Most air spawn .xml files have a final waypoint which is <Waypoint Type="turn" PositionType="home" Speed="120"/>

This seems fine for friendly air spawns. Trouble is, from my observations enemy spawns don't seem to know where "home" is. When I fly a CAP mission, and am chasing a damaged enemy aircraft, it as often as not goes deeper into friendly territory. Indeed, I do not remember a pursuit where the fleeing aircraft heads across the channel to escape.

So I spent a couple of days messing around with different final waypoints. I stuck to editing the enemy air spawn files. When I used a formulation employed by some stock enemy spawns, I failed to get any enemy spawning activity at all.

Here is a stock final waypoint: <Waypoint Type="landanywhere" PositionType="ground" Position="ground,distant,enemy" Speed="100"/>

As far as I can tell, this doesn't work! I also tried Position="ground,airbase,enemy". This also didn't work. Remember I tried these formulations across all enemy air spawns and drew a complete blank in enemy air activity.

Then I tried <Waypoint Type="landanywhere" PositionType="ground" Position="ground,airbase" Flags="enemy" Speed="100"/>. This does not work either.

Then I found another final waypoint formulation in order to get enemy a/c to sod off home instead of meandering around across friendly airspace. What I did was to modify another stock formulation and came up with:
<Waypoint Type="landanywhere" PositionType="facility-die-roll" Distance="46000" Flags="enemy" Die="2d6" Speed="0"/>
Note the enemy flag which encourages the enemy to sod off home. So a big improvement over the common formulation: <Waypoint Type="turn" PositionType="home" Speed="120"/>
I also greatly increased the distance parameter to allow for channel crossings. The speed=0 came from the stock formulation.

Does anyone know why the type="Landing" is not used? "Landanywhere" seems to be used as a preference.

All comments/feedback welcome