MB question on waypoints

Thread: MB question on waypoints

MB question on waypoints

There's been a scenario plaguing me for sometime and I'm hoping there is some way around it. During a mission you reach waypoint 2, turn and fly towards 3. You reach waypoint 3 then turn towards waypoint 4 but before you get there there is combat. During the combat you pass waypoint 4. After combat you have not hit waypoint 4 and you are now closer to waypoint 5. However the display is still pointing you towards waypoint 4 and if you try to warp it puts you back at waypoint 4. Question, is there any way to avoid this and have the display now point to waypoint 5 and warp to 5 bypassing 4? Does the "Warp To" check box on your waypoint screen in MB have anything to do with this. I've looked at CC's mission building handbook but this scenario is not covered in enough detail.

In MB you can select which waypoints you can warp to, and which to ignore/bypass when you warp. Uncheck the "warp to" box for any waypoints you want to bypass. In your scenario just uncheck the "warp to" box for waypoint 4, but make sure it's checked for waypoint 5. The display will still point to waypoint 4 though after you have passed waypoint 3.

Quote Originally Posted by RWILLS View Post
    In MB you can select which waypoints you can warp to, and which to ignore/bypass when you warp. Uncheck the "warp to" box for any waypoints you want to bypass. In your scenario just uncheck the "warp to" box for waypoint 4, but make sure it's checked for waypoint 5. The display will still point to waypoint 4 though after you have passed waypoint 3.
    ...and I would add: Be sure to add an event to your arrival at WP 3 to enable warp. Ignore the warp messages until after the action near WP 4. That should take you through WP 4 enroute to WP 5.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I've also had this problem frequently, and there are several possible solutions.

The easiest one has already been pointed out, uncheck the Warp To box for the waypoint you want to bypass. However, after the combat you will still have the guidance towards Waypoint 4, in your example. And the sim will calculate flight time and fuel consumption from the position where you warp via WP 4 to WP 5.

Another way to handle this would be to plot WP 4 just a mile or two past WP 3. Create an event disabling warp at WP 3, and show a message instructing the player to maintain the present heading and only to proceed to the next waypoint when ready to return to base. Next spawn the combat that you want to happen, delay three or four minutes and enable warp.
    When the enemy planes appear the waypoint guidance is hidden, and when it is displayed again after the combat you have waypoint guidance to WP 5, warp enabled to this waypoint, and correct flight time and fuel burn.

My preferred method however, is to use an alternate route. Plot your route, and then plot an alternate waypoint next to WP 5, and more beside all other remaining waypoints you may have on the way to base. Make sure you uncheck the Warp To box at WP 5 and all further waypoints of the original route. I'd also hide them to avoid confusion on the briefing map. You cannot warp to the first waypoint of an alternate route, so you must place a second waypoint next to the first one, and tick the Warp To box.
    Now create a similar event as described above at WP 3. Disable warp, spawn the desired action, delay a few minutes and then change the route for the player flight and enable warp again.
    So when you reach WP 3 you initially have guidance towards WP 4, but cannot warp.
    At some point the enemy planes appear and waypoint guidance is hidden. During the fight the waypoints will change to the alternate route, but since they are hidden you won't notice. After the action you have guidance to the first waypoint of the alternate route, which is located next to the original WP 5 and warp is available to this point.

This method involves a little more work, but in my opinion is quite elegant and well worth the extra effort.

Members who have read this thread: 1