Didn't quite make it

Thread: Didn't quite make it

Didn't quite make it

I'm working on further developing the dash 3 Hellcat into the later dash 5 version. I was hoping to complete it before we leave for a couple of weeks in the Tetons in Wyoming, but didn't quite get there. We leave tomorrow morning. Finishing the final paint tweaks etc will have to wait until I get back in July. But here is a preview of what's coming. The superb pilot figure is Shessi's contribution. Thanks bud.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-5.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	173.1 KB 
ID:	87729
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Cool plane and COOL Tetons. I'm jealous ( of the trip)
    100 + degree days here until early next week.

Guess there is little interest then
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

I don't know what the reason is, but I have the feeling most forums are awfully quiet to the low amount of replies, doesn't really surprise me. When I look at myself, real life keeps me quite busy and there are a few things I would like to finish, but which somehow never come to an end.
    But I'm convinced the low response has nothing to do with a lack of interest, and I'm sure the model will get the attention is deserves once release. (Somehow it seems people are more enthusiastic when they get a present )

But the model looks great as usual.

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I don't know what the reason is, but I have the feeling most forums are awfully quiet to the low amount of replies, doesn't really surprise me. When I look at myself, real life keeps me quite busy and there are a few things I would like to finish, but which somehow never come to an end.
    But I'm convinced the low response has nothing to do with a lack of interest, and I'm sure the model will get the attention is deserves once release. (Somehow it seems people are more enthusiastic when they get a present )

But the model looks great as usual.

Cheers,
    Huub
    Mr. Vink, here's hoping you manage to find the time to upload your very nice paints of the FS2004 Reggiane Re2001 and the Macchi MC.200 Saetta!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    Arf, arf, good one

Me, I'm still digesting the wonderful -3 ...

Next thing, you'll be telling me you're part way through making a campaign pack that showcases the Hellcat too ...

I'm with you...keep goin'

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Captain Kurt
    I don't know the difference between -3 and -5 except the -5N ---unless I look it up.
    So if I can use either one somewhere, I will.

Icon23 My 2 cents

I dunno the diff. between the 3 & 5 is either?

I'm pretty sure the "N" means:
    the Navy is responsible for blowing up your ass today!

Seriously Kurt:

You give us so many "jewels" .. but we can only repay you with an honest appreciation of your arduous labours.
    I am astounded by your level of detail - "lovin' every rivet on it" ... isn't that how the song goes? LOL!!!

MANY THANKS & keep up the GREAT WORK Cap!

- from a member of the "somewhat" silent majority?

Dirtman

~~ CFS2 Fulfills my need to "peacefully" blow things up ~~

Go for it Kurt. Based on your earlier aircraft this is bound to be a keeper.

Captain Kurt,

I downloaded the last one my son and he is looking forward to the new one.

You are also one of the few that keeps this sim alive,UT and Stuart are 2 others that come to mind.I know there are others but can't remember the names.

Hiede

Quote Originally Posted by KC013 View Post
    Mr. Vink, here's hoping you manage to find the time to upload your very nice paints of the FS2004 Reggiane Re2001 and the Macchi MC.200 Saetta!!!
    Huub,
    me too !!!
    Although it seems that there is no interest in Ito MC 200 & Re 2001 .

I am looking forward to fly with -5 .

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
    I dunno the diff. between the 3 & 5 is either?

------
    A -3 vs -5 is easy at first glance; the -5 does not have the small window behind the sliding canopy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    A -3 vs -5 is easy at first glance; the -5 does not have the small window behind the sliding canopy
    Early -5s do have this small window.

The dash 5 was an upgrade Hellcat mark after the dash 3. The dash 3 was the primary Navy fighter from 1943 through most of 1944 the dash 5 replaced it in late 1944 through 1945.

The early dash 5 retained the small rear window but it was soon deleted. The windscreen was changed to have a flat bullet proof front and deleted the small braces to make it a 3 piece glass. The cowl was tightened by removal of the small cheek bulges. The blue nav ID light on the turtle deck was deleted. The cockpit armor was changed. Other changes also but those don’t show up visually.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

My son wants to ask if you are doing the 2 variants with the 20mm cannons?One had 4 x 20mm and ther has 2 x 20mm and 4 x 50 cal.

Hiede

Usually don't get to contribute much here, so thought I'd give back what I could!

Found this on Wiki. Thought I'd kill two birds with one stone (20mm question and -5N question).

F6F-5N Hellcat (British Hellcat N.F. Mk II)

Night fighter version, fitted with an AN/APS-6 radar. Some were armed with two 20 mm (0.79 in) AN/M2 cannon in the inner wing bays and four 0.50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns in the outer.

Here's a pic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F6F-5N_NAS_Jax_1944-45.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	220.1 KB 
ID:	87835

The big "zit" on the right wing is the radar.

Regards,

Jorge

Hiedi
    The mixed 2x20mm and 4x.50cal was used on the dash 5N night fighter only. Is that what he wants?
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Hiedi
    The mixed 2x20mm and 4x.50cal was used on the dash 5N night fighter only. Is that what he wants?
    Captain Kurt

All I know he is working on a Enterprise Campaign.He said the Enterprise used the Corsair and Hellcat for night operations along with the Avenger.

BTW my name is spelled Hiede not Hiedi,LOL.After all these years in SOH, ( me since 2003 ) you'd get the spelling right at some point.No offense intended.

Heide

Not offended and hope you aren’t either. Believe it or not I have mild dyslexia and often use spell check to get spellings straight. I don’t think it gets Hiede. What is your sons name BTW?

He is right Enterprise became an all night fighter carrier for its last deployment. Definitely F6F-5N air group. I wasn’t going to make the N but I will do it for your son so he’ll have it for his campaign.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Captain Kurt

I'm not offended,a lot of people at SOH spell my name wrong.My one brother in law has the same thing.

Here's some screenshots of the Hellcat night fighter my son has now in Enterprise textures.

My son's name is Micheal,after his cousin who passed away.Since I am part Cherokee he has a name from our culture as does my daughter.

Hiede
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F6F-5N Enter[rise 001.jpg   F6F-5N Enter[rise 002.jpg   F6F-5N Enter[rise 003.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0