Just thinking of MSFS aircraft I'd like to see....

Thread: Just thinking of MSFS aircraft I'd like to see....

Just thinking of MSFS aircraft I'd like to see....

I doubt many people have considered it, but I am hopeful that some designer would consider doing the A-6 or even the RA5C for MSFS. Virtavia and Razbam did the Intruder for FSX and I like them both. But the Viggie never really got updated. NC

I really wish the posters on the official forum weren't such jerks to creators who don't uber-detail-texture-simulate-every-fuse in their planes. Because I'd be quite happy to see the Virtavia fleet in MSFS at their existing detail, just ported to the native SDK.

But BostonJeremy (sorry, still bitter about the way he treated GAS and their resulting exit from MSFS support) and the rest of the texture mafia would eviscerate them, even though those products at a reasonable price would make a lot of us happy.

I'd love to see the RA-5C, A-3, F4D Skyray, F11F Tiger, F3H Demon, and so many of the other Virtavia/Alphasim classics in MSFS. (They'd still benefit from the better graphic engine even if they had grainy old P3D instrument panels.)

But because of the "anything that doesn't look as detailed as the stock aircraft is a travesty that shouldn't exist" attitude of the vocal MSFS posters on the official forum and other places, we likely never will, because realistically, the market for an F4D Skyray or FJ-3M Fury just ain't big enough to do one at the detail/systems level those guys demand.

I am really hoping Carenado gets around to their T-34, though, because with the F-15, Cessna 310, and Mooney in the sim, that's the only plane I've been at the controls of IRL that's not in the sim yet!

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    Because I'd be quite happy to see the Virtavia fleet in MSFS at their existing detail, just ported to the native SDK.
    As would I, as long as they were priced appropriately. Their H.P. Hampden appeared in X-Plane not so long ago, with a brand-new VC, which I suspect was done by Flight Replicas. At long last, the external model had the VC it deserved, and I'd very much like to see it in MSFS. But again, only as long as the price is more realistic than in recent years.

Would REALLY like to see a B-57B/EB-57 in MSFS...The only love that airplane EVER got was via Alphasim/Virtavia (and no, the plethora of of EE Canberras released by Alphasim/Virtavia and Steve Beeny don't count...)

Kent

I'd of course much prefer to see the Just Flight Canberra PR9 in MSFS

TBH I don't think too many people would go for straight ports of older FSX aircraft, though many of the FSX Imports I did into MSFS were really good and I would pay for an MSFS rebuild but would there be enough of us to make it worthwhile at an economic unit price?
    Meanwhile I keep P3D and Xplane running as my museums...

Quote Originally Posted by DennyA View Post
    I really wish the posters on the official forum weren't such jerks to creators who don't uber-detail-texture-simulate-every-fuse in their planes. Because I'd be quite happy to see the Virtavia fleet in MSFS at their existing detail, just ported to the native SDK.

But BostonJeremy (sorry, still bitter about the way he treated GAS and their resulting exit from MSFS support) and the rest of the texture mafia would eviscerate them, even though those products at a reasonable price would make a lot of us happy.

I'd love to see the RA-5C, A-3, F4D Skyray, F11F Tiger, F3H Demon, and so many of the other Virtavia/Alphasim classics in MSFS. (They'd still benefit from the better graphic engine even if they had grainy old P3D instrument panels.)

But because of the "anything that doesn't look as detailed as the stock aircraft is a travesty that shouldn't exist" attitude of the vocal MSFS posters on the official forum and other places, we likely never will, because realistically, the market for an F4D Skyray or FJ-3M Fury just ain't big enough to do one at the detail/systems level those guys demand.
    I agree 150%. Like the way some, if not all, freeware designers are treated. They release a creation for the community, and they are instantly attacked/devoured by some members. Even over here. For some reason some people don't care about the hours that developers invest in their creations, most of the time releasing stuff that would normally not even see the light of day in MSFS because they're not financially viable. Instead they get vicious attacks and public humiliation. IMHO, that is disgusting. If you see something that isn't right, I'm pretty sure that any dev would like a private, honest, polite suggestion to improve their creations. But publicly attacking them and humiliating them is just not done.

A freeware dev recently told me in private that "I am reluctant to release any more models to the general public as the MSFS brigade, although small in numbers are big on complaints! Anything less than “Milviz” standard is dismissed out of hand. Releasing a freeware model is like throwing red meat to a pack of howling wolves!"

I think that we, as a community, should give that some thought. If we would still like to see more of the rare, unusual, exotic things to see the light of day in MSFS, then we should tone down our criticism a bit. Things that are released free of charge, sometimes payware quality, sometimes not, are things that we should be thankful for.

People who think they know better or even can do better themselves should do so. Those who can't, could do with some lessons in good manners.

Cheers,

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

I demand that all aircraft ever made for fs be converted over to msfs in the high quality that I expect and deserve! and NOW!!!!

LouP

@Denny @Priller

I echo these sentiments. It's worth noting though that the vocal 1% are precisely that, 1%. Flight sim, like many hobbies, has a "silent majority", and their majority speaks louder in sales than it does on some forum where many of these supposed "experts" have never flown a real airplane and often are barely old enough to shave.

20 years' of sales data tells a clear story: 70% + or so of all flight sim fans don't want study-level airplanes, and that figure is likely higher now with the console users on board in MSFS. They mostly want mid-level airplanes, but also do admire and enjoy good texturing and modeling. Freeware is in my opinion one of the only things that kept flight sim alive when it was in deep decline, until Prepar3D became a thing. Freeware developers deserve recognition and support from users, they're the bedrock of the hobby in many ways.

I got into the hobby flying around in Virtavia / Alphasim and IRIS airplanes. They were fantastic. I could handle super-detailed airplanes, but after a long day at work the last thing I wanted was to spend 30 minutes trying to start an engine. I approach my own airplanes now with the same ethos; people do this mostly for entertainment, not to learn to fly for real. I model for the customer, not my ego.

In 2023, it's my plan to continue with these level of airplanes but start branching out from the main-stream jets and build some lesser-known airplanes. I'm hoping that other devs do the same as we become better established and can start approaching projects that might have a smaller but still significant audience.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

To be clear, I'm not proposing actual portovers (which are buggy and don't fly right), but rather native SDK ports of the existing models/art, to keep costs down.

Add a "Flight Sim Classics" section to Marketplace, price these at $10-15, and devs would likely cover their costs/time easily.

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    In 2023, it's my plan to continue with these level of airplanes but start branching out from the main-stream jets and build some lesser-known airplanes. I'm hoping that other devs do the same as we become better established and can start approaching projects that might have a smaller but still significant audience.
    This makes me so happy to hear! I'm an aviation history nut, and to be able to get a glimpse of what it was like to fly something like a Cutlass or Skyray is awesome to me. (Still super-excited by your P-61!)

I was lucky enough to get some time at the controls in the back seat of of an F-15D many years ago. The startup/systems aspect of that flight was exactly 0% of the excitement. I have the DCS F-15, and your packages for P3D and MSFS, and while I appreciate both (combat in DCS is exciting), I love that I can fly yours in the amazing scenery in MSFS and fly in and out of Tyndall, recreating my actual flight. The level of detail in your planes is all I need to recreate that thrill. (Though the both DCS and DC Designs fail miserably in recreating the 7.8 G's part of that experience, or the trepidation that I'll have to put one hour of ejection seat training to actual use.)

I can guess who the designer quoted above is, and that makes me so sad, because we saw such incredible niche and cool historical planes from them for FSX/P3D.

I would love to see Glowing Heat bring his hanger to MSFS. Skip
    Asus Rog Strix Z 390 Intel I 9900 36 g Ram@4200 1080 TI Overclock 4.9

Not directly relevant to the title of this thread but.... I think it was FS9 that allowed us to run more than one version of the Sim on our PC's. This was great because it meant that I could have one Sim that was dedicated to the 70's - 80's with the Alphasim/Virtavia Canmberras and Ricks JP's / Hunters etc etc AND have scenery/bases for that period.

My other Sim version was the modern era so with Kirks F-16's, Mirage F-1's etc, Dave M's wonderful VC-10's, 1-11's and helicopters like the MH-53.
    I could also construct my own AI activities which actually became as much fun as actual flying!

I cant remember exactly how I set it up but it was simple to use - just had two different launch icons on my desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by collensr View Post
    I think it was FS9 that allowed us to run more than one version of the Sim on our PC's. This was great because it meant that I could have one Sim that was dedicated to the 70's - 80's with the Alphasim/Virtavia Canmberras and Ricks JP's / Hunters etc etc AND have scenery/bases for that period.
    This is actually easily doable on MSFS with a single install, using MSFS Addons Linker. I use it regularly because I have too many addons collected at this point to load everything every time -- it would take too long, and would very likely have multiple conflicts. You can save groups of add-ons as presets and then load them with two clicks.

So, for example, because some planes conflict (the Constellation and F-104 have an effects conflict, for example), I have a preset for modern jet fighters, a preset for historical military planes, one for GA planes, etc. Similar presets for the US West Coast, US Southeast, UK/Ireland/France, etc.

If there was a good collection of historical airports, you could easily have those and your period planes on a single preset.

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    Like DennyA, that makes me very happy indeed! But I still am waiting for the magic word that you uttered in another thread: "Phantom". it's like hearing "beetlejuice" three times!!

Priller
    Windows 11 23H2 Enterprise Edition
    Intel i9 13900KF @ 5.8 GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler
    G-Skill 32Gb DDR5 RAM 7600-36
    MSI Z790 Motherboard
    Nvidia RTX4090 Graphics Card
    Samsung 1TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 C: drive
    Samsung 2TB 980 EVO PCIe M.2 Data drive
    be quiet! Straight Power CM1000W PSU

Quote Originally Posted by skipph View Post
    I would love to see Glowing Heat bring his hanger to MSFS. Skip
    I would love to do that, but the time required to process a back catalogue into working MSFS while also learning a new modelling tool to a payware standard just isn't currently practical.

Believe me, I'd love to get my Hustler and Blackbirds into it.

In fact, there was a time when I could get my Blackbirds into it without much modification, but Asobo took away that functionality right back at one of the first updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    As would I, as long as they were priced appropriately. Their H.P. Hampden appeared in X-Plane not so long ago, with a brand-new VC, which I suspect was done by Flight Replicas. At long last, the external model had the VC it deserved, and I'd very much like to see it in MSFS. But again, only as long as the price is more realistic than in recent years.
    The XP11 Hampden is currently on sale, couldn't resist it ... very nice and very low footprint - 48MB download including a bunch of liveries
    Lovely single-seat cockpit (could do with some weathering) all levers, knobs and clocks Sounds great and best of all the cockpit opens IN FLIGHT and the sounds get even better!

A bit low-poly and low-res outside but I fly inside and in VR so mostly fine for me - I would be happy with this in MSFS, not sure how many would be ... but far better than some of the junk that is sold for MSFS!

Must reread https://www.amazon.co.uk/Damned-Good.../dp/0857051172

Members who have read this thread: 0