KHVN Tweed New Haven Airport

Thread: KHVN Tweed New Haven Airport

KHVN Tweed New Haven Airport

I decided to fly Avelo Airlines B737's a nice small airline that fllies to both Myrtle Beach and Wilmington airports and its hub is KHVN in New Haven Connecticut. Well, after a thorough search, there is only one version for FSX/P3D(V1-4) and its 11 years old and was only an update to the default airport. Dusted off the ol' trusty Google Earth and Sketchup and started to create an up to date version. (Now that KPXE is completed and posted).

I almost thought that I didn't have to...there are two new versions: ORBX and Vref. Problem though...both are MSFS2020. Nicely done too bad.

Here is a screenshot of the terminal as completed in MDCx my first completion.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I decided to fly Avelo Airlines B737's a nice small airline that fllies to both Myrtle Beach and Wilmington airports and its hub is KHVN in New Haven Connecticut. Well, after a thorough search, there is only one version for FSX/P3D(V1-4) and its 11 years old and was only an update to the default airport. Dusted off the ol' trusty Google Earth and Sketchup and started to create an up to date version. (Now that KPXE is completed and posted).

I almost thought that I didn't have to...there are two new versions: ORBX and Vref. Problem though...both are MSFS2020. Nicely done too bad.

Here is a screenshot of the terminal as completed in MDCx my first completion.

There is obviously ORBX KHVN for P3D v4 and 5
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    P3D v3.4
    P3D v4.5
    FSX-SE
    X-Plane 11

But It's Not For FSX and P3D V1-3

Quote Originally Posted by thefrog View Post
    There is obviously ORBX KHVN for P3D v4 and 5
    Its not FSX or P3D V1-3 and you have to BUY it. Mine will be free for all to use and probably should work in P3D V4 as well. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Its not FSX or P3D V1-3 and you have to BUY it. Mine will be free for all to use and probably should work in P3D V4 as well. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
    ORBX in P3d4.4: other than runway/taxiway layout and static vehicles, the terminal and buildings are very generic

Custom Buildings

I am making the hangers and buildings as accurately as I can with the photos that I have available so they will be much better than default or generic ones. Just finished the Fly The Whale Hanger on the GA apron.

Last edited by tgycgijoes; July 26th, 2022 at 14:50.

Being from Connecticut, I am looking forward to your new Tweed New Haven airport!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Coming Along

With a bit of effort, I was able to download the Cessna C208 Amphibian freeware online and then with even more effort repaint it so that all textures which are one sheet C208_T would match the one online on Google Earth by the latest finished hanger. In real life you can see the "A.Society" on the top wing. In their "infinite wisdom" the modelers by making only one half of the wing barely visible on the sheet in FSX end up like other things I tried to repaint no way to center it and get it to be correct. One half is "right-reading" and the other half is mirrored. Much of FSX and FS9 default bgls are all like this. Phooey, so no text. The rest is nice. I created it in SAMM2 as a static aircraft BUT had had FSX errors when I first tried to use the MDL so I converted it to a BGL in MDCx and as you can see that works well. I am relating all the problems so that noobies first using this don't think it's their fault, it's a program quirk. All is now well as you can see below. You will also notice that the siding texture is very dark and not like my hanger. There appear to be two different sidings used on this building which so far has had at least three owners since 2015. I chose the latest and as I do on all my custom buildings, match the photo texture in Adobe Photoshop and then create a custom texture in Sketchup:

Another GA Hanger Added

Here is a screenshot in FSX of the second of the three in a row hangers: Executive Jet Mgnt. It was fun using MajRail for the railings on the handicapped ramp and the regular entry. One hanger a day ain't bad with experience gained with each one.

Three and a half days work

I just got through with three and a half days work on this because of the office but I am pleased it was worth it. Interestingly, all three of these same but different hangers are textured just slightly different as well as the door arrangements. The unique shape of the office was the challenge. It is supposed to be landscaped which I am going to attempt in Sketchup and see how it works out (or not LOL). If it doesn't work out, it will be flat on the photoreal background which IMO is not that big a deal. I would just like to try.

I Haven't Forgotten

This thread is still very much alive. Had to do a few real life things this week. I have the photoreal background the way I like it and it meshes perfectly I think with FSX. I have illuminated all the buildings I have made so far for nighttime. Now I am going to attempt making a night photoreal texture from the daytime one. Wish me luck. Results posted here and then on to a few of the buildings that are left. Disappointed that photoreal background and groundpoly don't go together, GP disappears. I posted a thread over at FSDevelopers to clarify this but have had no responses at all. So no enhanced taxiways. Since the runway markings are bgl's in ADE4 not GP they stay on the taxiways. Will tackle this tomorrow.

Hard Work

For the last three days I have been trying to enhance the photoreal background with night textures and winter textures. After following an online instruction on how to create the night texture and help from Falcon409 on Teamspeak3, I was able to get the night texture created. Problem was now that I got it I thought that all I had to do was recompile the photo01.sbx and the night texture would be incorporated but that was NOT the case so I went back to hunting on the internet for help. I found a topic on night textures and winter textures that said I had to MANUALLY edit the photo01.inf and gave me an example that when I followed it merged the photo01_N.bmp perfectly into the new Photo01.bgl it created and I'm good. Now to W for winter texture. I found a video which in 3 minutes created a beautiful winter texture using Layer Threshold and Invert in Photoshop. It looks beautiful. So following the previous procedure, I manually edited the INF, "Resample" by dragging it onto the resample in SBX work folder all according to the instruction. Open up FSX. Only one problem that I saw immediately and have run into before as have all who design photoreal scenery...pure white is RED!!! I tried an overlay of a 15% fill layer of gray but that didn't help so for the present for the next three months until its December and winter in Connecticut and other New England states. I'm open to suggestions from successful winter photoreal creators. BTW, Falcon409 told me at the end of our conversation don't do winter its a nightmare. ACES didn't tell anyone how they did it for FSX before they vamoosed.

For the last three days I have been trying to enhance the photoreal background with night textures and winter textures. After following an online instruction on how to create the night texture and help from Falcon409 on Teamspeak3, I was able to get the night texture created. Problem was now that I got it I thought that all I had to do was recompile the photo01.sbx and the night texture would be incorporated but that was NOT the case so I went back to hunting on the internet for help. I found a topic on night textures and winter textures that said I had to MANUALLY edit the photo01.inf and gave me an example that when I followed it merged the photo01_N.bmp perfectly into the new Photo01.bgl it created and I'm good. Now to W for winter texture. I found a video which in 3 minutes created a beautiful winter texture using Layer Threshold and Invert in Photoshop. It looks beautiful. So following the previous procedure, I manually edited the INF, "Resample" by dragging it onto the resample in SBX work folder all according to the instruction. Open up FSX. Only one problem that I saw immediately and have run into before as have all who design photoreal scenery...pure white is RED!!! I tried an overlay of a 15% fill layer of gray but that didn't help so for the present for the next three months until its December and winter in Connecticut and other New England states. I'm open to suggestions from successful winter photoreal creators. BTW, Falcon409 told me at the end of our conversation don't do winter its a nightmare. ACES didn't tell anyone how they did it for FSX before they vamoosed.
    Richard, as we talked about previously. . .recompiling with the added night texture is actually all that you needed to do to have the night texture incorporated. If it didn't work then you missed something in the process. Yes, you can alter the inf file if you are working out of a work folder rather than allowing SBX to handle your compiles. Also, we spoke at one time about the "red" in winter textures, it's because solid white (255,255,255) is interpreted by the compiler as red. This can be corrected either by loading your winter texture into PSP and slightly lowering the brightness level as that the white is less than 255. . .or adjusting the "Null Value" in the inf file.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Richard, as we talked about previously. . .recompiling with the added night texture is actually all that you needed to do to have the night texture incorporated. If it didn't work then you missed something in the process. Yes, you can alter the inf file if you are working out of a work folder rather than allowing SBX to handle your compiles. Also, we spoke at one time about the "red" in winter textures, it's because solid white (255,255,255) is interpreted by the compiler as red. This can be corrected either by loading your winter texture into PSP and slightly lowering the brightness level as that the white is less than 255. . .or adjusting the "Null Value" in the inf file.
    thank you for the quick reply. I said that I remembered that pure white in PR turns red. I tried to overlay it with a light gray overlay but didn't work. I will try the null value and see if that works.

thank you for the quick reply. I said that I remembered that pure white in PR turns red. I tried to overlay it with a light gray overlay but didn't work. I will try the null value and see if that works.
    Ok, also sometime we need to get on TS and chat about how you are actually doing these compiles. In most cases I use SBX to do my compiles. The more in depth sceneries I use a work folder and the resample file to merge everything. It's been my experience that if you are using SBX to compile you cannot edit the inf file because it simply reverts back to it's default settings once you close it after making changes.

There were also other things you mention in your post that may cause you the problems you're having.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

OK

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Ok, also sometime we need to get on TS and chat about how you are actually doing these compiles. In most cases I use SBX to do my compiles. The more in depth sceneries I use a work folder and the resample file to merge everything. It's been my experience that if you are using SBX to compile you cannot edit the inf file because it simply reverts back to it's default settings once you close it after making changes.

There were also other things you mention in your post that may cause you the problems you're having.
    I'll see if perhaps next week we can get together on TS again and go through this. Thank you. Have a great rest of the week.

Out For Beta

This is out for testing (minus winter photoreal texture which is still in development with assistance) more updates to come.

It's All Done

The airport is now complete a big thanks to Falcon409 who took over for me and finished the photoreal I was having problems with and placing all the autogen on them. Its is the Warbirds Library to download. Now on to the next one. Watch the post.

Thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 0