Vintage WW2 Planes

Thread: Vintage WW2 Planes

Vintage WW2 Planes

This is a post I made in April of this year in the CFS3 forum.

Being a pilot for 25 years I have flown some vintage aircraft.I traveled across the USA to find them.Today only a few P-47's are flyable,same with other WWII aircraft.

2 weeks ago I flew a P-51D for the third time,great aircraft but not my favorite.

Since I am qualified on multi engine aircraft ( also jets ) I got to fly a P-38 a few years ago,little bit more powerful and faster then my Baron 58.Wasn't my cup of tea but a nice experience.

My Great Uncle flew the P-47 and P-51 during the war and liked them both saying both had there good and bad points.The P-47 could take damage,out dive and was better at ground attack but the P-51 was easier to fly,more agile and better range.

He also had a P-47 that was used for air shows.I got to fly it for the last time in 2000,he sold it in 2003 to a collector.It's now being restored for the last 5 years.I liked the P-51 much better.

My favorite is the F4u-d,it's about 800lbs lighter than the P-47,faster,tighter turn radius,better climb rate and carried 4000lbs of external bombs and rockets,at times napalm.

It was also superior to the F6F and P-51 in all ways mention above.After the landing gear was strengthen to eliminate the bounce when landing on carriers and the British formed a new landing pattern ( 1943 ) it became widely used in US carrier operations.It was used mainly for ground support in Korea.

Hoping to fly a Spitfire some day and there is a P-40e in Canada I'm going to see this summer.

Hiede

The original thread was about the P-47 that I made the post in.

My connections are through family,most served in the military.

A Spitfire IX was fully restored in 2021 and last I heard hasn't had it's flight tests yet.

A F6F has also been recently restored,it took 11 years.

So far only 1 P-47 is flyable that I know of.

The Planes above go for about $4 million or more.

Hiede

I for one love vintage aircraft. I've been to a few air shows and saw the aircraft from the Commemorative Air Force. I'm in awe on how much work and time has gone into restoring and flying these aircraft. My friend John was also a big fan and was able to take a few rides on a B-29 before his passing this year. He shared some of the videos that he took and I though that was amazing.

Whenever I see older aircraft I think it helps me to connect to the past.

Thanks for sharing,

Rob

Hiede

We're all extremely jealous of you

Thank you Hiedi , Its nice to have a pilots feed back , especially the turn radious ,

Members who have read this thread: 3