Lockheed Martin can fix. Some of my converted models have this issue and is something I can't fix

I'm with the FAA and I'm here to help you.....................Now gimme a hug!

Quote Originally Posted by euroastar350 View Post
    I'll have a look at the model later. In the meantime, the original tail beacon entry in the aircraft cfg was commented out in favor of the attached light effect. Landing/taxi lights illuminating the VC is a known issue and is something only Lockheed Martin can fix. Some of my converted models have this issue and is something I can't fix
    George you seem to have misunderstood. There's no VC lighting problem with the Commander.

The lights attached in the your mdl shifted to abnormal positions somehow. I could delete them and added new ones, placed them to the wanted positions. Youīll see, when looking at it in MCX.

The lights in the aircraft.cfg are not a problem. GrayEagle just thought, I had removed a beacon, which wasnīt there before. The attached beacon on the lower tail was missplaced too and fixed by me.

The fslab lights are additional to illuminate the scenery, that was broken by Lockheed Martin some time ago. That is a LM problem and the FSLabs lights are the best solution for the time now. Iīd love to add .fx files illuminatin the ground working with the lights illumination the lamps.

Dan
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

I reloaded the fix and the tail and bottom aft fuselage red beacons seem better - Thank you Dan

The landing lights (IMHO) are aimed at the forward fuselage and the light is glancing off the sides of the fuselage. I think a light alignment is needed

Thanks for the fix Dan

Whatever happens to the FSLabs lights on your side seems to have nothing to do with my lights. The lights shouldnīt be there. Look at my pictures above, which are completely different.

Show me your FSLSpotLights.ini from within the AC685P3D directory.

Dan
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

After the post from Euroastar I investigated the .mdl again and found, the attached lights are only misplaced if the plane is loaded into MCX with the aircraft.cfg file. If itīs loaded directly, it shows the attached lights at the right place. Even the fin strobe is moving with the rudder. So Gerogeīs (Euroastarīs) .mdl is perfect, nothing to complain, sorry.

This strange effect is something I go to discuss with the author of MCX. He may explain it, I hope. Or George, do you know the reason of this?

So the fix is no longer a fix. I added the lower tail beacon, which was outcommented in the aircraft.cfg to the model as attached object. The FSLSpotLights.ini still gives illuminated ground.

The file was updated again.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zZ0uUm5.jpg  
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

I put the ini file you made directly into my 685 directory thus..... G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\Airplanes\AC685P3D
    Had to Google to get some idea for placement. You didn't specify where it should go....you just uploaded the ini file with no further info (readme) on
    where to place it.

I did install the FS Lab lights program (which I did not know was a prerequisite) - Left a lot of guesswork with what to do with the ini file.

This is the ini file from within my 685 directory:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/fupx3...ights.ini/file

BTW, Before you mentioned it, I did look at your picture and noticed a stark difference (landing lights) from my picture. Why mine doesn't look like yours,
    I have no earthly idea......

The pitch and heading of your lights has no bearing on the glare from the fuselage issues I've addressed.
    I experimented with the pitch and heading of your ini within the fslabs program. With the ini light on or off either way.....you can still see the glare off the fuselage and
    euroastar has noted that is was a P3D thing......(I think)
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 8th, 2022 at 05:35.

I put the ini file you made directly into my 685 directory thus..... G:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v5\SimObjects\Airplanes\AC685P3D
    Had to Google to get some idea for placement. You didn't specify where it should go....you just uploaded the ini file with no further info (readme) on
    where to place it.

I did install the FS Lab lights program (which I did not know was a prerequisite) - Left a lot of guesswork with what to do with the ini file.

This is the ini file from within my 685 directory:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/fupx3...ights.ini/file

BTW, Before you mentioned it, I did look at your picture and noticed a stark difference (landing lights) from my picture. Why mine doesn't look like yours,
    I have no earthly idea......

The pitch and heading of your lights has no bearing on the glare from the fuselage issues I've addressed.
    I experimented with the pitch and heading of your ini within the fslabs program. With the ini light on or off either way.....you can still see the glare off the fuselage and
    euroastar has noted that is was a P3D thing......(I think)
    You put the .ini in the right place. It is also the right file. Itīs true, I did not write instructions how to use it, cause itīs for people who know it, and instructions come with the program itself.

Yes, if you want to use it, and have no idea about it, it is some work.

I havenīt a lot of ideas left. One is, what is your Spotlight Manager version? Is it the one for P3Dv5? It is a bit confusing getting the right one at FSLabs. I see on my title bar, FSLSpotlights Manager_P3Dv5. I canīt read yours, you cut it. If I pres help and about I get version 5.0.0.1

Euroastars guess was wrong. If you direct the spotlights away from the cockpit and outside the cockpit, also working with the angles of the light cone, you can remove any light inside the cockpit. What Euroastar meant, was an effect on FSX models landing lights, that enlighted the cockpit. With spotlights you can get this too, as with real world planes, when you have the lights to close to the cockpit, directed into the cockpit.
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

FSLabs_SpotLights_v5.0.0.3.zip

according to euroastar (George)

"Landing/taxi lights illuminating the VC is a known issue and is something only Lockheed Martin can fix. Some of my converted models have this issue and is something I can't fix"

So I surmise he is aware of the glare of the landing lights and claims that only LM can fix it.

At least that is my understanding of it all.

FSLabs_SpotLights_v5.0.0.3.zip

according to euroastar (George)

"Landing/taxi lights illuminating the VC is a known issue and is something only Lockheed Martin can fix. Some of my converted models have this issue and is something I can't fix"

So I surmise he is aware of the glare of the landing lights and claims that only LM can fix it.

At least that is my understanding of it all.
    You mix two problems and want to believe Euroastars explanation. I canīt help you further.
    WIN11, P3D5 on SSD

I'm not mixing up anything

Let's get things straight:

1. There are glare issues off the forward end of the fuselage. Alignment of the landing gear lights will fix this.
    2. I was mentioning that the landing lights are causing the glare issues off the fuselage (Not the VC).
    3. As I reread George post #42 He mentions landing light illuminating the VC and didn't say anything about the glare off the fuselage.
    4. Are you going to be the one and fix this (landing lights fuselage glare)?

Now you tell me where I am "mixing" up the issues? I'm talking landing lights only, the other lights (beacons) are fine. The VC lights are fine too.
    The landing lights need to be aimed outwards away from the fuselage where the light beams are straight ahead.

Lets try to play together better on this and not like it was on a certain previous scenery - Okay?
    Last edited by gray eagle; August 8th, 2022 at 13:39.

Members who have read this thread: 4