F6f3_hellcat released by Captain Kurt!

Thread: F6f3_hellcat released by Captain Kurt!

Hybrid View

Icon22 F6f3_hellcat released by Captain Kurt!

I've been working on the F6F-3 Hellcat for the last couple of months now. I'm getting more and more OJT (on the job training) about FSDS modeling as I go. It's a complicated aircraft to model, what with the many detailed parts in the exposed wing structures, getting complex animations working well and still keeping the parts in alignment, etc, etc. I've had to redo it many times - mostly correcting my mistakes or adjusting /aligning parts, HA. I'm finally getting it beaten into submission I think. I'm still contemplating detailing the rear engine compartment that would be seen when the cowl flaps are opened. Not much visual documentation from those angles, but otherwise it's ready for texture mapping and later, painting. It may be finished in a month or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image6.jpg   Image8.jpg   Image5.jpg   Image1.jpg   Image4.jpg  
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Kurt

Excellent looking Hellcat

Although OJT can be frustrating at times, you certainly do learn from your mistakes

Blimey CK!

You've certainly moved up several gears, that looks superb.

Regarding cowl flap engine detail, could be done for a no-poly cost with a tex.

Cheers

Shessi

What you've done looks terrific! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Shessi, I actually made a stab at making a tex substitute for the engine compartment but I wasn't very impressed with the result. Perhaps if I can find a suitable photo somewhere it would be more realistic looking.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Library Staff
    Beautiful work Kurt - looking forward to the Hellcat.

Kevin

Nice one ,Kurt.... looks like we finally get a an official cfs2 version after all!!!!

Cheers mav

Hellcar Progress

This is what the direct CFS2 stock Hellcat replacement livery looks like. It will also have a VF unit markings version. I still have much to finish: the VC, the LODs, the belly drop tank, the wing bomb racks, add the instruments, the dp, cfg, and a few tweaks here and there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base Hellcat skin.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	87639
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Wow! Looking great. Amazing work (on all your projects.)

normb

Just awesome Kurt

Now, back to work!

Very sharp!

Cheers

Shessi

Thanks boys. I think the typo in my headline must be a Freudian slip, as this model has definitely given me hell more than once trying to get it right.
    Last edited by Captain Kurt; June 15th, 2022 at 08:42.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

F6f3_hellcat

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat

Direct replacement for the stock CFS2 Hellcat - uses M$oft stock bombs and rockets, and no unit markings.

Simple, rugged, and deadly, yet easy to fly, the Hellcat was another product of the Grumman Iron Works. It was larger, heavier, faster, and more powerful than Grumman's F4F Wildcat, and the first American fighter to exceed the performance of the Mitsubishi Zero. Its immense 18-cylinder, 2,000 horsepower radial engine gave it the power to dictate the terms of engagement. Its speed, maneuverability, high-altitude capability, and typical Grumman toughness made it a winner against all comers.

Credits

Captain Kurt: Aircraft model, drop tank, bomb racks, VC, paint textures, panel, aircraft.cfg and .dp
    Shessi: Pilot figure
    Kelticheart: Prop blurred texture
    Microsoft: Gauges and .air file

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F6F3_HELLCAT
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.
    Last edited by Captain Kurt; June 22nd, 2022 at 15:31.

F6f3_hellcat_vf-2

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - American

Description: Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat VF-2

Unit: VF-2 USS Hornet (CV-12) March - September 1944

Simple, rugged, and deadly, yet easy to fly, the Hellcat was another product of the Grumman Iron Works. It was larger, heavier, faster, and more powerful than Grumman's F4F Wildcat, and the first American fighter to exceed the performance of the Mitsubishi Zero. Its immense 18-cylinder, 2,000 horsepower radial engine gave it the power to dictate the terms of engagement. Its speed, maneuverability, high-altitude capability, and typical Grumman toughness made it a winner against all comers.

Credits

Captain Kurt: Aircraft model, drop tank, bomb racks, VC, paint textures, panel, aircraft.cfg and .dp

Bombs and rockets used are from Dbolt's db_us_wep_v2.0a package available at Sim-Outhouse.com
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=281&id=6270

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F6F3_HELLCAT_VF-2
    Last edited by Captain Kurt; June 22nd, 2022 at 15:32.

F6f3_hellcat_vf-9

Description: Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat VF-9

Early production F6F-3 with forwad canted antenna mast.
    Unit: VF-9 USS Essex (CV-9) August 1943

Credits

Captain Kurt: Aircraft model, drop tank, bomb racks, VC, painting, panel, aircraft.cfg and .dp

Bombs and rockets used are from Dbolt's db_us_wep_v2.0a package available at Sim-Outhouse.com

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F6F3_HELLCAT_VF-9

F6f3_hellcat_vf-19

Description: Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat VF-19

Unit: VF-19 "Satan's Kittens" USS Lexington (CV-16) October 1944
    Pilot: Lt. Bruce W. Williams

Credits

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F6F3_HELLCAT_VF-19

Let me be the first to thank you Captain Kurt,my son was looking forward to this plane to continue work on his USS Enterprise campaign his uncle started years ago.

Hiede

Thank you Hiedi, I very much look forward to seeing it when he is finished.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt

Great job Captain Kurt, very nice addition to my library. VC looks great too nicely done

Cheers
    Aussie

Members who have read this thread: 1